Pro-rate, or not

Mandofred

Visit site
Tried to re-join my last club last week. Even though almost 1/3 of the year has gone by they still wanted full price membership. This is a club that is fairly unplayable for most of the winter. The first club I joined back in 2015 I joined in August....they adjusted the rate based on how much of the year I'd missed. The second club I'd joined did the same. Am I expecting too much to think they should discount my joining attempt considering how much of the "playing season" I've missed?

Mandofred

Visit site
Why did you leave in the first place

And if have 2/3 of the year left then yes you should pay full membership
A few people left the first course because of questionable decisions being made. Why is that an issue? The second course is just unplayable during the winter....went to a course that is open during the winter.

Fair enough you think everybody who joins months into the year should pay full price.....I don't get it, but fair enough.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd expect some level of reduction at this point, even if not full pro rata. I can understand clubs discouraging people jumping in for part of a season, they don't want that to be a regular thing, but full at this point sounds a little much, particularly as you were previously a member there.

Some of my past clubs definitely did pro rata, plus a little bit, but I don't know about all.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
A few people left the first course because of questionable decisions being made. Why is that an issue?

Fair enough you think everybody who joins months into the year should pay full price.....I don't get it, but fair enough.

That’s what we do if you have over 6 months until renewal

Stops people jumping around and then in when the season comes around

Mandofred

Visit site
That’s what we do if you have over 6 months until renewal

Stops people jumping around and then in when the season comes around
Yeah, I can kind of understand that one. Although.....if you are producing a product that people want, they wouldn't be jumping around....yes?

Granted.....I'm one of those people who just don't like settling. Just getting ready to move to a new house.....I just don't like staying in one place forever. If my wife would let me I'd move to the coast.....the boss says NO. I've lived in multiple countries.....several areas just in the UK. I LIKE moving.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Yeah, I can kind of understand that one. Although.....if you are producing a product that people want, they wouldn't be jumping around....yes?

Granted.....I'm one of those people who just don't like settling. Just getting ready to move to a new house.....I just don't like staying in one place forever. If my wife would let me I'd move to the coast.....the boss says NO. I've lived in multiple countries.....several areas just in the UK. I LIKE moving.
When I got to the bit about the wife, I thought we were about to get a tale about a new wife.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
One club I'm in has full year & half year, self explanatory I guess but joining anytime in the first 6 months is full price, after that its reduced by 50% for that year

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think there is really a right or wrong or a fair or unfair. Pricing systems operate in lots of different ways and it's really up to you whether or not you want to take it at that price or look elsewhere or wait till you can get a full year or pay occasional green fees.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To me it would depend on what start of the year is.
We have an April start so would not expect pro rata to kick in until the end of summer.
I do not know if we offer it.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think there is a difference between a new member joining part way through the year and a former member re-joining.

I imagine the club (rightfully imo) are guarding against people wanting full member benefits/access to the course during the summer months at effectively a reduced membership rate.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is a generalisation and not relating specifically to you but would the Club want somebody back? There may be reasons as to why the individual left initially, clash of personality, argumentative etc.

How much do the Club need knew members? Seem to recall you were @Ripon and one of The Harrogate clubs although may be mistaken.

On the basis you are already known to them I would say a pro rate figure is appropriate but if the annual subs were £1000 more than £500 if you join on the 1st July.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My course charges pro rata for people joining, I think that is fair.

My course is monthly DD , no matter when you join your membership runs until 30th June of that year and then renews for a year if you don't cancel it

£550 joining fee now tho so if you leave 30th June and come back say October you have to pay that

Mandofred

Visit site

This is a generalisation and not relating specifically to you but would the Club want somebody back? There may be reasons as to why the individual left initially, clash of personality, argumentative etc.

How much do the Club need knew members? Seem to recall you were @Ripon and one of The Harrogate clubs although may be mistaken.

On the basis you are already known to them I would say a pro rate figure is appropriate but if the annual subs were £1000 more than £500 if you join on the 1st July.
I don't think the club is desperate for people. I checked with the guys I used to play with before I went in to talk to the mgr....one of the guys is the father of the mgr. So I knew there were some places left. I think the mgr said something about it just being a rule of the club not to pro-rata.....I "think" he said that there was a minor discount at the beginning of August, something like £100 off. He said he'd give me a call at that time. Fair enough....if those are the club rules it doesn't bother me. Of the 3 clubs I've been a member at, 2 did a discount based on time....this one doesn't until a good chunk of time passes. That's ok. If they knock off £100 in a week I'll likely join. Currently full price is £850 plus £5 a round.

Of the 3 clubs, each has their strong and weak points. I left Oakdale because it is hard to play on it all winter. Ripon is probably the best at dealing with water in the area, but the drive is getting to me again. I am hoping to go back playing twice a week at Ripon in their rollups and twice a week at Oakdale with a small group. I was also at Knaresborough....I left after about 7 years for several reasons which I won't go into but another guy I was playing with there is now at Ripon as well. Sure miss the practice field there though..... Ripon basically has no area to practice in, although a driving range very near. I think I am also just one of those people who likes to move every once in a while. Currently about to purchase a house just down the road about 200yds.....Looking forward to the change since I've been in the current house 9 years.

The rules are different at every club. The rules for rollups at each club are different as well.....

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I'm dead set against pro-rate simply because while the weather may dictate that golf cannot be played during the winter months, economics dictate that the club itself is a year round entity, and the danger is a lot of people would use it to circumvent the wet and muddy bits.

Last year, a lot of people cancelled their direct debits during the rainy season. They can't this year as they are now in a contract.

The lad I'm playing with tomorrow loves the idea of an April to November membership. What a grand idea, me and folk like me will stump up the extra to keep the place going until you return.

Notwithstanding any of that, earlier this year the club offered £500 for 21 months. This was a bit misleading as it was actually £500 for the remainder of this year and sign a contract for next year. It still represents a cracking deal as our year didn't start until the 1st of march.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm dead set against pro-rate simply because while the weather may dictate that golf cannot be played during the winter months, economics dictate that the club itself is a year round entity, and the danger is a lot of people would use it to circumvent the wet and muddy bits.

Last year, a lot of people cancelled their direct debits during the rainy season. They can't this year as they are now in a contract.

The lad I'm playing with tomorrow loves the idea of an April to November membership. What a grand idea, me and folk like me will stump up the extra to keep the place going until you return.

Notwithstanding any of that, earlier this year the club offered £500 for 21 months. This was a bit misleading as it was actually £500 for the remainder of this year and sign a contract for next year. It still represents a cracking deal as our year didn't start until the 1st of march.
Fair enough. But...if somebody moves new to that area and wants to join a club 6 months into the year....they either have to come up with the whole chunk for only half of the year, or just wait another 6 months to join?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Fair enough. But...if somebody moves new to that area and wants to join a club 6 months into the year....they either have to come up with the whole chunk for only half of the year, or just wait another 6 months to join?
They can join for £500, they just need to commit to a second year.