Practice Resume

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking to start one next season, on a normal week. - Will have access to putting green/mat in bedroom. Driving range and short game area (15 minute drive). And then 125 yard grass area (2 minutes from home) and a putting green there.

Got 2 courses 15 minutes each and then the other course is 2 minutes away

Want to include fitness as well. Just a note, got football on Thursday evening, Junior Medal on Friday, Football most Sunday AM. Gym Monday straight after school. And of course school!

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
roughly how much time do you have per day to practice? Obviously with you being at school you will be able to practice a lot more during the holidays so can you provide both?

Yeah lots of practice and playing in holidays!

Taking homework into consideration I would probably have a maximum of 2 hours per night! More at weekends!

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
as long as that spare 2 hours also allows time with friends and family then you have plenty to be working with.

I always advocate a 70-30 split between short game (putting, chipping, approach shots) and long game (irons, woods, tee shots) so lets say you can average 2 hours per day for 5 days per week of practice (not unreasonable for most people) I would suggest 3 nights of short game and 2 nights of long game practice.

Make your schedule as diverse and fun as possible. If you have other like minded golfing friends go to the putting and chipping green with them and play each other in competitions.

When you do practice your long game warm up through your irons (9, 7, 5, hybrid, 3 wood, driver) then play an imaginary course on the range. Make sure you practice with a purpose. Don't just hit ball after ball for an hour, watch the ball until it lands and stops rolling. Think about the result and why it happened before you tee up another. Always go through your full pre-shot routine with each ball you hit.

When you are working on your chipping and wedges aim for small specific targets. Don't just think "I want it to land on the green or stop near the hole". See the specific point you want the ball to land and picture how the ball will react when it does. Again watch the ball for it's entire journey and think about how varying your technique is changing the result.

I would also suggest working on long putting, scrambling, bunkers, and novel rescue shots (reverse handed, deep rough, flops over bunkers) etc. as part of your short game time. Short putting you can work on at home for at least half an hour every day. If you set yourself a challenge to say hole 20 three foot putts, 10 four foot putts, and 5 five foot putts every night before you can watch a little TV, read a book, or play video games and if you miss one putt you have to start over again then you are building natural pressure into your putting routine that you will be able to take with you onto the course.

Remember: create little games whatever you are practicing and keep track of your scores but don't set yourself goals to break a certain score in a certain time (including handicap and par on the course) set goals to practice a certain amount of time each day or a certain amount of shots each week. Do that and the handicap and scoring will take care of itself.

One other thing, always remember that golf is fun, don't treat it like a job (even if you want to make it as a professional one day) get out there as much as you can and play, drop balls in odd places, create mini games and challenges when it is quiet, use two balls and play the worst, chip into bunkers and then blast back out.

Last edited:

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
as long as that spare 2 hours also allows time with friends and family then you have plenty to be working with.

I always advocate a 70-30 split between short game (putting, chipping, approach shots) and long game (irons, woods, tee shots) so lets say you can average 2 hours per day for 5 days per week of practice (not unreasonable for most people) I would suggest 3 nights of short game and 2 nights of long game practice.

Make your schedule as diverse and fun as possible. If you have other like minded golfing friends go to the putting and chipping green with them and play each other in competitions.

When you do practice your long game warm up through your irons (9, 7, 5, hybrid, 3 wood, driver) then play an imaginary course on the range. Make sure you practice with a purpose. Don't just hit ball after ball for an hour, watch the ball until it lands and stops rolling. Think about the result and why it happened before you tee up another. Always go through your full pre-shot routine with each ball you hit.

When you are working on your chipping and wedges aim for small specific targets. Don't just think "I want it to land on the green or stop near the hole". See the specific point you want the ball to land and picture how the ball will react when it does. Again watch the ball for it's entire journey and think about how varying your technique is changing the result.

I would also suggest working on long putting, scrambling, bunkers, and novel rescue shots (reverse handed, deep rough, flops over bunkers) etc. as part of your short game time. Short putting you can work on at home for at least half an hour every day. If you set yourself a challenge to say hole 20 three foot putts, 10 four foot putts, and 5 five foot putts every night before you can watch a little TV, read a book, or play video games and if you miss one putt you have to start over again then you are building natural pressure into your putting routine that you will be able to take with you onto the course.

Remember: create little games whatever you are practicing and keep track of your scores but don't set yourself goals to break a certain score in a certain time (including handicap and par on the course) set goals to practice a certain amount of time each day or a certain amount of shots each week. Do that and the handicap and scoring will take care of itself.

One other thing, always remember that golf is fun, don't treat it like a job (even if you want to make it as a professional one day) get out there as much as you can and play, drop balls in odd places, create mini games and challenges when it is quiet, use two balls and play the worst, chip into bunkers and then blast back out.

Thank you very much for your time in writing this! I'll work all that information into a routine! Thanks

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
you looking to resume or start a regime? if its the former as per your OP then what were you doing already?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My course is 2 minutes away..... haven't been there for 6 weeks :mad:

Amateurs need to spend most time on their short game. Chipping and putting will save you a ton of shots and is easy to work on. Your long game could take years to improve so don't spend too much time worry about it... think of that part of your game as 'work in progress'.