potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

Wolf

Visit site
Aiming at the flag? Only straight putts where you play?
When I was a junior I got taught by a very good pro that every putt is in fact a straight putt, straight at the point you choose to aim at on the line you choose, you aim straight and hit straight at that point on that line and the ball does the rest.

A lesson that stuck with me always and as a result I've always been done exactly that and been a consistent putter. So I guess you could say every putt is a straight putt in a way

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was a junior I got taught by a very good pro that every putt is in fact a straight putt, straight at the point you choose to aim at on the line you choose, you aim straight and hit straight at that point on that line and the ball does the rest.

A lesson that stuck with me always and as a result I've always been done exactly that and been a consistent putter. So I guess you could say every putt is a straight putt in a way

That's how I putt, hence I am rarely aiming at the centre of the hole, so I don't get the apparent advantage of being able to aim at a flagstick when I'm very rarely actually aiming there.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seriously? Poor attempt mate. You know what I mean - smaller target.

Not sure what you mean re. poor attempt. If the putt isn't dead straight I'm not aiming at the centre of the hole, and as almost all putts have some sort of break I see no advantage.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely if all the pros come to the conclusion that keeping it in lowers scores, then they'd probably be correct?
They play on far faster greens than most of us and I bet the flagsticks used are such a diameter that they will make very little difference.

Last week Bryson was very careful about which holes he left the flag in and which ones he took it out on. From what I watched he seemed to be about 50/50 with it.

Wolf

Visit site
That's how I putt, hence I am rarely aiming at the centre of the hole, so I don't get the apparent advantage of being able to aim at a flagstick when I'm very rarely actually aiming there.
Best way to putt, I will leave flagstick in though not because I see it as an advantage, I simply don't see it as a disadvantage either, always played with it in when I've practised alone on course and never found an issue with it

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had a putt today that rattled the pin and stayed out.
Hit it too hard and I'm not convinced it would have dropped had the flag not been there.
In fact I think it would have popped out and gone a couple of yards away with no pin.
Flag stayed in all the way round.
I don't think we saved any time...

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best way to putt, I will leave flagstick in though not because I see it as an advantage, I simply don't see it as a disadvantage either, always played with it in when I've practised alone on course and never found an issue with it

Same here, my PP's and I are generally leaving it in from distance but taking it out once we get closer.

I have never taken the flag out when I'm out on my own for 9 holes.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure what you mean re. poor attempt. If the putt isn't dead straight I'm not aiming at the centre of the hole, and as almost all putts have some sort of break I see no advantage.

You might not be setting the ball off directly AT the hole, but you'll certainly want it to be going into the centre of the cup from the direction of the break you hit it into! Therefore, having the flag in, IS indeed an advantage, as proven by the research video earlier in this (or the other thread).

It's human nature to 'fear' change, so I get it, but given time when people have got used to it and all the pro's are keeping the flag in for the majority of puts, us amateurs will follow suit too ;-)

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
You might not be setting the ball off directly AT the hole, but you'll certainly want it to be going into the centre of the cup from the direction of the break you hit it into! Therefore, having the flag in, IS indeed an advantage, as proven by the research video earlier in this (or the other thread).

It's human nature to 'fear' change, so I get it, but given time when people have got used to it and all the pro's are keeping the flag in for the majority of puts, us amateurs will follow suit too ;-)

I was replying to a post talking about AIMING AT the flag. You don't aim at the flag unless the putt is dead straight.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another round today ‘5th’and still only one putt thats hit the flagstick which was my 6 foot putt, flag was leaning to right and my ball rested against flag when I got to the hole luckily it dropped.

I would have been annoyed if it didn’t drop as I would have taken the flag out and ball would have dropped and I would of replaced the ball and taken another shot.

Thinking about it after it was foolish to leave the flag in on this instance, with the flagstick leaning to the right it just left 3/4 of the hole for the ball to go in.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The ball doesnt have to drop, as long as a part of the ball is below the cup, it's in the hole. Just pick it up from where it rests against the flag with just 1mm below the cup, job done!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The ball doesnt have to drop, as long as a part of the ball is below the cup, it's in the hole. Just pick it up from where it rests against the flag with just 1mm below the cup, job done!

Thanks but I did know that, none of my ball was below the hole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think all those who insist on having the flag out no matter what because that's what they've always done , will soon change their minds once the pros start keeping it in.

I said as much to the others in my group yesterday - once we get used to it most of the time we'll keep it in. Flah In certainly helped when tapping in - not having to bother about taking the flag out.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems I have read this wrong. Some of the ball must be below the hole. I would like to see some examples of these.
Easiest way to look at it is that the ruling bodies have tried to put into words what the old rules delivered!
If some part of the ball is below the surface level of the green then it's always going to drop when the flag is centered...so why not just pick it up and save time.
If no part of the ball is below the surface level, but it's touching the flagstick, it's never going to drop without some external force coming into play when the flag is removed/centered etc - so it's not holed and get on with it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not at all. As I've said before, I putt better when I feel confident standing over the ball, happy with the line and pace that I've chosen. I put a better stroke on the ball in those situations. To me, the hole looks smaller with the flag in and as a result I don't feel as confident.

Flag out for me.

And we respect your choice.

⛳