Powering a wall mounted tv

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Getting a new roof on the conservatory this week. Walls will be getting replastered as part of the job, and am planning on putting a new tv on the wall. There are no power sockets on the wall (plasterboard stud wall). An electrician will be coming in to fit some new spotlights and I was going to ask him to put a new double socket in behind where the tv will go, for the tv and a firestick.

I don't want unsightly cables, so is this the best way to do it? Am a bit concerned that the plugs from the tv and the firestick will mean the tv isn't flush with the wall.

I've bought a full motion wall mount just in case I want / need to angle the tv to avoid sunlight https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081FCTZHC/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

Any advice from sparkys or good DIY-ers welcome!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I presume that bracket is suitable for the tv you have and for mounting on a stud wall?

Regardless, your TV won't be flush to the wall. So putting a recessed socket behind shouldn't be a problem.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I presume that bracket is suitable for the tv you have and for mounting on a stud wall?

Regardless, your TV won't be flush to the wall. So putting a recessed socket behind shouldn't be a problem.

Richer Sounds recommend that wall mount for the specific tv I've bought, so should be fine on that score.

Why would there be a problem with that mount and a stud wall?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That’s similar to the one I got , I hid the cables behind the stud wall and got a sparky to connect the wires and put in a double flush mounted socket. Your tv will sit off the wall a bit and not be near the socket. As mine is a large tv I made sure the screws went into the timber strapping.

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
Tv mount to timber stud and not the plasterboard and you’ll be good ??
As others have said, flush mounted socket and spur off the nearest circuit

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tv mount to timber stud and not the plasterboard and you’ll be good ??
As others have said, flush mounted socket and spur off the nearest circuit

Why? If the wall is built properly with adequate joists and noggins and the bracket has the load spread across multiple fixing points, with the right load fixings then it will be fine.

We've had a 65" mounted on to plasterboard for 5 years using interset fixings that "butterfly" behind the wall. There are 8 in total spread out across the width of the bracket. Absolutely fine if the job is done right.

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
Why? If the wall is built properly with adequate joists and noggins and the bracket has the load spread across multiple fixing points, with the right load fixings then it will be fine.

We've had a 65" mounted on to plasterboard for 5 years using interset fixings that "butterfly" behind the wall. There are 8 in total spread out across the width of the bracket. Absolutely fine if the job is done right.
Agreed but most people don’t put 8 fixings in total spread out across. better to be safe than sorry for the avg diy’er

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
TV's are a lot lighter now despite the increasing screen size, some old 42" or 50" plasma's were very heavy and no way would I have wall mounted into plasterboard without the bracket into the posts. The 65" OLED we fitted was much lighter than the 42" we removed but I still put the bracket into the posts to be safe. You should be able to get fixings into at least one post (preferably two) and wall anchors elsewhere, it's more important to have solid fixings on the full motion brackets as you can take the weight of the TV away from the wall so putting more stress on the bracket. Brush plates like below are handy for feeding aerial cable, HDMI, etc if you ever want to connect to Sky, xBox, AV amp, etc, now or in the future.

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk...lates/fis-ww-sgl/fis-ww-sgl_small_2-large.jpg

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
TV's are a lot lighter now despite the increasing screen size, some old 42" or 50" plasma's were very heavy and no way would I have wall mounted into plasterboard without the bracket into the posts. The 65" OLED we fitted was much lighter than the 42" we removed but I still put the bracket into the posts to be safe. You should be able to get fixings into at least one post (preferably two) and wall anchors elsewhere, it's more important to have solid fixings on the full motion brackets as you can take the weight of the TV away from the wall so putting more stress on the bracket. Brush plates like below are handy for feeding aerial cable, HDMI, etc if you ever want to connect to Sky, xBox, AV amp, etc, now or in the future.

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk...lates/fis-ww-sgl/fis-ww-sgl_small_2-large.jpg

the set I've bought weighs 4.65kg!

D

Deleted member 23270

Don't forget to run your aerial cable up inside the wall as well. Maybe an optical cable too if you are planning to connect a soundbar.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would recommend this easy to fit 65 inch tv bracket from Currys . Sorry but I can't remember what make it is
If there isn't a stud exactly where you need it, slide in a wooden dwang though where the double socket box hole is cut.
Better to run in a HDMI, an aerial a mains cable, and if you fancy run in a network cable.
I would also install a isolation spur either low down below the tv or on the side wall.
Edit, it's a Sandstrum , does up to 75 inch cost £99 but worth it

Attachments

• 20200725_171223 wall tv r.jpg
    20200725_171223 wall tv r.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: