Hiding cables on wall mounted tv

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After ignoring the mess of 3 cables dangling on a wall mounted TV for a number of years my wife has finally insisted that they are tidied away. TV is my realm apparently so it's for me to sort ?.

Anyway they only need to cover for about 1m but they do need to enclose 3 cables, 2 power cords and a hdmi. None are skinny. It will go pretty much horizontally across the wall, leading to an alcove. Colour doesn't matter as I will paint over it.

Any recommendations, tips, mistakes to avoid?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TJQ882S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_T8TPYW4KKEGY0DPNFH24

I used these

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's a clever idea but I'd still end up having to enclose the wires dropping down from the ceiling to the back of the TV. I'm also not 100% that the cables would be long enough. I might end up over engineering a solution that is simple to resolve, albeit not quite as slick.

I'm going to use some D-Line trunking for the cables, thanks to whoever it was on page 1 suggested screwfix for that, but this has given me food for thought for future. Downstairs TV is on a tv table stand but as TV's get bigger they become harder to fit on them. The next TV may go on a wall and this has given me ideas for how to hide those cables.

The small TV table and large TV problem is solved with these. They also enable you to set the right eye level for viewing and mean a sound bar goes under the TV.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402829890457?hash=item5dca885399:g:omUAAOSwGENe2wCv

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry I'm not great at diy. Isn't a stud wall just wood and plasterboard? How can you hang a mashoosive Tv on that?

It is but the stud frame, if properly built, gives it strength and rigidity.

You can either screw directly into a wooden stud or noggin or, as in my case, use heavy weight interset fixings that 'butterfly' inside the wall and multiple fixings spread out and distribute the force.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry I'm not great at diy. Isn't a stud wall just wood and plasterboard? How can you hang a mashoosive Tv on that?
I had to remove the tv yesterday to paint the wall so I can confirm my tv bracket is made by Vonhaus. They do lots of brackets, you can buy direct or via Amazon. I went paranoid and put 9 wall plugs and screws in. 4 would have been enough apparently but I thought like you and was nervous. Looking at it yesterday, about 3 years after hanging it, there has been zero movement in that time. All of the screws are as tight now as back then. I'm not sure I would have the bottle to follow Greig with a 65" tv, mine is a paltry 32" in the bedroom, but it is feasible.

Edit - just read Greig's post. Educational, interesting to hear there is method in it not just crossing of fingers :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I wouldn’t be hanging anything too heavy using those.
I’d be finding a timber to screw to or add more timbers if needed.

" Very good quality and easy and quick to use with the correct fitting tool . There’s anchors can hold a substantial weight so there was no need to pepper the wall with holes as you would with screw in dry walls . Ideal for large TV mounting and for shelving. "

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I wouldn’t be hanging anything too heavy using those.
I’d be finding a timber to screw to or add more timbers if needed.

I'm intrigued. How would you add more 'timbers'? I assume you mean studs or noggins?

Interset fixings are absolutely fine as they spread the load across the whole bracket. You can swing on my TV bracket, and I have tried, with 6 interset 10 x 75 fixings.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm intrigued. How would you add more 'timbers'? I assume you mean studs or noggins?

Interset fixings are absolutely fine as they spread the load across the whole bracket. You can swing on my TV bracket, and I have tried, with 6 interset 10 x 75 fixings.
I put extra timber behind the plaster board to suit my bracket, because there wasn't a stud exactly where I needed it for my new 65 inch tv bracket.

I used the hole I made for the double dry lining box/socket, to let me to insert and fix timber behind precisely where I needed the fixings/ dwangs .

Attachments

• 20200725_171223 wall tv r.jpg
    20200725_171223 wall tv r.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site

" Very good quality and easy and quick to use with the correct fitting tool . There’s anchors can hold a substantial weight so there was no need to pepper the wall with holes as you would with screw in dry walls . Ideal for large TV mounting and for shelving. "
That’s fine mate,But personally I wouldn’t trust them with anything too heavy.
But tbf modern TV’s don’t weigh much.