European Tour - UK Swing

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

sunshine

Visit site
Fair to say that none of these courses make the UK top 100. 2010 probably scrapes into the top 10 in Wales. Belfry probably in the top 100 in England; FoA, Close House and Hanbury definitely not.

But that's not the point. These courses are all long modern layouts in excess of 7,000 yards, built to high spec. They can be presented in tournament condition with quick greens and punishing rough, enough to test the pros. And of course they are resort courses with plenty of on-site accommodation.

I was thinking about what other options the ET considered. With quarantine regulations they need to stay in one country.

Firstly the UK: Gleneagles, St Mellion, The Vale, Slaley Hall, Turnberry, St Andrews, there are obviously more.

Then I thought about Spain and Portugal which have loads of resorts... PGA Catalunya, La Manga, El Saler, Praia del Rey, there's loads of options with hotels on site. But I suppose the heat might be a factor as it is tricky to maintain these courses in the summer.

I've got to applaud the ET for getting this schedule together and organising the logistics to make it happen. I'm sure there will be some teething problems, the fields won't be that great, but well done.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fair to say that none of these courses make the UK top 100. 2010 probably scrapes into the top 10 in Wales. Belfry probably in the top 100 in England; FoA, Close House and Hanbury definitely not.

But that's not the point. These courses are all long modern layouts in excess of 7,000 yards, built to high spec. They can be presented in tournament condition with quick greens and punishing rough, enough to test the pros. And of course they are resort courses with plenty of on-site accommodation.

I was thinking about what other options the ET considered. With quarantine regulations they need to stay in one country.

Firstly the UK: Gleneagles, St Mellion, The Vale, Slaley Hall, Turnberry, St Andrews, there are obviously more.

Then I thought about Spain and Portugal which have loads of resorts... PGA Catalunya, La Manga, El Saler, Praia del Rey, there's loads of options with hotels on site. But I suppose the heat might be a factor as it is tricky to maintain these courses in the summer.

I've got to applaud the ET for getting this schedule together and organising the logistics to make it happen. I'm sure there will be some teething problems, the fields won't be that great, but well done.
Given how brutal I've found the Nicklaus course at St Mellion that would be an interesting spectacle if they let the rough grow

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
To call The Brabazon Course ‘overrated’ is not something that I’d argue against. I don’t consider it a Top 100 UK course as all the rankings would lead you to believe.

But to call it a ‘horrible course’ is way OTT. There are a few world class holes, a handful of other very strong holes, good conditioning, a fantastic pro shop and bar, and it has history. Played off the white tees it would give anyone on this forum a huge test of their game. I can’t imagine how hard it would be off the back blocks.

i stand by my view of it. For a start, having a great pro shop means nothing in the rating of the course. Hardness is not a very well correlated criterion either. A great course can be very hard (Royal County Down) or a sporty little knock (Swinley Forest) and either can be great.

I think most of the holes at the Brabazon are forgettable slogs. The memorable holes, 9, 10, 17 and 18 are not memorable for their quality. 10 is a terrible hole, all the Seve history notwithstanding.

sunshine

Visit site
i stand by my view of it. For a start, having a great pro shop means nothing in the rating of the course. Hardness is not a very well correlated criterion either. A great course can be very hard (Royal County Down) or a sporty little knock (Swinley Forest) and either can be great.

I think most of the holes at the Brabazon are forgettable slogs. The memorable holes, 9, 10, 17 and 18 are not memorable for their quality. 10 is a terrible hole, all the Seve history notwithstanding.

Why is 10 a terrible hole?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why is 10 a terrible hole?

It offers two very different plays, a wood right at it or a 7 iron off the tee. Anytime you see Tour players hitting a 7 iron off a par-4 tee, you are looking at a bad golf hole. It might be a decent 6 iron par-3 with the tee a good bit closer and to the left.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I’m looking forward to it.

It’ll be different them looking for their own balls, and no stands etc to hit at when in trouble.
I wonder how many balls they’ll lose?

A point I've always pondered. 300 yd drives off piste with no spectators to say where the balls gone?