Probably one for Ethan, but other opinions welcome

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Following my iron shaft debacle, I'm starting to think my Woods\Hybrid shafts are too stiiff so I'd like to do an experiment. Before anyone says anything I'm gonna go to a fitting centre to do some testing but I'm thinking of buying a Project X Blue 5.0 shaft for my 3-Wood, purely based on the online fitting system which is spot on for my irons as I now feel I'm forcing the 3W as I was with the 5.5 iron shafts.

My question is, how does the Project X Blue 5.0 compare to the Diamana Kai'li Stiff shaft I currently have in terms of stiffness and launch?

I don't need people to tell me to go to a fitter all I want is a shaft comparison purely out of interest.

Cheers

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Would 5.0 not be regular. I have a 5.5 in a 3w in the shed that was referred to as firm. Not stiff but not regular. It had more whip than a stock stiff and less than a stock regular. Hit the same shaft in a driver pretty well too.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would 5.0 not be regular. I have a 5.5 in a 3w in the shed that was referred to as firm. Not stiff but not regular. It had more whip than a stock stiff and less than a stock regular. Hit the same shaft in a driver pretty well too.

It would but I have a 95mph SS with a deliberate tempo so what I have is apparently too stiff for me. I've always had "stiff" shafts in my woods and the stats in my fitting were no worse than with the reg so I went with my preference but after the difference I am seeing dropping 0.5 on the scale with my irons, I'm curious.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Kai'li stiff will be similar in terms to the PX blue 6.0.

Expensive experiment unless you have your own kit to change shafts and can move the old ones on fairly easy.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Stiff Kai'li comes in different weights - 60, 70 and 80 gms (actually 61, 68 and 78). Attributes vary according to weight, but their torque is less than the PX Blue - which is 60 gms, so suited to 'high lag' (wristy?) swings (slightly) better than the PX would be. Both shafts are meant to low spin. PX is designed to launch low; Kai'li mid - though there are no standards for either of those characteristics.

I liked the Kai'li (and the Blue before it) but wasn't all that keen on the (S) PX Blue. Purely my opinion of course!

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Kai'li stiff will be similar in terms to the PX blue 6.0.

Expensive experiment unless you have your own kit to change shafts and can move the old ones on fairly easy.

I would agree with this tbh.

But at the same time, the fitter would have fitted you for your swing on the day.

Were you "forcing" on the day of the fitting? Or were you swinging like you are now doing with the irons.

I know a good few who do tend to go for it with the big clubs but not with the irons.

Do you perhaps feel you have changed your tempo slightly which makes you think the current shaft is too stiff.

An idea might be to get a try with a friends shaft in regular and see what it's like or try some of the shops and see some of the 2nd hand gear. Lots of ones here will let you take them away and try before you buy on 2nd hand stuff.

You might find that you get a benefit from a different shaft or confirm the current shaft is correct.

TBH I would suggest that its all in your head and that it stems from the change you see from the 5.5 iron shafts to 5.0.

But remember that the fitter fitted you for 5.0 and you are happy, he fitted you for Kai'li stiff so you should be happy that its the best based on the 5.0 being so good for you.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funny enough, I have a Titleist 3 wood with the PX Blue 6.0 shaft in it. In terms of flex, I think it plays fairly stout actually, and I know that a lot of people who got the 910 with PX found it stiffer than expected. The Kaili is a nice mid launch shaft, and I demoed the new version, the D+ Blue in the 913 driver, and I think it plays smoother than the PX.

In terms of the comparison between wood and iron shafts in PX, the PX website says that if you suit a 5.0 PX in irons, you are between a 5.0 and 5.5 in woods, and so on. So, if you now have 5.0 in irons and that suits, then the 5.5 is probably stiff enough in the woods, but as said above, players are different from one another and you would be best to demo it and be sure.

See FAQ near bottom of screen: http://www.royalprecision.com/pxshaft/faq.asp

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would agree with this tbh.

But at the same time, the fitter would have fitted you for your swing on the day.

Were you "forcing" on the day of the fitting? Or were you swinging like you are now doing with the irons.

I know a good few who do tend to go for it with the big clubs but not with the irons.

Do you perhaps feel you have changed your tempo slightly which makes you think the current shaft is too stiff.

An idea might be to get a try with a friends shaft in regular and see what it's like or try some of the shops and see some of the 2nd hand gear. Lots of ones here will let you take them away and try before you buy on 2nd hand stuff.

You might find that you get a benefit from a different shaft or confirm the current shaft is correct.

TBH I would suggest that its all in your head and that it stems from the change you see from the 5.5 iron shafts to 5.0.

But remember that the fitter fitted you for 5.0 and you are happy, he fitted you for Kai'li stiff so you should be happy that its the best based on the 5.0 being so good for you.

All good points that I agree with and is most likely in my head. I don't think I've changed tempo but who knows, a year is a long time in golf. I'll probably just go to a local fitter and get on trackman again to confirm everything is good.

Thanks for all the replies

T

thecraw

Funny enough, I have a Titleist 3 wood with the PX Blue 6.0 shaft in it. In terms of flex, I think it plays fairly stout actually, and I know that a lot of people who got the 910 with PX found it stiffer than expected. The Kaili is a nice mid launch shaft, and I demoed the new version, the D+ Blue in the 913 driver, and I think it plays smoother than the PX.

In terms of the comparison between wood and iron shafts in PX, the PX website says that if you suit a 5.0 PX in irons, you are between a 5.0 and 5.5 in woods, and so on. So, if you now have 5.0 in irons and that suits, then the 5.5 is probably stiff enough in the woods, but as said above, players are different from one another and you would be best to demo it and be sure.

See FAQ near bottom of screen: http://www.royalprecision.com/pxshaft/faq.asp

Wouldn't be hard the PX is a harsh shaft. The Diamana plays much smoother. (well it does for me!)