Posted score card but not signed.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
All rules, like accidentally exceeding the speed limit, are 'technicalities'.

And yet, golfers expect traffic police to use their discretion and not penalise speeders who have broken the law slightly but insist on disqualifying golfers and showing no discretion for accidental minor infringements of the rules of a game.

Jason.H

Visit site
Get used to checking the card then check it again before it goes in the box. I got dq,d once this year but never chased up to see why as it was a poor card. Had it been a winning score I’d of been gutted.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
And yet, golfers expect traffic police to use their discretion and not penalise speeders who have broken the law slightly but insist on disqualifying golfers and showing no discretion for accidental minor infringements of the rules of a game.
Just how much discretion should be given when a rule is only broken slightly or accidentally? Who decides when a player moves sand in the bunker how is it decided it was too much? Signing a card is pretty fundamental, it can't be slightly signed.
Play a child's board game. You need the throw a six with the dice to finish and win. You throw a 5 but move 6 and claim the win on the grounds you accidentally got a 5 but it was an accident as you meant to throw a six. It was an accidental slight error.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So the committee member can't use his/her discretion in applying the rules of a game but would expect the police to use theirs if they were doing 45mph in a 40 zone or had a slightly bald tyre.
Not signing a card could get you 0.1 back, no discretion allowed, but speeding can kill but discretion is expected.

And for those who want to explain the rules to me, do yourself a favour, please don't. It's not the rules I'm objecting to, it's the strict application of them by people who seem to take great delight and pleasure in the power they have to DQ at the drop of a hat and yet they want/expect real law makers to be lenient when they break the law which could result in death.

And yes I know, not all committee members are power mad, but in over 50 years playing golf, I've met many.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is the point of a rule if it is not followed and enforced?
On the first hole a player absent-mindedly rotates his ball on the green without marking it. The ref uses his discretion, ruling this had no effect on the putt so was a only a slight breach. The ref does not penalise the player.
Later the player wins the competition by one stroke.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
To try and avoid signing problems I always sign my scorecard before giving it to my marker, and sign as the marker when a player hands his to me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To try and avoid signing problems I always sign my scorecard before giving it to my marker, and sign as the marker when a player hands his to me.
What would you do if the player marked a score that you didn't agree with? Would you just put a line through your signature?

It is not something that has ever happened to me but it is always a possibility.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What would you do if the player marked a score that you didn't agree with? Would you just put a line through your signature?

It is not something that has ever happened to me but it is always a possibility.

I'd usually check that they did agree with my recording before handing the card over

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd usually check that they did agree with my recording before handing the card over
And if they pin you to the ground, sit on your chest and pour warm coke onto your head until you hand it over.......would you still? :LOL:

As I say, it is a theoretical situation, one I hope I will never come across.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What is the point of a rule if it is not followed and enforced?
On the first hole a player absent-mindedly rotates his ball on the green without marking it. The ref uses his discretion, ruling this had no effect on the putt so was a only a slight breach. The ref does not penalise the player.
Later the player wins the competition by one stroke.

If it had no effect on the putt then it had no effect on the result. The player wins by one.
No one dies

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it had no effect on the putt then it had no effect on the result. The player wins by one.
No one dies
No, of course not, but some may suffer if they are in contention and have a similar situation but self-penalize, as they should, following the rules & are consequently denied the result because a fellow competitor didn't. Instead cheated!!
Tough to condone is that...... I'd say.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Breaking a rule that affects the score is rather different to forgetting to sign a card in my humble opinion.

Let's imagine a card is handed in to a Comp organiser at the end of a round and a minute later the player asks if he can sign his card as he's he had forgotten. OK the Organiser may be in his rights to disqualify the player but it would be rather petty IMO. What harm would be done if he was allowed to sign the card, surely it's the playing of the game and scoring the result that's important.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No, of course not, but some may suffer if they are in contention and have a similar situation but self-penalize, as they should, following the rules & are consequently denied the result because a fellow competitor didn't. Instead cheated!!
Tough to condone is that...... I'd say.

In what way will they suffer?
There's a lot more suffering going on in this world than getting 0.1 back .

And I think there's a difference between cheating on the course and an admin error.
Just ask Mark Roe and Jesper Parnevik

Maybe some dq's could be reduced to a 1 or 2 shot penalty.

I'm not saying that I have all the answers, I just don't understand why the rules of a game and it is just a game, a hobby, have to be applied so stringently and an accidental admin error punished so harshly.... and yet the laws of the land/road can be subject to the police discretion which could result in a much more serious outcome than losing your monthly s/ford.
Anyway, I'm just repeating myself now so I'll stop.