potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

D

Deleted Member 1156

My 'group' today noticed that because some guys wanted the flag in and some wanted it removed, on the same green, there was a bit more faffing about than before !!
Yep my thoughts exactly. I don't care how many people are pro 'flag in', if I'm playing in a competition then it will be flag out for me irrespective of whether it is in or out when it's my turn to putt.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My 'group' today noticed that because some guys wanted the flag in and some wanted it removed, on the same green, there was a bit more faffing about than before !!

Early days though and surely that will settle down. I've played 2 rounds and no one has specifically requested leaving it in if it has already been removed. We left it in when it was convenient but once removed it stayed out. Some may be playing silly beggars, both ways, in the initial stages but hopefully that will calm down. If not then they are likely to be golfers who are pedantic and awkward anyway.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Accidentally over-hit your putt and it rattles the flag and drops - well that's just a lucky break (of which we often get plenty - balanced off by the bad luck/breaks). Leave the flag in and deliberately hit the putt firmly and it goes in after hitting the flag? Good choice. Good putt. But miss it? Well you take your medicine with your next putt from wherever...

If the rule had always been that the flag could be left in would there be moves to change ? I doubt it, it would simply be part of the game. I'm guessing the rule over removing the flag came about in early days when the flagstick might have been pretty mighty beast and could easily be very variable in nature and diameter from one green to the next. Certainly I remember from my very early playing days around 1970 that the flagsticks on the greens of my local muni were a variety of very solid and quite chunky rods of (rusty) steel...and when the didn't fit properly (a regular occurrence) they could lean over and present a potentially significant barrier to the ball.

Must go read Harry Vardon and Henry Cotton views on flag in / flag out when playing from off the green.

New rule I think will be fine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had one in our group who preferred the flag to be out still. What we did was wherever possible the other two of us who wanted it in would putt first, even if we were slightly nearer (since in essence, ready golf can apply), and then remove the flag for the other guy's putts. If we weren't able to do it that way for whatever reason, then I would just leave it out once it was out, I wasn't going to be that much of a stickler about it.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Shouldn’t be any faffing about. Ready play allows those who want the flag in to go first as its alREADY in. Those who want it out go last.
Guess it only becomes a conundrum if you/opponents don’t like lines stepped on.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I see Adam Scott has declared that he will also be keeping the flagstick in when putting.

Love the men from down under I do.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mixed ideas about in or out in our group today but one thing we all agreed on was once the flagstick was taken out it stayed out until the hole was completed by all.

Virtually every uphill putt was taken with the flagstick out. The consensus being with our flagsticks there is a better chance of the ball dropping after hitting the back of the hole rather than the flagstick.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I also read the Adam Scott story, are clubs allowed to implement local rule that says you can't putt with flag in? I didn't think you could override a rule with a local rule.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Fourball yesterday found ourselves in flag In/Out checking most greens - a couple of us fancied it in - a couple out. For short as well as medium length putts. Risk of much faffing about was discussed. In the end if first to putt decided Flag Out then we generally stuck with it even if others fancied Flag In. Was a friendly knock so didn't really matter - but I can sense a load of faffing about in a more serious context.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I think all those who insist on having the flag out no matter what because that's what they've always done , will soon change their minds once the pros start keeping it in.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think all those who insist on having the flag out no matter what because that's what they've always done , will soon change their minds once the pros start keeping it in.
Why should I change my mind based on what I see pros doing on telly? I will do what I feel helps me shoot the lowest scores.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I will be leaving the flag in, but if someone else takes it out for their putt I'll probably just carry on.

Although I do think as the weeks go on, more and more groups will be flag out all the time.
And any clubs that are buying new flags will probably buy flags with narrower pole at the bottom.

I watched a bit of the tour from Hawaii last week, but it was extremely windy, so not surprised that even Bryson was having the flag taken out mostly. Plus time is not a concern for these guys, and they have caddies to sort the flag.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Surely if all the pros come to the conclusion that keeping it in lowers scores, then they'd probably be correct?
Not at all. As I've said before, I putt better when I feel confident standing over the ball, happy with the line and pace that I've chosen. I put a better stroke on the ball in those situations. To me, the hole looks smaller with the flag in and as a result I don't feel as confident.

Flag out for me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not all pros will go flag in.

Plenty are feel players. D4S has the same idea. It's all about doing what makes you feel comfortable.

Even if stats prove it to be marginally better with it in or out, at the end of the day, the player will ultimately do what gives him confidence.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not at all. As I've said before, I putt better when I feel confident standing over the ball, happy with the line and pace that I've chosen. I put a better stroke on the ball in those situations. To me, the hole looks smaller with the flag in and as a result I don't feel as confident.

Flag out for me.
Funnily enough I found that aiming at a flag rather than the hole made me slightly more accurate due to the smaller target (well maybe, needs to be tested over more time of course). i.e. it made me aim for the centre of the cup rather than one edge or the other. Each to their own though! I don't actually think every pro will end up leaving them in, it will probably be about 50-50 in the end based on preference rather than cold hard numbers.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funnily enough I found that aiming at a flag rather than the hole made me slightly more accurate due to the smaller target (well maybe, needs to be tested over more time of course). i.e. it made me aim for the centre of the cup rather than one edge or the other. Each to their own though! I don't actually think every pro will end up leaving them in, it will probably be about 50-50 in the end based on preference rather than cold hard numbers.

Aiming at the flag? Only straight putts where you play?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Not all pros will go flag in.

Plenty are feel players. D4S has the same idea. It's all about doing what makes you feel comfortable.

Even if stats prove it to be marginally better with it in or out, at the end of the day, the player will ultimately do what gives him confidence.
Sure but if 2 years down the road 90% of pros are leaving the flag in, do you really think everyone else won't follow suit.