potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Played today in a fourball and we decided to see if there was any difference to the putts or the time taken to play the round

One putt was helped when the person overhit the putt and it would have finished 6-10 feet passed and instead bounced of the pin - we all felt it was a bit of con really because the player didn’t get punished for a poor putt , the player also felt a bit guilty about it and felt it was dumbing down the game,

another putt was going in nice paced but it hit the flag and bounced out - think the flag may have not have been in straight but couldn’t tell - the putt would have certainly gone in with the flag out.

All other putts went in with no issues

We also took 4 hours to play - made zero difference to the time it takes to play a round

Out of the four all of us felt it was off putting to have the flag left in all the time and next time it will be back to normal - out mainly
Fwiw You can't be certain about the one that hit the flag dropping .

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played today in a fourball and we decided to see if there was any difference to the putts or the time taken to play the round

One putt was helped when the person overhit the putt and it would have finished 6-10 feet passed and instead bounced of the pin - we all felt it was a bit of con really because the player didn’t get punished for a poor putt , the player also felt a bit guilty about it and felt it was dumbing down the game,

another putt was going in nice paced but it hit the flag and bounced out - think the flag may have not have been in straight but couldn’t tell - the putt would have certainly gone in with the flag out.

All other putts went in with no issues

We also took 4 hours to play - made zero difference to the time it takes to play a round

Out of the four all of us felt it was off putting to have the flag left in all the time and next time it will be back to normal - out mainly

Golf is full of poor shots that don't get punished (didn't someone get a HIO after bouncing off a tree!) and full of good shots that don't get rewarded (nasty kick off a sprinkler head anyone!)
Maybe if the flag was out the player would've subconsciously hit with less pace, you cant second guess these things or you'll go loopy

Just a bit of attitude adjustment required under the rules as they are now, it'll take a wee bit of time I suspect

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Golf is full of poor shots that don't get punished (didn't someone get a HIO after bouncing off a tree!) and full of good shots that don't get rewarded (nasty kick off a sprinkler head anyone!)
Maybe if the flag was out the player would've subconsciously hit with less pace, you cant second guess these things or you'll go loopy

Just a bit of attitude adjustment required under the rules as they are now, it'll take a wee bit of time I suspect
Slab...
The voice of reason(y)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The guy who hit the pin was probably secretly buzzing his socks off but was afraid to say to his 3 scowling playing partners through a barrage of tuts and calls of dumbing down the game.

I can put a different spin on it if you like.

The flag in will reward an aggressive putt that is hit on line. :)

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Played Saturday in a 4 ball. First Saturday morning game in 2019. Not out until 10 so plenty of fourballa in front

Flag in until someone removed it, then stayed out. Common sense really.

Saved 20 minutes using new rules. Was nice to get round in 3h45 with a sausage bap stop halfway. Waited on the odd shot but not too bad overall. Pace was always just the wrong side of 4hrs in the same slot last year so hoping this speeds things up regularly and wasn't a one off.

If a standard members course (sub 6500 yards) on a weekday social round takes 4 hours to get around with nobody in front then that's a very slow group imo.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People do play faster in winter because it’s freezing .
Shorter course etc.
We will see when the proper comps start how times go .
Can’t see it making that much difference really.
We are usually governed by the games ahead and waste most time standing on the tee, but if games in front are faster it’s only going to help.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see this rule being abolished and going back to flag always out.
As I said a while back it’s an advantage leaving the flag in from distance.

Lee Westwood said yesterday he would be leaving the flag in from distance hoping that if it was going past he hoped the flag in would stop it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Lee Westwood said yesterday he would be leaving the flag in from distance hoping that if it was going past he hoped the flag in would stop it.
lol why on earth would they change it back? Do you seriously think the rulemakers didn't test it out and know that it would be a slight advantage for putts that were too hard? Of course it's an advantage but the same advantage for anyone.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I don't fully understand the idea of just leaving it in from distance. Granted there is a small chance of of hitting the pin from long range but it is unlikely.

The main advantage is to he gained when actually attempting to get the ball in the hole from inside 15 feet.

D

Deleted member 15344

A few of the pros have said they may see it changed for their comps

McGinley was saying the rule was brought in not to help the golfers get the ball in the hole , not to help them out - it was brought in for pace of play purposes only - the Pros have caddies so they have no pace of play issues around the flag out or in so it’s purely for performance only which then imo whilst playing to the rules is not really in the spirit of the game - it’s using something to potentially help the ball get in the hole. So he questioned why its being allowed - wouldn’t surprise if it was changed , rule changes shouldn’t be there to make the game “easier” and to help golfers when they are poor putters or mistakes

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
lol why on earth would they change it back? Do you seriously think the rulemakers didn't test it out and know that it would be a slight advantage for putts that were too hard? Of course it's an advantage but the same advantage for anyone.

Yeah I don't see it being revoked. It's only an advantage for putts that are online and hit to hard, i can't see this rule knocking too many shots of handicaps

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
We will see
Calm down though mate it’s only an observation.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I don't see it being revoked. It's only an advantage for putts that are online and hit to hard, i can't see this rule knocking too many shots of handicaps
Or as Lee Westwood said impossible to stop putts.

These pro golfers are extremely accurate from long range.
Time will tell,but if the R&A see that leaving it in is a major advantage they could change it back.

And the argument that it’s the same for everyone is completely false unless everyone is leaving it in,and they are not.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Or as Lee Westwood said impossible to stop putts.

These pro golfers are extremely accurate from long range.
Time will tell,but if the R&A see that leaving it in is a major advantage they could change it back.

And the argument that it’s the same for everyone is completely false unless everyone is leaving it in,and they are not.
They're not that accurate. Look at the percent off putts made from distance, once you get past 10 /12 feet out the numbers really drop off.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
New rules have been tried in the past, found to be either not working or taking up time and have been changed.
It wouldn't surprise me if this one was changed again in a year or two. R&A maybe happy with it, no doubt they'll be monitoring it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can't see them changing the rules to not allow the flag to be left in for pro events. Surely that's a small step on the road to bifurication

I must have been tested but over a course of a season how much difference and an advantage will a pro really get and most are creatures of habit and will get the caddy to remove it anyway