TV Wall Bracket

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My good lady has given me permission to upgrade our 10yr old tv in the bedroom to a more modern one. I am linking it to a Sky HD box, giving Freesat channels only. Permission has been granted on the basis that I wall mount it. Suits me fine, I prefer that so it was a win win. Anyway, I go to look online and find a whole host of options that have me confused.

Basically, it will be a modern 32" tv, weight 5-6kg and it will be mounted at about 6ft high directly at the end of the bed. I will not need to swing it around but we may want to tilt it a little so that the screen is pointing down to us to give the best picture. Any obvious tips, things to look out, things to avoid etc? What sort of price point do I need to be at so that it works well but clearly is not needed to hold a pub style 60" beast.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Nah then LT, without boring you. my lad turned up on Saturday with his TV bracket but no telly, said it is on its way. Anyway I asked why he had a tv bracket. The sarcastic reply was obvious. Anyway I pointed out to him that all tellys now have a standard fixing (holes) on the back of the tellys so they can be wall mounted. The bracket he has brought home. One half of the bracket fixes to the wall. There is a template you put on the wall where you drill the holes. The template has a built in spirit level. The other half of the bracket screws into the back of the telly ( four holes) telly then drops into back of wall mount. Plus the bracket allows the to to told 15 degrees forward. Easy peezy lemon squeezy.
He then asked me why I told him that. Because the Samsung telly he has on the wall already, is mounted exactly the same way, the divot.
now the telly he has bought is an LG 56" tv. The bracket says it only goes up to 49". Guy in shop says the size is not the important factor, the important factor is the weight the bracket will carry. Which it will more than carry.

Goes without saying make sure that you don't drill any holes directly above or below any electric points or radiators. Make sure your cables are long enough.

If you are still awake, you mentioned about linking it to a sky hd box. If you are already paying for sky. Buy a " magic eye" which sits on the top of your telly. When you are tucked up in bed you can watch all of your sky channels whilst snuggled up in bed. The magic eye links to your Sky box 😜 Without paying for multi room.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say it depends on the wall. If it's a solid wall then nearly any standard TV rated for that weight TV will do. If it's a stud wall I'd choose a mount with a larger footprint to spread the weight.

Shouldn't be any more than £20-30 for the mount and that going to more expensive options.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tashy - Good stuff. Do you know where your lad got his bracket and the type of bracket he got?

The Sky box I have is not linked to our downstairs Sky system in any way. It is a multi room box that someone didn't want, upgraded to Sky Q, and I picked it up to replace my old Freesat box. This gives a better picture, Sky interface and is nice and fast. Unfortunately not linked to my Sky account but I knew that so not bothered. Thanks for the tip though.

Pal - thanks for the comment about spreading the footprint. That makes sense as I am pretty sure it is a stud wall.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best viewing position for a telly is about the same level as your head when viewing. You really should avoid having to look up. You see some people put tellys above the fireplace way higher than head when sitting down. Not good.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The one he has is called a sandstrom from PC world / Currys. The hole pattern is called VESA hole pattern.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Iv just wall mounted a 65" tv in the living room, the bracket is a full motion one and it cost me 23 quid or something. Check the vesa size and weight the bracket can carry. If it's a stud wall you may find that you won't catch 2 studs suitable for holding the bracket, if that happens find where the studs are and screw a 12/15mm bit of MDF over 3 studs then screw the bracket onto the MDF.
I think I seen a deal on groupon the other day for to wall mounts so have a look there.
I have photos of my installation if it would help you and you want to see them.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/tv-or-av-wall-mount-bracket-2

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Maybe a bit of overkill but the sheer adjustability of these are great. I have one for my main tv and it takes the weight easily, a smaller tv would work grand on it. Forwards, backwards, up, down, tilt etc.

Untitled-1.jpg