potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hitting it hard at the flag will only work with a straight putt.
If you hit the ball hard on a breaking putt you will just hit it through the break.
This means to hit it hard with a breaking putt you need to take some of the break out of it.
This is just something else to go wrong imo.

Most videos I have seen have only dealt with straight putts.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me thinks one is being a tad pedantic!

Not at all.

The original post I replied to was making the point that his putting is more accurate now as aiming for the pin is a smaller target than aiming for the hole. On a breaking putt, you're not aiming for either the hole or the pin and as most putts are breaking, I was simply pointing out that the statement doesn't make sense.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
Not at all.

The original post I replied to was making the point that his putting is more accurate now as aiming for the pin is a smaller target than aiming for the hole. On a breaking putt, you're not aiming for either the hole or the pin and as most putts are breaking, I was simply pointing out that the statement doesn't make sense.

I get what you are saying but I view things differently - I am ALWAYS aiming at the hole, but may be starting the putt away from it depending on the break... just as it is rare that if I’m throwing a ball at something I’ll try to send it there in a straight line; I’m much more likely to take a parabolic approach to account for gravity (or ‘vertical break’ if you like), but I am still ‘aiming’ at the target.

That is what @Orikoru was saying I think.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get what you are saying but I view things differently - I am ALWAYS aiming at the hole, but may be starting the putt away from it depending on the break... just as it is rare that if I’m throwing a ball at something I’ll try to send it there in a straight line; I’m much more likely to take a parabolic approach to account for gravity (or ‘vertical break’ if you like), but I am still ‘aiming’ at the target.

That is what @Orikoru was saying I think.

You "aim" your putter face when putting, simples...

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, and I ‘aim’ for the hole, but don’t necessarily point straight at it... for me the aim is the end goal, not where I am facing

I get what you're saying and that's perfectly fine if that's what you believe, you're free to be wrong...

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
I get what you're saying and that's perfectly fine if that's what you believe, you're free to be wrong...

Ditto Actually I’ll edit that as you are entitled to your opinion, just as I am mine. And as anyone that doesn’t share my opinion is going to be wrong in my eyes (else they would be sharing my view) unless they can convince me to change my opinion. I assume you are of the same mind, based on your post, so we’ll just have to disagree.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not at all.

It makes sense to me as you should always aim or focus on the smallest target that you can.

I look at the hole when putting despite the break.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It makes sense to me as you should always aim or focus on the smallest target that you can.

I look at the hole when putting despite the break.

My reply has nothing to do with where you're looking. The definition of aiming in this instance is pointing something at a target i.e. your putter face at your intended starting line. Unless the putt is dead straight you are not pointing your putter face at the centre of the hole and therefore by definition, not aiming at the hole.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My reply has nothing to do with where you're looking. The definition of aiming in this instance is pointing something at a target i.e. your putter face at your intended starting line. Unless the putt is dead straight you are not pointing your putter face at the centre of the hole and therefore by definition, not aiming at the hole.

As I said earlier - pedantic.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had about half an hour on the practice greens today and as usual I left all the flags in
Different pins to the course obviously but didn't feel the holed/not holed outcome of any putt was changed
The only outcome that was changed was on a 60 footer that probably would have jumped the hole and over run by 10ft + but struck the pin and stopped within 2ft, I'll take that on the course any day

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had about half an hour on the practice greens today and as usual I left all the flags in
Different pins to the course obviously but didn't feel the holed/not holed outcome of any putt was changed
The only outcome that was changed was on a 60 footer that probably would have jumped the hole and over run by 10ft + but struck the pin and stopped within 2ft, I'll take that on the course any day
That’s funny,I mentioned that would happen:)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played today with the idea of the ball resting against the flag and having to have at least a tiny portion of the ball below the surface of the hole to qualify it as being holed.

It will be very rare to find one touching the flag but not in the hole.

It was blowing hard today. Only once on a very sloping green with the flag being blown sideways did we observe a situation where the ball could touch the flag while not having any of the ball below the surface.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today with the idea of the ball resting against the flag and having to have at least a tiny portion of the ball below the surface of the hole to qualify it as being holed.

It will be very rare to find one touching the flag but not in the hole.

It was blowing hard today. Only once on a very sloping green with the flag being blown sideways did we observe a situation where the ball could touch the flag while not having any of the ball below the surface.
Did it drop when you centred the flag?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not at all.

Jesus Christ man, you must be fun at parties. :LOL: I'm going with 'pedantic' as well I think. You've made about 6 posts quibbling my use of the word 'aiming'. Absolutely everyone else knew exactly what I meant.

Skip Surf

Visit site
Played this morning.... Folk will need to get in the habit of saying what they want... a few times we were looking at each other wondering whether to remove or leave it. But overall, it's a decent rule change
New to the site (enjoying it) and just referred to this thread. Perhaps you'll pardon me not reading all 19 pages, but I wonder if there's been a consensus reached on how to figure shot order. While ready golf is always fine, it's been a bit confusing two weeks in trying to figure when to pull the pin. So far, it seems everyone declaring what they prefer, then 'pin-in' players hit first regardless of distance to cup, then 'pin-outs'. But there have also been pin jabbing in/out awkward moments similar to an intern trying to draw blood...