potential problem with the new 'flag in' rule !

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
New to the site (enjoying it) and just referred to this thread. Perhaps you'll pardon me not reading all 19 pages, but I wonder if there's been a consensus reached on how to figure shot order. While ready golf is always fine, it's been a bit confusing two weeks in trying to figure when to pull the pin. So far, it seems everyone declaring what they prefer, then 'pin-in' players hit first regardless of distance to cup, then 'pin-outs'. But there have also been pin jabbing in/out awkward moments similar to an intern trying to draw blood...
In the instances that I've played, once it is out it stays out. No one is insisting it goes back in 'because it is better'. I've left it in for long putts, even for tap ins if my first is just short and there is no one to remove the flag. I'll then happily ask what the others want and act accordingly.

If people use common sense there should be no issue. If people want to dig their heels in, either way, then there may be issues but to be honest if anyone is that bothered I'd rather not play with them in future. The two groups I've played with have gone with the flow, it's partly why I play with those people.

Skip Surf

Visit site
Also of course curious whether anyone's tried 'pin-in' enough so far to deduce whether it helps or hinders, and on what type of putts. Hey, if it works, count me 'in'...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the instances that I've played, once it is out it stays out. No one is insisting it goes back in 'because it is better'. I've left it in for long putts, even for tap ins if my first is just short and there is no one to remove the flag. I'll then happily ask what the others want and act accordingly.

If people use common sense there should be no issue. If people want to dig their heels in, either way, then there may be issues but to be honest if anyone is that bothered I'd rather not play with them in future. The two groups I've played with have gone with the flow, it's partly why I play with those people.
We have done this , in for long putts out once we are around the hole.
No issues yet but greens are slow it may change in summer when they speed up.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have done this , in for long putts out once we are around the hole.
No issues yet but greens are slow it may change in summer when they speed up.
Exactly.

Once people have drawn their own conclusions, greens have got to summer speeds and people are playing in events that matter to them...they will start worrying about whether to have it removed, or returned, when it's their putt.

Right now people are going with the flow from what I've seen (and done).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Also of course curious whether anyone's tried 'pin-in' enough so far to deduce whether it helps or hinders, and on what type of putts. Hey, if it works, count me 'in'...

Every time I've played solo in the last 25 years I've always left the pin in so I've no problem keeping it in now.
Nothing scientific but I feel that flag in is easier. It will slow an overhit putt and I believe that if a putt hits the pin and stays out then it almost certainly wouldn't have dropped with the pin out.
As I say, nothing scientific but I've hit a lot of putts with pins in and out and, as far as I'm concerned, the pin stays in for me.

Wolf

Visit site
Every time I've played solo in the last 25 years I've always left the pin in so I've no problem keeping it in now.
Nothing scientific but I feel that flag in is easier. It will slow an overhit putt and I believe that if a putt hits the pin and stays out then it almost certainly wouldn't have dropped with the pin out.
As I say, nothing scientific but I've hit a lot of putts with pins in and out and, as far as I'm concerned, the pin stays in for me.
Exactly this for me always left it in playing alone practising and now I can leave it in when playing makes things easier for me as can just get on with it

D

Deleted member 15344

Played today in a fourball and we decided to see if there was any difference to the putts or the time taken to play the round

One putt was helped when the person overhit the putt and it would have finished 6-10 feet passed and instead bounced of the pin - we all felt it was a bit of con really because the player didn’t get punished for a poor putt , the player also felt a bit guilty about it and felt it was dumbing down the game,

another putt was going in nice paced but it hit the flag and bounced out - think the flag may have not have been in straight but couldn’t tell - the putt would have certainly gone in with the flag out.

All other putts went in with no issues

We also took 4 hours to play - made zero difference to the time it takes to play a round

Out of the four all of us felt it was off putting to have the flag left in all the time and next time it will be back to normal - out mainly

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funnily when we played at the weekend the 4 of us left in and didn’t think it made any difference to us putting at all... IE didn’t find it off putting

Didn’t save anytime tho still a 4 hour round

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played today in a fourball and we decided to see if there was any difference to the putts or the time taken to play the round

One putt was helped when the person overhit the putt and it would have finished 6-10 feet passed and instead bounced of the pin - we all felt it was a bit of con really because the player didn’t get punished for a poor putt , the player also felt a bit guilty about it and felt it was dumbing down the game,

another putt was going in nice paced but it hit the flag and bounced out - think the flag may have not have been in straight but couldn’t tell - the putt would have certainly gone in with the flag out.

All other putts went in with no issues

We also took 4 hours to play - made zero difference to the time it takes to play a round

Out of the four all of us felt it was off putting to have the flag left in all the time and next time it will be back to normal - out mainly
were you behind another group ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I strangely feel that it's easier to aim with a flag in. I doubt this is the correct terminology but its Like its easier to triangulate the putt.

Visit site
Played in a 4 ball today and all players said their preference with the flag at the start. Flag out. Some were even tendered 😵 shock horror to the anti tending-ness clan.
A pp said it was great to hear the sound of the ball and rolling around in the cup, compared to the previous day of the ball rattling against the flag then sliding down.

We went round in just under 4hrs and before the anti pin out start spouting we were held up on 3-4 holes, but we weren’t even concearned by that.

Wolf

Visit site
Flag in isn't the cure all for slow play.. Yes it's a little quicker on greens if done sensibly.

But it is not going to make an overall round quicker that's something that will only happen of a culmination of things comes together like playing ready golf, walking at sensible pace between shots, not standing arund greens marking cards and so many more things than just the flag. Speed of play at moment is getting lost in translation of flag gate because its the biggest change to current rules but it isn't the cure for slow play that does now and always will remain in the hands of the people playing the game at a decent pace

D

Deleted member 15344

Probably leaves his trolley in the wrong place too and stands marking his card on the green while others are waiting to play!

Let’s not start being cantankerous Craw - our courses timings are for four hours for a fourball and it’s what we go around in regularly and have been playing ready golf for a good number of years now and certainly know where to park my trolley or when to mark my card. No need to start being a doorknob

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Let’s not start being cantankerous Craw - our courses timings are for four hours for a fourball and it’s what we go around in regularly and have been playing ready golf for a good number of years now and certainly know where to park my trolley or when to mark my card. No need to start being a doorknob

Sorry didn't realise you were American.

Hold on this may help you - 😉