Problems with lower back after golf- Any suggestions?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As the heading says this is becoming a problem.

Played football, cricket, squash, tennis, golf plus other sports al my life and am will be 70 later this year.
Struggling with lower back pain, both sides of back after round. Sometimes have a warm bath, also take a pain killer before the round and rub my back with Iburofen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple but boring answer would be to seek medical advice and maybe get it scanned/x-rays. Without being rude it may simply be that golf is putting excess strain on your back and maybe the discs are struggling but without getting it seen I can't see how it will get better other than not playing

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pilates.

Your core isn't either switching on sufficiently to support your activity or strong enough to support it.

You will probably be the only bloke there, you won't need a leotard...

This is to minimise the impact of playing on your body - as already said you should seek medical advice on any treatment (although ice is generally accepted as the safe option - hot baths are not a safe option and painkillers before heading out are definitely a bad option)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers.

I go to the gym 2/3 times a week. Another thing that probably has not helped is I add leg weights wrapped round my ankles. I used to have these on for up to 8 hours a day but have stopped.

I have only just started with the back pain and sometimes it is difficult to get out of bed in the morning although this usually corrects itself after an hour

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Make sure to drink enough water, especially during the round, but also generally. Joints and disks need water to remain healthy.

Since the pain is on both sides, I don't think it does come from the golf swing itself. Maybe check if you maintain an unhealthy posture when walking on the golf course (maybe due to pushing/pulling a trolley? or are you carrying?). You can also try out different golf shoes (or better yet, check with a physician or physiotherapist of you would profit from orthopaedic arch support in your shoes).

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers.

I go to the gym 2/3 times a week. Another thing that probably has not helped is I add leg weights wrapped round my ankles. I used to have these on for up to 8 hours a day but have stopped.

I have only just started with the back pain and sometimes it is difficult to get out of bed in the morning although this usually corrects itself after an hour
Not a diagnosis but in general your discs will fill with fluid overnight and therefore any symptoms associated with prolapsed discs, or just agravations, will be at their most heightened first thing.
How you get out of bed, and the first 20 minutes, are very important.
Ideally you should stretch the sciatic nerve and associated muscles before you even sit up on the side of the bed - and equally you shouldn't be stationary sitting on the side of the bed for more than a second either! All of that is related to likely long term damage issues...and anyone who still goes to the gym at your age is likely to have long term damage to their spine!
One minute doing the right things at the right time will make a huge difference...

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Make sure to drink enough water, especially during the round, but also generally. Joints and disks need water to remain healthy.

Since the pain is on both sides, I don't think it does come from the golf swing itself. Maybe check if you maintain an unhealthy posture when walking on the golf course (maybe due to pushing/pulling a trolley? or are you carrying?). You can also try out different golf shoes (or better yet, check with a physician or physiotherapist of you would profit from orthopaedic arch support in your shoes).
Yep. I had 2 litres yesterday so not a problem. I also have an arch support but not in my golf shoes

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the biggest and most overlooked causes of lower back problems is a stiff and or sore psoas muscle. The role of the muscle is to lift the leg up and forward so you can put one foot in front of the other. The psoas starts at the top of your leg and attaches to the lumbar spine. Long walks can make them stiff and give you the feeling that your lower back is being compressed. Especially after you stop, rest and try to stand up again. Simply google psoas muscle stretch and give it a go

Last edited: