Pride vs Custom Fitting

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing like an hour hitting balls on trackman to bring a bit of reality into the perception of your golf!

I went to the Titleist fitting centre at Craigielaw today for an irons custom fitting. It was an enjoyable and interesting session but must admit to mixed feelings about the results!

After a brief chat about my game and what I hoped to gain from new irons we started by seeing how my current irons perform. I was relieved that I managed to bring a decent swing with me and was quickly hitting it relatively well but disappointed to see that my 7i carry isn’t quite what I thought. Total yardage is more like the distance I had in mind, a common reality check for many, I expect.

The next eye-opener was that I carried my 4i less than 20 yards further than the 7i, again the run out getting to the distance I expected but clearly highlighting a gapping problem through the longer irons. We discussed that rather than chasing extra distance I would benefit from better gapping at the top of the bag combined with higher trajectory, steeper descent and, therefore, less run out before moving on to hitting some of the Titleist 718 irons.

I hit AP1, AP2 and AP3 7 irons all with graphite shafts comparable to those in my own clubs. In common with most, I imagine, I really like the look of the AP2s and don’t fancy the AP1s much but it was immediately apparent that the AP2 wasn’t going to give me much over my current clubs; its stats were very similar.

Both AP1 and AP3 gave me greater carry distance and less run out. Short of phenomenal performance, I had already ruled the AP1s out simply for their chunkier look. The AP3s really do look good at address and definitely answer the “I like the look of the AP2 but want AP1 distance” problem.

Although I’ve had graphite for the last few years, I’m interested in switching back to steel shafts so we tried the AP3 with a AMT Red R300 shaft and it only took one swing to show that was a good move. I got more swing speed and started carrying it about ten yards past my current 7i but with a higher apex and less run out. Very encouraging at this stage!

The disappointment set in a bit when I tried the AP3 5i. We wanted 20 yards carry past the 7i but it came short – only about 15 yards – and the lower trajectory meant too much run out. The next step was to try the AP1 5 iron with the same shaft. I don’t mind the chunkier look in the longer iron as much so it was worth a go and, indeed, I did carry it 20 yards past the AP3 7i.

While an improvement on the AP3, this still has the problem of a shallower descent and longer run out. I was happy, but the fitter was not. He wanted me to hit that yardage but with a higher ball flight and recommended using a hybrid instead of 5i and made one up for me to try. I promptly hit it 10 yards further so he knocked up another with more loft and I did hit some lovely high flighted shots carrying right on the desired number.

Ultimately, the recommendation I came away with is AP3 PW to 6i, 23* Hybrid and 24* Hybrid (with a slightly shorter shaft) to give good 10 yard gaps right up to where my 5 wood comes in.

My problem is that I can’t quite wrap my head around not having a 5i so I do have the option of going with the AP1 5i instead of the hybrid. That suits my vanity a bit better but probably isn’t making the most of the possibilities. Certainly the fitter was unequivocal in his view the hybrid was the way to go.

Great fun and very interesting hitting shots on trackman with different clubs, different shafts. I could do that all day so my hour passed in the blink of an eye! I’m left with plenty of food for thought. There are definite improvements to be made, especially at the top end. I wasn’t 100% sure about changing my irons but now I’m fairly certain that I will. But can I really bring myself to finish the irons at a 6? Head thinks I should swallow my pride but heart says I can make that 5i work!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I expect someone will be along to remind that the club now called a 6 iron is really a 5 iron - would that help :)

The fitter is probably correct though....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've dropped my 5 iron from the bag.
I'm using a 26° hybrid - does a better job more often.
Far harder to mess up with it.
Go with what works.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I can relate to this. I carry 4 iron to pitching wedge but don't seem to hit my 4 iron much further than the 5 because I can't get the clubhead speed to get the 4 iron airborne properly. At some stage I'm going to need to ditch the 4 iron for a hybrid. The problem is that I find that a hybrid goes a lot further with the wind & not far enough against because I tend to hit hybrids quite high. However, with a maximum of 14 clubs you have to compromise.

Hope you find a workable solution.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I expect someone will be along to remind that the club now called a 6 iron is really a 5 iron - would that help :)

The fitter is probably correct though....

With my new AP1's tge fitter said dont go longer than the 5 iron as it goes as far as my old 4.

Great story Karen

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can relate to this. I carry 4 iron to pitching wedge but don't seem to hit my 4 iron much further than the 5 because I can't get the clubhead speed to get the 4 iron airborne properly. At some stage I'm going to need to ditch the 4 iron for a hybrid. The problem is that I find that a hybrid goes a lot further with the wind & not far enough against because I tend to hit hybrids quite high. However, with a maximum of 14 clubs you have to compromise.

Hope you find a workable solution.

That's pretty much my concern with the hybrids and why my own 4i made a comeback this year. I knew, though, that it was unlikely I'd get a 4i in the new set but am having all sorts of anguish about the prospect of dropping the 5i as well. Plus will I really commit properly to hitting a hybrid from closer in? Don't know. Suspect I might end up with both and swapping them in and out depending on course and conditions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Garryinderry did a good post about this situation, the result being forget your vanity and get the hybrid. Why fight it? Pro's have them, use the tech.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Great write up, and i fully get the issues with going to hybrids. I am presently playing a 5 hybrid through the winter, and I hate it. Playing Driver, 5w, 5h, and 6i down due to the conditions. Once the sun shines, i am getting my 3i back out. I shouldnt, as the numbers dont work, but on the odd occasion i catch it, i love it.

Sometimes its not about the numbers.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
At your level Karen I'd say (and I know it's easier as an armchair observer) that you need to be getting the most out of every club, 1 shot a round difference (hit a long par 3 green rather than miss it) is huge off your handicap.....

I've had a few :)whistle:) sets of clubs over the years. Played with blades in the main over the last couple. Went for a full fitting recently and went in with the mindset of leaving my ego at the door as the guy I was using is very well respected so pretty much turned myself over to him.

I hit irons from full on blades (jeez the new TM P730 are tiny :eek:oo: up to what are probably considered GI irons (AP3, JPX 950 forged, Srixon 565) and everything in between.

If I was buying from looks/vanity I would have ended up (probably) with the new MP18 SC irons. Instead I've ended up with P790 irons which are maybe a little bigger than I've used previously but I'm already seeing a difference, mainly through confidence, correct length/lie/loft etc as only so much clubs can do but I'm glad I did it that way and won't be changing for a long, long time. Putters on the other hand ;)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sometimes its not about the numbers.

For the 99% of us on here that are choppers I agree with this 100%

When you're playing County golf, Scottish ladies etc I think, through necessity if you want to continue at that level, you have to look at things a little more pragmatically.

In my view only of course.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
For the 99% of us on here that are choppers I agree with this 100%

When you're playing County golf, Scottish ladies etc I think, through necessity if you want to continue at that level, you have to look at things a little more pragmatically.

In my view only of course.

You're absolutely right!

And that's why I'm glad I'm crap at golf, because I don't have to worry about the numbers and have gone from looking for the best performing clubs to playing with the clubs that appeal most to my eye and give me the most pleasure from hitting.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Great read Karen, and very much highlights what I’ve experienced in recent years. 7 iron is now out there at 130 but the 4 iron is only 40 yards further at 170. But the #4 hybrid, which is easier to hit is comfortable at 180.

However, the new Titliest t-mb 3 iron is only 30 yds behind my driver at 200yds, the t-mb 4 iron, eBay win, coming in at about 185-190. Oh how I’d love a full set of them.

Spoke to #1 son and he says in the vast majority of cases it’s about launch angle. Most amateurs are hooked on a low ball flight with run when a higher ball flight will give the same distance but with more forgiveness.

I’ve got my fitting over 2x1hour sessions starting on the 19th. I’m hoping for AP3’s, or a lottery win and t-mb’s.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That was an interesting read indeed. I recently was fitted for 4-pw callaways but decided to drop the 4i as we have 5 par 5s which I believe I can get there in 2 on at least 3 of them, possibly 4, but not with a 4i so swapped it out for a 4hb.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing like an hour hitting balls on trackman to bring a bit of reality into the perception of your golf!

I was relieved that I managed to bring a decent swing with me and was quickly hitting it relatively well but disappointed to see that my 7i carry isn’t quite what I thought. Total yardage is more like the distance I had in mind, a common reality check for many, I expect.

The next eye-opener was that I carried my 4i less than 20 yards further than the 7i, again the run out getting to the distance I expected but clearly highlighting a gapping problem through the longer irons. We discussed that rather than chasing extra distance I would benefit from better gapping at the top of the bag combined with higher trajectory, steeper descent and, therefore, less run out

But can I really bring myself to finish the irons at a 6? Head thinks I should swallow my pride but heart says I can make that 5i work!

definitely not alone in your findings I find a whole bunch of folks I have worked with am working with on trackman are virtually nearly always surprised to see that their idea of how far they carry the ball is a good bit over estimated

& the issue with a lack of gaps at the top end with longer irons is around not generating ball speed - so the trajectory of these clubs is a 'rainbow one' (as opposed to a flight with more ball speed when peak height occurs later so the carry is further along with a steeper descent angle) with peak height occurring nearer the 'middle' of the ball flight so the lower descent angle & some run out when ground conditions support that - in real wet conditions though it won't be consistent roll distances as some will more tend to plug n'stop but some with the lower descent will 'skid' off of the wet ground so distance control becomes another issue

the objective best answer to get the best out of the bag & also have better chance of improving score through both better gap control along with individual club distance control (so distance to pin stats)- a real key to improvement - is to go with the fitter recommendation of ending at 6i & filling the top end with hybrid/s

key to remember is all clubs really are - are 'tools' to get a job done - don't invest any 'emotional feeling' to long irons really is no point to that at all - you ever get chance to see the field of many champion or pga tour bags you'll see they are just loaded with the best 'tools' to get that distance control through the bag

once get used to a hybrid if you experiment in practice it gets a bunch easier to produce a lower flying ball just by moving the ball - half a ball back & also getting more weight pressure on the lead leg in transition
just about practicing those different skills

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Garryinderry did a good post about this situation, the result being forget your vanity and get the hybrid. Why fight it? Pro's have them, use the tech.

High lofted hybrids are the bees knees. I still have 6 iron as my longest iron. the 5 did appear back in the bag recently since I've finally worked out how to stop hitting fats. It was only a brief spell, a round or two and one of them at links.

Gun to my head tomorrow and I have to shoot a good score I will have the 4 and 5 hybrid in.

It really is a no brainer for many players if the speed isn't there when you start getting down to 3 4 and 5 irons.

Ive learnt to hit hybrids high and low so that versatility is still there.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve worked on low (stinger-like) shots with 4 and 5 irons. Very useful when you get too close to overhanging branches... as I often seem to do!

Always struggled with that shot with hybrids, probably for the same reasons they come into their own normally, but it is a more unusual shot and probably a bit more perseverance will help.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Excellent thread - I have always struggled with my 5 iron and strangely enough, never thought about replacing it with a hybrid equivalent. Gonna have to look and try a 26 deg hybrid and see if I can hit that any better and see what the distance difference is compared to my 6 iron which I hit fairly well.

Thanks for the enlightenment, even if it is probably a common sense solution - just never thought about it!