practice swings on chip shots

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
decided today i wouldnt take a chip shot without taking 3 practice swings that would mimic the shot i wanted. it took and bit of patience and disipline but the results were fantastic.

i would usually swing and try and find the feel i want, but the difference was repeating that feel 3 times when i found it. sometimes it took longer than others but as i say it seemed to work.

does anyone else use this method or on the flip side does anyone not take any practice swings at all on short chips?

some might think this would slow down the game but it wont if you get up to you ball and get on with the process as soon as you have selected the club!

what started me thinking of this is keegan bradley not hitting the shot until he feels complely ready and padraig taking up to 10 swings to find the feel at times! must be something in it!

thoughts ? :p

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For chips and pitch shots I usually pick my landing point, take a few quick "feel" shots and then play it. I have practised enough to know what I want so I put that practice into action.

It works for me, may not be perfect all the time but it feels right.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I concentrate on making solid contact first and foremost so I like to see a little wear on the turf in front of the ball. Nothing worse in my eyes than taking time to practice, then duff the chip :mad:

Then set up and play what I practice a' la' ScienceBoy

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For chips and pitch shots I usually pick my landing point, take a few quick "feel" shots and then play it. I have practised enough to know what I want so I put that practice into action.

this is my usual method ^ my only difference was waiting until i found the right feel, then repeating that 3 times.

just went out with the mindset of trying it and it seemed to do the trick. i will be trying it again. hopefuly it can become second nature. my short game is the best part of my game. if this moves it on then happy days :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've played my chip shots better since taking as many rehearsal swings as I need... it might be 5 it might be 10, generally the more I take the better the chip... I do try and get them out the way asap though, don't want to stand there keeping people waiting so as soon as I get to my ball the weapon of choice is in my hand. I think your h/cap warrants taking your ALLOTED shot time. Off 28, just hit it!!! :D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its the shot that usualy dictates how you score at a hole. its worth doing. sounds like you've already got this working. i can see me doing this again. noticed a difference when i was doing some chipping at home. the more i prepared the shot, the better it was.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I take as many as I need dependant on the lie until I feel its right and then commit to the shot. Taking those extra feel/practice swings could make the game quicker as hopefully you won't flop it or thin it and will finish the hole quicker by being more successful.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
No set number but usually between 1 and 4 I guess. Depends a bit on the lie/difficulty and how the first one feels...

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In training the golden rule is "tell them, tell them, then tell them again" so it makes sense to 'tell yourself' how to play the shot. Everything in life needs rehearsal to improve.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always have a little practice to get a feel for the shot. When around the green chipping I find that often you are standing on awkward lies like up against bunkers, on the down slope off the back etc etc. So to me it makes sense to just have a couple of practice swings if nothing more than to practice your balance on these different lies, so that it feels more comfortable.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty much the same as others. At least 2 and as many as I think I need to get the feel, which could be 4 or 5 for a tricky one.

Also on a chip shot it's not just swing speed and length but getting the club to just brush or bruise the turf at the bottom of the arc.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm in the go when ready camp - but would add one, for me, important addition; I'm not ready until I've stopped thinking about any mechanical element of the shot at all!

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I always take practice swings with my short game, not a set routine but hit when I feel ready. Annoys me in the winter when I have to clean my club after practice swings then the actual shot though.