Practice before play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Now I know you're not supposed to practice on the course before a Strokeplay round but what actually constitutes The Course...
Our 1st tee and 9th green are fairly close and, while waiting for Fragger to turn up, saw one Guy, who as it turns out wasn't in the Comp, practicing his chipping on the mounds that fall away from the back of 9th green as you play it - ie between the 1st tee and 9th green.
So this bit of grass, although in a kind of No-Man's land could be used whilst playing the 9th if you airmail the green.

Is this practicing on the Course..?

As he wasn't in the Comp it's a hypothetical question only...

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that it is ANY integral part of the course.
What you describe is not allowed (I think).
Our practice chipping green is 'in' the course between two fairways but it is staked and roped off. I do not think you can chip to it unless you are inside the rope. Otherwise you are 'practicing' on the 'course'.
Could be wrong and don't have a rule book at hand to trawl.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My understanding is that it is ANY integral part of the course.
What you describe is not allowed (I think).
Our practice chipping green is 'in' the course between two fairways but it is staked and roped off. I do not think you can chip to it unless you are inside the rope. Otherwise you are 'practicing' on the 'course'.
Could be wrong and don't have a rule book at hand to trawl.

Seems fine to me,

I believe that example would be 'practicing on the course'.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Prior to a round the only places you can practice.

Exception: Practice putting or chipping on or near the first teeing ground or any practice area before starting a round or play-off is permitted.

During a round there is only 3 areas where you may practice chipping and putting.

a. the putting green of the hole last played,
b. any practice putting green, or
c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,