Posted score card but not signed.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wonder why people post in a Rules of Golf forum to suggest people should ignore the rules. Very odd.
Because they have opinions and these may disagree with 'The Rules'.

Have you ever erred from a rule in your life or disagreed with them.
They are there for the guidance of wise men and the strict following of fools.

D

Deleted member 29109

It’s also another reason for digital score cards. Can’t get DQd for forgetting to sign a bit of paper if there is no bit of paper.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps not but most will. Even if not all can there is no reason to prevent those who want to use digital from using it.
I agree with what you say about those who can use digital, but there has to be allowance for everyone to properly submit a score. One of my regular playing partners does his by phone and not at the terminal, and just pops his card in the box

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Your signature is required for certification of the hole scores having checked them; obviously this cannot be done before any scores have been recorded.

My understanding is that signing the card beforehand is not against the rules. Surely if I sign the card on the first tee and continue to record scores as they happen and check that they are correct before handing it over then I've acted perfectly correctly

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that signing the card beforehand is not against the rules. Surely if I sign the card on the first tee and continue to record scores as they happen and check that they are correct before handing it over then I've acted perfectly correctly
Only on days with a 'Y' in them.

wjemather

Visit site
Signing your card beforehand is not against the rules, but you are not certifying the hole scores "when the round has ended" (you have only checked them) as required by the rules.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Signing your card beforehand is not against the rules, but you are not certifying the hole scores (having checked them) "when the round has ended" as required by the rules.

When the round ends I would normally ask my player to confirm the score for each hole before handing back the pre signed, and added up card. How do you see it as a breach ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Checking and certifying are not the same thing.

I get that, I just dont see how my signing the card beforehand stops me from checking and certifying the scores in accordance with the rules. If I check and certify at the end of the round , whether or not I have pre signed the card i have still carried out my duty and pre signing the card is not a rule breaker?