Potential 5 weeks of pro golf in UK

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Brabazon, whilst not great, could at least present a greater challenge than FoA.

Celtic Manor was playing long in 2010 Ryder Cup due to weather but was still not much of a test.

Hanbury Manor! Really?

Close House is probably the best of a poor bunch.

so theyre trying to find a handful of self contained venues, that are able to and want to host a tournament at short notice, with no fans and limited chance to make money

im guessing they didnt have their pick and are using whats available to them (hence twice at Celtic Manor)

all the venues have hosted tour events at some stage in the past and are clearly capable of offering what the tour require, seems a bit churlish to criticise choice of venues to me

D

Deleted member 18588

so theyre trying to find a handful of self contained venues, that are able to and want to host a tournament at short notice, with no fans and limited chance to make money

im guessing they didnt have their pick and are using whats available to them (hence twice at Celtic Manor)

all the venues have hosted tour events at some stage in the past and are clearly capable of offering what the tour require, seems a bit churlish to criticise choice of venues to me
I have already acknowledged the difficulties faced in choosing venues in difficult times.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that FoA and Celtic Manor aren't likely to present much of a challenge.

Just look at the scores when they last did host tournaments.

And as for Hanbury Manor , that clearly isn't a tour quality venue.

But hey ho, the ET has to do what it can.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have already acknowledged the difficulties faced in choosing venues in difficult times.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that FoA and Celtic Manor aren't likely to present much of a challenge.

acknowledged it yet still criticised them and continue to do so, maybe just be pleased were going to get some live golf in this country

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Where exactly do you expect them to be able to get on at the moment other than a hotel course......?!

D

Deleted member 18588

acknowledged it yet still criticised them and continue to do so, maybe just be pleased were going to get some live golf in this country

Sorry I didn't realise that this was an issue beyond criticism.

In any event if you took the time to read my first post you will see that I quite clearly said that some was better than none and I merely expressed disappointment over the choice of (necessary) venues.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haha. Agreed. Its just up the road from me though, so not complaining.
Also, if the wind's in the wrong direction, the airs from the nearby landfill site are pretty noxious...
According to a top100 courses site, its the 10th best course in Hertfordshire....make of that what you will.

D

Deleted member 18588

One further problem that the Tour will presumably faced with is the question of non-UK based players.

Will they not be required to quarantine for 14 days?

If so that would surely mean them having to stay here throughout, even whilst not playing as not many would normally play five weeks on the bounce.

And if they returned home during the period they would have to quarantine again on coming back here.

D

Deleted member 1147

Perhaps after the lockdown any top members clubs will be too busy, and the members unwilling, to let the course be taken away for a week.
So hotel type courses are the only ones available.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One further problem that the Tour will presumably faced with is the question of non-UK based players.

Will they not be required to quarantine for 14 days?

If so that would surely mean them having to stay here throughout, even whilst not playing as not many would normally play five weeks on the bounce.

And if they returned home during the period they would have to quarantine again on coming back here.

Why do you think they are all back to back?!

D

Deleted member 18588

Why do you think they are all back to back?!
True but will many players be prepared to commit to up to seven weeks over here?

I don't know.

In particular those players with membership of both the ET & PGA tours could be faced with particular problems.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
True but will many players be prepared to commit to up to seven weeks over here?

I don't know.

In particular those players with membership of both the ET & PGA tours could be faced with particular problems.

7 weeks? It’s only 5 events....more like 4.5 weeks max. Rory doesn’t get out of bed for £1m prize funds and the others will have to drive one way or tother. Great call by the ET!

D

Deleted member 18588

7 weeks? It’s only 5 events....more like 4.5 weeks max. Rory doesn’t get out of bed for £1m prize funds and the others will have to drive one way or tother. Great call by the ET!
5 events = 5 weeks + 2 weeks quarantine = 7 weeks.

And Rory isn't the only one with dual eligibility.

I hope it works but there are difficulties to overcome.

sunshine

Visit site
A run of events in the uk won't appeal to the big names, HMRC stance on taxation of sports earnings is a huge deterrent.

sunshine

Visit site
Is that different the thinking that it might be better to earning no money currently (well maybe 2.5K this month) means you pay no tax?!

No because the big names earn huge amounts of money from sponsorship. Not just equipment but watches, clothing etc. UK government demands a big chunk of that.

To get major events here, eg champions league final, the government actually has to sign off legislation granting special tax exemption for the event. UEFA has been successful in demanding this. Golf hasn’t had much success.