European Tour - UK Swing

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

sunshine

Visit site
will have to get some government buy in regarding the way the top guys are taxed (and potential exemptions) and find some long term sponsors, sadly think this may be a one off :(

Agree on the tax front, it's ok for the journeymen but they will struggle to attract the big names.

Also fair to say golf struggles to attract sponsors in the UK. It's just not fashionable / cool / diverse enough.

There was another thread about this UK swing only a few days ago. Don't know why we have a duplicate thread.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It’ll be great to see Tour golf back at The Forest of Arden, a beautiful track I’ve been lucky enough to play several times.

Managed 2nd there in the GM Centenary Final. Hit the long par 3 15th and then three putted from about 40 feet. I was at the front the flag was at the back so was always a possibility but lost on countback so annoying.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably the best they can do in the circumstances, although some of those courses are not in the upper echelons of quality or interest. I have a particular loathing for The Belfry, which I think is a horrible course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Probably the best they can do in the circumstances, although some of those courses are not in the upper echelons of quality or interest. I have a particular loathing for The Belfry, which I think is a horrible course.
I think the Belfy had its day with the RC and has never done enough to move with the times. Like the FoA I thonk even middle of the pack ET pros will find it a birdie fest as a viewing spectacle it won't be great. Driver/3 wood and short iron in and all the par 5's will be gobbled up more than usual. It is great what the ET are doing and given the circumstances and time to pull this together the courses are as good as they could have got. Of all the courses on view Close House will be the best

D

Deleted member 1147

Does anyone have Keith Pelley’s
Phone number?
I must tell him not to host any of the
new tournaments, at the proposed sites.
Apparently they aren’t good enough for the knobs on the Golf Monthly forum, who’d rather have no competitive golf than that proposed?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the Belfy had its day with the RC and has never done enough to move with the times. Like the FoA I thonk even middle of the pack ET pros will find it a birdie fest as a viewing spectacle it won't be great. Driver/3 wood and short iron in and all the par 5's will be gobbled up more than usual. It is great what the ET are doing and given the circumstances and time to pull this together the courses are as good as they could have got. Of all the courses on view Close House will be the best

When did you last play The Belfry.......if at all.....

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
When did you last play The Belfry.......if at all.....
I think it may struggle to keep the score low u less they trick the greens up a little as there are a lot of holes that won't be abke to be lenghtened.

That said, I do think the Brabazon does seem to be a popular one for the critics.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it may struggle to keep the score low u less they trick the greens up a little as there are a lot of holes that won't be abke to be lenghtened.

That said, I do think the Brabazon does seem to be a popular one for the critics.
I played there last year, on a freebie. Expected to hate it, ended up really liking it. It was immaculate

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It’s been in great condition every time I’ve played it.
there are some holes that get a little repetitive but there are more than enough holes that’ll be interesting imo

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To call The Brabazon Course ‘overrated’ is not something that I’d argue against. I don’t consider it a Top 100 UK course as all the rankings would lead you to believe.

But to call it a ‘horrible course’ is way OTT. There are a few world class holes, a handful of other very strong holes, good conditioning, a fantastic pro shop and bar, and it has history. Played off the white tees it would give anyone on this forum a huge test of their game. I can’t imagine how hard it would be off the back blocks.

D

Deleted member 1147

To call The Brabazon Course ‘overrated’ is not something that I’d argue against. I don’t consider it a Top 100 UK course as all the rankings would lead you to believe.

But to call it a ‘horrible course’ is way OTT. There are a few world class holes, a handful of other very strong holes, good conditioning, a fantastic pro shop and bar, and it has history. Played off the white tees it would give anyone on this forum a huge test of their game. I can’t imagine how hard it would be off the back blocks.
I played off 6 when I tried; it was very long and tough.
Miss a fairway and approach shots become almost impossible, as you either can’t reach, or have zero control and run off the back.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

why would you say that. I played once off near the backs - Liverbirdie and I beating Drive 4 Show and Louise, but we are not talking about that :) - I am sure it was 7350 or more. The course is not short or easy. Why would they be ripping up these 550 yard par 5s more than other courses they play on? Have you played it?

D

Deleted member 1147

why would you say that. I played once off near the backs - Liverbirdie and I beating Drive 4 Show and Louise, but we are not talking about that :) - I am sure it was 7350 or more. The course is not short or easy. Why would they be ripping up these 550 yard par 5s more than other courses they play on? Have you played it?
550 on the Brabazon must play shorter than 550 elsewhere...altitude, air temp perhaps?!?

D

Deleted member 15344

Having played all four courses recently here is my take

Hanbury Manor - two distinct 9 holes , you can see it can extended and the rough can be very brutal just off the fairway , I liked the course

Forest of Arden - the holes on the hotel side are okish again grow the rough , the ones through the gate into the deer area are good and again can be extended to tough holes

Belfry - some good holes and some ok holes , condition wise it’s always excellent - they will grow the rough thick as well

Celtic Manor- the same as the Belfry

The Pros aren’t going to “rip” the courses apart - it will be tough but no doubt some will do well

I’m looking forward to watching the comps