Practice

evemccc

Visit site
I’m curious as to where people practice, and why

A secondary Q is how relevant is a range?

EDIT: A third Q is are ranges independent of golf courses primarily used by non-members of clubs? My idea from seeing / talking to people on ranges and work colleagues conversations, is that that are

I’ve realised that I don’t actually ‘practice’ I just play golf - sometimes I’ll drop two or three balls around a green whilst playing solo or a casual (not putting a card in) game

Lately though I have started to hit balls into the net at my club - I accept a range would be better but the drive to range, the time to drive, and the cost of balls, isn’t worth it to see ball flight, as I’m trying to focus on certain things in my swing for which watching the ball flight isn’t essential I don’t think

Embedding correct ‘feels’ and movements in the swing can be worked on without ball

And the corollary of this, are independent driving ranges mostly used by non-members of clubs? Members can use their clubs facilities, or short game area, before a round. Unless bad weather whereby the covered range would be good of course

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How do you know the moves and feels are totally correct if you don't know the outcome - ie where the ball goes? feel and Real can be very different

evemccc

Visit site
How do you know the moves and feels are totally correct if you don't know the outcome - ie where the ball goes? feel and Real can be very different

True, but what I’m currently working on - based on several lessons with my pro, is correct weight transfer, losing chicken wing, improving finishing posture which I don’t need to hit balls for, and AA which I can’t tell from ball flight but I can from a Trackman or hearing if it’s flushed - so my clubs net is fine

I’m saying for what I’m currently working on

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really. I never used to go to the driving range until recently, as I find it boring, and not particularly useful as hitting off at mat with not much to aim at and no consequences feel totally different to a golf course anyway. Now I go because my wife started playing so we go for her to practise hitting - if we get 100 balls I probably hit about 40 and she does 60. Annoyingly there aren't any driving ranges that near to us, whichever way we go it's 30 minute drive (well, there is one nearer but it often seems to be closed at random times which is annoying). And the only putting practise I do is around two minutes worth, prior to teeing off on a Saturday.

In the summer I will go down to the course on a weekday after work and play 9 holes, if I fluff a shot or get a yardage wrong on a pitch just drop another ball and try and get it right second (or third) time. That's my idea of practise really. And with my wife taking up the game it's been handy actually, as we'll sometimes play a short 9 hole course on the Sunday where it's good practise for her, and I get some extra practise with short game which I do think has improved my game in the last 6 months.

But yeah, in summary I've never been one to hit loads of balls at the driving range. Limited usefulness and dull as ditchwater.

Boomy

Visit site
Weekday practice at the range - full shots and swing work using camera etc.

Weekend practice - short game at the club on the practice area. Which includes putting practice.

I don’t believe you can work on strike without striking a ball and seeing the outcome. Yes, you can work on positional stuff without hitting a ball but ultimately it has to correspond with the strike. I can nail all the positions on practice drills… different matter when there is a ball in the way and it has to go somewhere specific.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't really practice, just turn up and play. That isn't a boast, it isn't clever, just reality. If my game falls off a cliff I will go to the range to try some things out but that means I only go a couple of times a year.

I will try certain things out on the course if I want to work on a particular shot. For example, 9 holes on my own, just take 3 wood off the tee, hit 7 iron even when it should be a longer club etc. As long as I am not holding anyone else up I find that better than being on a range, it is more real.

I should practice my short game, chipping and putting, as that is where my scores come down if they are on song. Whether that happens this year...........or i just rock up and play for another year :LOL:

evemccc

Visit site
Weekday practice at the range - full shots and swing work using camera etc.

Weekend practice - short game at the club on the practice area. Which includes putting practice.

I don’t believe you can work on strike without striking a ball and seeing the outcome. Yes, you can work on positional stuff without hitting a ball but ultimately it has to correspond with the strike. I can nail all the positions on practice drills… different matter when there is a ball in the way and it has to go somewhere specific.

I would prefer to go to a (convenient) range, or better still have a range at my club(?) but I feel using a tripod/camera, training aids etc and work on positional movements and AA can be done in my club’s nets > the effort, time of driving, cost of balls etc to go to a range

I’d lose about an hour if traffic is bad on a weekend just getting to a range and back - it’s not convenient nor a pleasant drive dodging potholes and dealing with lots of traffic, so I’d rather use that hour playing golf / using the net at my club, sat on the sofa at home or in the pub!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I like to practice a couple of times a week
Use the club facilities since it has a long range with greens etc, all off grass, decent enough balls, good short game & practice bunkers and a couple of putting greens

Would much rather 2 hours of that practice over playing 9 holes

Boomy

Visit site
I would prefer to go to a (convenient) range, or better still have a range at my club(?) but I feel using a tripod/camera, training aids etc and work on positional movements and AA can be done in my club’s nets > the effort, time of driving, cost of balls etc to go to a range

I’d lose about an hour if traffic is bad on a weekend just getting to a range and back - it’s not convenient nor a pleasant drive dodging potholes and dealing with lots of traffic, so I’d rather use that hour playing golf / using the net at my club, sat on the sofa at home or in the pub!

I’m not sure sitting at home on the sofa or in the pub will help your golf swing/game much ?

Using the net at your club with your tripod etc is better than nothing and at least you’re still striking a ball. I’d rather be out playing than practising at the range… but I know it’s that practice I need to get to my goal(s)

phillarrow

Visit site
I love practising. In fact, one of the main drivers for finally joining a club (instead of only playing society golf) was the ability to practice regularly on grass, on the putting green, and playing a few casual holes. I'm rarely going to play many comps at the club, I just want to grab an hour or so here and there.

I've been a range hound for years prior to this, and I do love the top tracer stuff and playing virtual golf, but I just feel that mats are too forgiving and playing on grass gives a truer reflection of your ball striking.

Ranges are still good for winter evenings though, when it's too dark to practice/play at a club. They definitely serve a purpose and I'd choose the range over a net personally. (y)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good to see the usual posters who are obviously better than pro golfers :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Professionals practice so they get better, why shouldn't we?

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Range at my club is used by members and non-members. Nothing fancy about it but its cheap. Id go here on a summers evening when you can see full ball flight but that's about it.

The range down the road from my club (5 mins) has top tracer and floodlights so has been great this winter - mostly filled with golf club members for sure! Not often someone walks in without a very decent set of clubs and a half decent swing to go with them. I think the higher price puts off the non-golfers. Floodlights and TT mean you can see flight path and some additional information.

Flight path and distances are what I go to the range for. Training myself into a better, more consistent golfer. I can only do that with numbers and visuals, not by feel alone.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't practice much now, used togo to practice things regularly, but now where I am with my game I know what's wrong much of the time.
If I had the choice it would always be a range, I need to see the ball flight. Lucky in that I have access to 3 ranges.
My home club Nairn has a practice ground with 2 short game areas and a range with free balls, I'm a member at a club in Inverness too and that has a range now, but you use your own balls, which is the place I've used of late when I have practiced and there is a toptracer rang up at Fairways but its pretty expensive and the balls are shocking.

Not a fan of nets, got one at the start of lockdown and all I did was ingrain a fault I would have spotted on a range.

G1z1

Visit site
I always hated going to the range not sure why just didn’t like it much, after playing for a year I realised playing golf everyday was not practice and to get better I needed to practice more.
So I Put a golf sim in the house and after just a few months have noticed a huge improvement in my short game and it’s made my scores come down a lot.
I still have really inconsistent games but I’m definitely improving the more time I put into practice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I only go to the range if I'm bored and can't get out on the course
I play at least 9 holes 5 or 6 days a week..I do my practice on the course.
On the range you have a flat lie, you have parallel lines of the mat to help you line up and the outcome of the shot doesn't matter.
On the course, especially mine, there is barely a flat lie anywhere.
I can't practice the shots I need at a range.
Give me a choice of 1 1/2 hours at the range or 9 holes on the course and ill race you to the first tee..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to use the range in the winter to try and keep the swing ticking over once a week, maybe twice if I've had a lesson so I can get the changes bedded in. Once we get to March I'll be at the club most evenings until the clocks go back and I'll work on all facets of my game but usually spend 2 sessions a week on putting and one on pitching and one on chipping/bunkers. I'll try and play a few holes after the practice session and on the other day so I am taking it to the course in a real time situation.

The Practice Manual by Adam Young is a decent read. I also take notes/film my swing especially the long game but now the short game too and when working on putting and chipping I'll set challenges and record scores so I can see if I can beat it next time and give it an element of a competition

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago when I was fit enough to practice regularly I used to hit about 200 balls a day in short game practice and about 40 in long game practice.
We used to have a practice ground and when it became a driving range it coincided some what with my decision to cut back massively on the amount I practiced.

These days my 'practice' is limited to just 20-40 balls on the short game area or 2 balls and just 2 clubs on the 9 hole course.

Our range gets a fair mix of members and visitors with a large increase in the latter since we put Toptracer on every bay.