Potential 5 weeks of pro golf in UK

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Articles seem to be suggesting European Tour may have a run of 5 events in the U.K. as a way of restarting post-Covid with then maybe similar in Portugal.

Seems to be designed around logistics e.g. need for hotels so reported that it would be Close House, Forest of Arden, Celtic Manor x 2 and Hanbury Manor in July and August.

Could be nice to be able to view (subject to crowds being allowed) golf this year.

Wonder though with the US tour and majors being compacted whether they need to mix up the style of events and potentially make at least one mixed to keep numbers up.

D

Deleted member 1147

Articles seem to be suggesting European Tour may have a run of 5 events in the U.K. as a way of restarting post-Covid with then maybe similar in Portugal.

Seems to be designed around logistics e.g. need for hotels so reported that it would be Close House, Forest of Arden, Celtic Manor x 2 and Hanbury Manor in July and August.

Could be nice to be able to view (subject to crowds being allowed) golf this year.

Wonder though with the US tour and majors being compacted whether they need to mix up the style of events and potentially make at least one mixed to keep numbers up.

Why would a mixed event be key to keeping up numbers?

Personally if one was mixed I’d probably not watch that week!

PaulS

Visit site
Why would a mixed event be key to keeping up numbers?

Personally if one was mixed I’d probably not watch that week!

The Solheim Cup is ok in small does but it just seems to be missing something compared to Ryder Cup and you can see they are trying to force it but it was a decent watch for the last half hour last year.

The Women’s British Open is ok but again it just lacking the X factor when watching it. And mixed golf ?

The Ladies European Tour is really struggling at the moment and the LPGA has rescued them a little bit it’s on the edge - there just doesn’t seem to be the commercial interest in it in Europe to help them gain the sponsorship needed to boost the prize funds. All over social media it seems people like Blair O Niel and Paige Spiranac get most of the headlines for Ladies golf and it’s not because of their sporting ability .

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Why would you not watch mixed golf ? The most exciting tournament I watched on tv last year was The Solheim Cup, so I wouldn’t have any issue watching mixed golf on tv.

Whilst the Solheim Cup was a great watch last year, absolutely fantastic, but it wasn't fantastic because it was mixed or because it was women; it was fantastic because it was match play, which in my opinion is the most interesting form of golf to watch.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Whilst the Solheim Cup was a great watch last year, absolutely fantastic, but it wasn't fantastic because it was mixed or because it was women; it was fantastic because it was match play, which in my opinion is the most interesting form of golf to watch.

He's not wrong, the big lad ??

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I enjoyed the Solheim Cup, because it was golf and it was exciting golf to watch regardless of the sexes who were or weren’t playing.

Have been lucky to go and watch a couple of Women’s British Opens at Woburn. Really enjoyed attending those, and learned lots from watching the best women pros, especially watching their short games at close hand.

Sorry to the original poster, I didn’t mean to turn this into a men’s golf vs women’s golf debate. :)

Back on subject, it’s good to have 5 consecutive European Tour events in the UK. But the weekly purses are much lower than normal, so it will be interesting to see what sort of quality fields they get.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It would be great to see pro golf back but is there any news on whether the top players on the ET are planning to play? I am not a fan of the mixed events and they always feel a trifle forced but I agree that if/when golf starts gain the LET needs some urgent cash and quickly to survive. It has been a good tour for our better players to get their golfing careers started before going over to the LPGA to complete their education

PaulS

Visit site
With travel restrictions in place then the European based players will prob play and not travel to the US but I don’t expect any of the US based players to come over.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Plenty of European based golfers I'd happily watch. I enjoy the mix of players on the European tour. It is a shame if there will be no spectators, particularly as The British Masters is at Close House and I would have gone to it, but it is understandable.

Frankly it would be great to have any golf happening.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty of European based golfers I'd happily watch. I enjoy the mix of players on the European tour. It is a shame if there will be no spectators, particularly as The British Masters is at Close House and I would have gone to it, but it is understandable.

Frankly it would be great to have any golf happening.
I agree there are loads that are worth watching but it is sad if the likes of the British Masters don't have some of the top players supporting it. Of course it is a different time at the moment and people are reluctant to travel and want to keep safe but as golf in general has started again and we have managed and kept social distancing etc, lets hope we see as many good players as we can. It does send a positive message that maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I read that the uspga will want non US based players to quarantine for 14 days if they are not already there so there is no way any will head back for a lower purse tournament and then miss out on tournaments back in the US. Equally, I wander how the UK quarantine rule will impact take up?

It would be a shame but I think we are used to the split tours now. I like following some of the less famous European players so I'm okay with it.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Several of the UK based players (Westwood and Fleetwood spring to mind) have stated they won’t be going over the the US because of the 14 days quarantine either side, so I’m sure they’ll be teeing it up in these 5 tournaments if they happen

D

Deleted member 18588

I appreciate that the logistics of partial lockdown dictates but the big disappointment for me is the courses being lined up.

All essentially resort courses and not liable to present professional tournament golf at its best.

Still I suppose any live golf is better than none.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I appreciate that the logistics of partial lockdown dictates but the big disappointment for me is the courses being lined up.

All essentially resort courses and not liable to present professional tournament golf at its best.

I wonder if it is more to do with logistics and ease of set up and the late notification of hosting. FoA has hosted pro events historically (although I think the pros will tear it apart) and Close House has hosted English Master before. Similar with Celtic Manor (and at least it shouldn't be too wet and boggy as it can get)

D

Deleted member 18588

I wonder if it is more to do with logistics and ease of set up and the late notification of hosting. FoA has hosted pro events historically (although I think the pros will tear it apart) and Close House has hosted English Master before. Similar with Celtic Manor (and at least it shouldn't be too wet and boggy as it can get)
The Brabazon, whilst not great, could at least present a greater challenge than FoA.

Celtic Manor was playing long in 2010 Ryder Cup due to weather but was still not much of a test.

Hanbury Manor! Really?

Close House is probably the best of a poor bunch.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don’t about Hanbury, but the other three have all hosted major ET events in the past (and a Ryder Cup), so should be decent venues for the pros.