Hiding cables on wall mounted tv

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
After ignoring the mess of 3 cables dangling on a wall mounted TV for a number of years my wife has finally insisted that they are tidied away. TV is my realm apparently so it's for me to sort ?.

Anyway they only need to cover for about 1m but they do need to enclose 3 cables, 2 power cords and a hdmi. None are skinny. It will go pretty much horizontally across the wall, leading to an alcove. Colour doesn't matter as I will paint over it.

Any recommendations, tips, mistakes to avoid?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
After ignoring the mess of 3 cables dangling on a wall mounted TV for a number of years my wife has finally insisted that they are tidied away. TV is my realm apparently so it's for me to sort ?.

Anyway they only need to cover for about 1m but they do need to enclose 3 cables, 2 power cords and a hdmi. None are skinny. It will go pretty much horizontally across the wall, leading to an alcove. Colour doesn't matter as I will paint over it.

Any recommendations, tips, mistakes to avoid?

Are you redecorating any time soon?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It would help if we knew if it is a stud wall or solid.

Stud wall. I think I know where this is going and I'm both tempted and afraid.
Are you redecorating any time soon?
Right at this moment, plenty of paint left in the tin ?

My original thought was a section of plastic cable tidy. You are thinking going through the walls?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best inside the wall if possible, or behind the skirting, but if you don't want a mess there's various types of PVC mini trunking and mini skirting trunking available.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just seen it's a stud wall. Carefully remove the skirting and make a channel for the cables behind it. Pop holes into the cavity one behind the telly one behind the skirting. Fish the cables along and up to the telly. You can fit a drylining box behind the telly.
That'll be £350 thank you :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Further, the TV is on a wall. The plugs and devices at the other end come out in the alcove, think of it like a dogleg.

The big problem in my eyes is the TV plug is physically attached to the TV. I can't pull it out, feed it through and reattach. I'd have to cut a plug sized hole in each stud wall, unless there is an alternative?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Further, the TV is on a wall. The plugs and devices at the other end come out in the alcove, think of it like a dogleg.

The big problem in my eyes is the TV plug is physically attached to the TV. I can't pull it out, feed it through and reattach. I'd have to cut a plug sized hole in each stud wall, unless there is an alternative?
Put a socket behind the telly or extend the mains cable

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just seen it's a stud wall. Carefully remove the skirting and make a channel for the cables behind it. Pop holes into the cavity one behind the telly one behind the skirting. Fish the cables along and up to the telly.
That'll be £350 thank you :ROFLMAO:
£350 ?. I'm going to start a thread of outrage about that ?.

The TV is head high and the cables currently go horizontally across into the alcove where the devices and plus are. They only have to travel 50-60cm right now. I think your design, unless I've misunderstood, takes it a long route and would have cables to be covered going vertically down before reaching the skirting.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

The TV is head high and the cables currently go horizontally across into the alcove where the devices and plus are. They only have to travel 50-60cm right now. I think your design, unless I've misunderstood, takes it a long route and would have cables to be covered going vertically down before reaching the skirting.
Other option is cut into the plaster board where it crosses the vertical studs , usually there every 2 feet [ 600ml ] a feed the cables across.
You could cut the plug off use a Choc box to join the mains cable behind the telly.
Doesn't the small mains plug not pull out of the telly ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do you have coving where the wall meets the ceiling? Trunking up to the coving and then along the coving into the alcove may be less obtrusive visually.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Other option is cut into the plaster board where it crosses the vertical studs , usually there every 2 feet [ 600ml ] a feed the cables across.
You could cut the plug off use a Choc box to join the mains cable behind the telly.
Doesn't the small mains plug not pull out of the telly ?
No, it's fixed to the tv.

I'll have a Google of this to see if I have the skills or whether I'm going to be requiring a builder shortly after ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, it's fixed to the tv.

I'll have a Google of this to see if I have the skills or whether I'm going to be requiring a builder shortly after ?
Must be an old TV , they usually have a small 2 pin plug that pulls out. But don't be afraid to cut the 13 amp plug off you can just fit a new plugtop.
I can see me upping my price :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Must be an old TV , they usually have a small 2 pin plug that pulls out. But don't be afraid to cut the 13 amp plug off you can just fit a new plugtop.
I can see me upping my price :ROFLMAO:
It's a cheap TV but fine for the bedroom. Not worth buying a new one for.

I've watched a few helpful Americans and I think a bit of screwfix trunking is starting to look more attractive. If it was in the living room it would be worth getting someone in to do it properly but it's looking overly complicated for me, for what it is.

No more nails for the trunking to the wall?