Pride vs Custom Fitting

D

Deleted member 15344

Simple answer for me - swallow the pride and go with the numbers , even more so when you are at a level when numbers are crucial

I have done it twice - removed the 3 wood and put in a HL one because the numbers were better and the same with a 3 and 4 Iron - swapped them for a Hybrid and a Hi Fli - I have no problem using whatever is required to get the results

I don’t at times understand why people would sacrifice performance for asthetics unless you are not really bothered about the score and just want to enjoy the game - yep every now and then you may flush a perfect 3/4/5 Iron but the shots inbetween could be the difference between a HC reduction or a Comp win etc

Even more so at your level Kaz - Ye Yang is the perfect example of numbers over pride and there are lots of ladies at the top of their game who use hybrids until 6/7 Iron

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simple answer for me......buy both.

5i for when you're on the links when you need the lower flight and run. Hybrid for parkland when you need the high trajectory and stop.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

5i for when you're on the links when you need the lower flight and run. Hybrid for parkland when you need the high trajectory and stop.

I think this is probably going to be the way I go, just because I don’t like the thought of not having the option of a 5i. To be honest, stopping distances are probably even more important on firm links greens but I quite like the idea of having a lower trajectory option in the wind.... at least until I master low hybrid shots!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simple answer for me - swallow the pride and go with the numbers , even more so when you are at a level when numbers are crucial

I have done it twice - removed the 3 wood and put in a HL one because the numbers were better and the same with a 3 and 4 Iron - swapped them for a Hybrid and a Hi Fli - I have no problem using whatever is required to get the results

I don’t at times understand why people would sacrifice performance for asthetics unless you are not really bothered about the score and just want to enjoy the game - yep every now and then you may flush a perfect 3/4/5 Iron but the shots inbetween could be the difference between a HC reduction or a Comp win etc

Even more so at your level Kaz - Ye Yang is the perfect example of numbers over pride and there are lots of ladies at the top of their game who use hybrids until 6/7 Iron

Not asthetics as much as plain vanity, Phil. I hate hitting a hybrid when a PP is using an iron! :)

You’re right, though. Think I’ll google what’s in the bag for lpga players to see if that makes me feel better about it.

And, of course, I’m a middle aged woman so my swing speed is only likely to go in one direction during the lifetime of these clubs. :(

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm another who dropped the 5 iron out of the bag in favour of an additional rescue simply because I was not controlling direction with the 5 iron as well as I am with the rescue. I do miss some of the drop and stop I got with a 5 iron though.

Just switched the 24 for a 25 with more grooves on the face to see if it helps.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve worked on low (stinger-like) shots with 4 and 5 irons. Very useful when you get too close to overhanging branches... as I often seem to do!

Always struggled with that shot with hybrids, probably for the same reasons they come into their own normally, but it is a more unusual shot and probably a bit more perseverance will help.

I was just about to post similar - that's the shot that I would go to my 5 iron for which I'm not sure I could play with any other club. I definitely couldn't play it with a hybrid as the hot face launches the ball way to quickly.

I think you were right in what you said earlier - switch between the 5i and 5h on a round by round basis depending on the conditions and the course you're playing. Overall, I think the hybrid must be the better option for almost every golfer out there. I am toying with the idea of switching to a 5 hybrid as I lack confidence with my 5i off all but a perfect lie and often end up hitting a safe 6 or clubbing down on my 4h.

If you can get to grips with playing a low shot with a 6 iron, or somehow making the hybrid work, I think it's a no brainer to turn to the 5h given the results it's given you on trackman.

Is there some way you could test this combo out on the course? I think that would give you a better feel for the difference it will make to you, both in terms of making some things easier and other things harder.

EDIT: Feeling inspired, I have just spent £45 on a Cleveland Mashie 26 degree hybrid on golf bidder!

Last edited:

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
In an alternative thread I explained I have also been fit for AP3 have slow swing speed 7i 146 yards 716 AP1 however I have PW ~ 5i in KBS Tour which I have recently learned are too heavy a shaft for me now.

When I then bought from Ebay a 716 AP1 4i with a stock regular graphite shaft and had the loft weakened 1 degree, which I use for under trees and on local links courses, I am not such a good a golfer as yourself so the 4i stays in my bag because it gets me out of trouble better than my hybrid does.

This is because at my level I tend to find, whist the hybrid is easier to hit, at my level if I miss hit a hybrid the misses are bigger than when I use an iron, therefore I tend to have Driver, 4W, 23 degree Hybrid and 4i ~ PW AP1 and 3 wedges.

When I was fit I was recommended the AMT Red R300, but I would like to try them in a 9i or PW and 5i because I am not convinced on the progressive weight shaft idea over the XP95 which is same weight in all shafts, did you try a PW or 9i in the AMT Red?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not asthetics as much as plain vanity, Phil. I hate hitting a hybrid when a PP is using an iron! :)

You’re right, though. Think I’ll google what’s in the bag for lpga players to see if that makes me feel better about it.

And, of course, I’m a middle aged woman so my swing speed is only likely to go in one direction during the lifetime of these clubs. :(

Im not sure that you're that old and decrepit that you'll lose distance yet, over the past 20 years since I've started playing I haven't seen any distance drop off, in fact, with technological advances the irons go further than I've ever hit.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
i presume this was done outside on a range Karen?

do you know if could weather effects the track-man and the ball etc?

It was Patrick, which I liked because it lets you see the ball flight as well as getting the stats.

Weather does affect that though so they can set the track man to normalise its results. In this case he set it to 17 degrees and no wind (there wasn’t much wind anyway). How effective that is and how accurate, I don’t know!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It was Patrick, which I liked because it lets you see the ball flight as well as getting the stats.

Weather does affect that though so they can set the track man to normalise its results. In this case he set it to 17 degrees and no wind (there wasn’t much wind anyway). How effective that is and how accurate, I don’t know!

for me seeing the flight is important, but also doing this in winter esp in Scotland must have its drawbacks. You are cold the balls are cold and don't fly though the air as well due to temperature. so I imagine you would see a drop in your normal distance compared to summer??

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
for me seeing the flight is important, but also doing this in winter esp in Scotland must have its drawbacks. You are cold the balls are cold and don't fly though the air as well due to temperature. so I imagine you would see a drop in your normal distance compared to summer??

I think that’s true. Also I’m not playing as much as in the summer, probably not as flexible.

Problem is last time I changed clubs I did it mid season but it took me several weeks to start hitting the new ones properly so want to time it to have the pre season to adjust.

I do worry about some of the stats - especially what it said for my own 4i. I know I can hit it better than that because I’ve hit the shots. The key is to look at the relative differences I think rather than taking the actual yardages as gospel at this stage...

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great write up, very interesting stuff. Made me think about visiting a local pro here who has trackman just to see what the carry/roll out distances really are. I know what you mean about the hybrid from 5 and I think I'd feel the same. Did you try the MBs? Thanks again for sharing, food for thought...

DCB

Visit site
My wife changed her irons 2 years ago and was a little disappointed that she couldn't get 4&5irons like she had in her old set. They were replaced by hybrids which seems to be the norm in ladies sets. Given a bit of time to get used to them, she finds then so much easier to use than the old irons. She's off 14, so, not quite at your level Karen, but, same conundrum at time of new irons. 2 years on and the hybrids are still in the bag and have made a difference to her game. You must have see whats in the bag of others at MCLGA events, hybrids are far more common nowadays. Forget the vanity, get something that makes the game easier :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forget the vanity, get something that makes the game easier :)

I remember watching the senor masters and they interviewed monty .. he had hybrids in his bag and his words were "everyone should use these.. why make the game harder than it already is?"

that's from somebody who was an European tour winner...

D

Deleted member 1147

This is what I'd go for.

But price can certainly be an issue, perhaps go for the 5i for now and then if any spare cash becomes available add the hybrid then.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think that’s true. Also I’m not playing as much as in the summer, probably not as flexible.

Problem is last time I changed clubs I did it mid season but it took me several weeks to start hitting the new ones properly so want to time it to have the pre season to adjust.

I do worry about some of the stats - especially what it said for my own 4i. I know I can hit it better than that because I’ve hit the shots. The key is to look at the relative differences I think rather than taking the actual yardages as gospel at this stage...

i suppose it would depend on how much of a change it was from your last lot on the bed in time.

my last change was from GI irons back to blades with a completely different shaft weight and flight. i got them at the end of the season then too the winter to bed in.

i might try Scott Gourlay at some point in the future