Pro V1 - Worth the money?

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone play Pro V1’s over any other ball?

Currently playing Supersofts but have a big stock which I am thinking of selling some to buy some Pro V1’s

Any alternatives comparable to Pro V1’s anyone would recommend to give a go?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I could never justify playing them. I could easily lose 3 or 4 balls a round at my old course, so the cost, and my lack of talent combined to make them way too expensive.

Some of the good golfers played them though, so I guess they thought that they were worth the money to them.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Only if you’re happy with the cost of each ball you lose. I still lose a few balls every round so it’s not worth it for me to head into the premium bracket.

The likes of AD333 and Supersofts are under half the price of ProV1s, which is a crazy difference. I’m not sure the ball is that good...

There’s a big difference between the budget and mid-range balls but does that really translate again to the ProV1s and TP5s? Not sure!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only if you’re happy with the cost of each ball you lose.

This.
Yes you will get more spin and control with a ProV (or any other premium ball) but the trade off is the cost.
Unless, like me, you find more than you lose.....
Then it becomes es extremely cost effective...(y)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you don't lose many balls they are worth it as they are more durable than the cheaper balls. As for performance, how many pro's are using AD333's or similar on the tours?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I play the pro v1x and have tested all the other premium equivalents and for me it is the best ball. Tp5's dont spin enough, the chrome soft x is ok but around the greens I preferred the pro v. also after reading the my golf spy in depth report on balls, I wouldn't really be changing as the pro v1 x outperformed both of them. The only other ball I'd consider using is the Bridgestone x. The quality control of both titleist and bridgestone is enough to warrant not looking elsewhere

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Love Pro V1s, but would never ever buy them. Fortunately I have PPs who give them to me when they find them. So I have a fair old stock. Been hearing a fair bit about super soft sand have a nigh on brand new one in the bag so will give that a bash next round.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
If I were a Cat 1 player I would really study the ball's performance relative to my game. Then I would stick with the chosen premium ball.
But I am a 17 handicap, so I use Velocity or Srixon soft feel by preference, but wouldn't feel too disadvantaged using any other mid range ball .

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Pro v is my ball of choice during the summer. In the winter months I know someone who will sell me pick up Pro 1's £10 for 40 balls. I do occasionally play TP5's and other good makes but really dislike the feel off the face of supersoft balls

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes if you buy them at the right price which is sub £30 a dozen for me

Other similar balls are virtually any 3 or more piece urethane or similar cover
such as
Bridgestone Tour Series
Callaway Chromesoft
TaylorMade TP5
Vice Pro
Dunlop DP1 V3 ( probably the cheapest of the 3 piece urethane balls if you can still find them)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
In the winter Velocity or softer Srixons, summer time for me it has to be the softest ProV to get them to stop as quickly as possible.I tried Z-Stars and the TM multipiece balls but just didnt feel I got the best control out of them.

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I buy Pearl grade pro v balls from premier lake balls and they’re as good as new. I’ve used several brands and settled on pro v for summer and tp5 for winter As I get more roll. However that only because I had a load of TP5s given to me. I’ll probably go AD333 in the winter, again lake balls, but they do scuff more.

This summer I’m going to give pro v 1x a go.

The below is a really informative article and the bottom table stopped me trying vice balls.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/feat...er/robot-tested-which-golf-bal-suits-my-game/