Post apocalyptic book recommendations

bighairydel

Visit site
Trying to read more and love a bit of end of the world stuff. Never read much of this style before but love movies of this theme.
Looking for some recommendations as I’ve no idea about what’s good or bad.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On the Beach by Nevil Shute. From the guff on the back cover...

Following the devastation of a nuclear world war, Europe, America and most of the northern hemisphere is annihilated. Only a few remote pockets of the earth remain habitable, and the area around Melbourne is one of these.

It's a great story - and the film of the book is unforgettable (also according to the book guff) - starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins. Highly recommended both.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

McCarthy has written two of my "favourite books ever" and this is one of them. No spoilers, it's a masterpiece, won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and is often near the top of best books ever written listicles. Has been adapted to a film but that was an impossible undertaking and although good was a much tamer and pale version of the story.

bighairydel

Visit site
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

McCarthy has written two of my "favourite books ever" and this is one of them. No spoilers, it's a masterpiece, won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and is often near the top of best books ever written listicles. Has been adapted to a film but that was an impossible undertaking and although good was a much tamer and pale version of the story.
I’ve seen the film and really enjoyed it, sometimes struggle reading after watching as my mind already has the pictures of the characters etc. Worthwhile reading though?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve seen the film and really enjoyed it, sometimes struggle reading after watching as my mind already has the pictures of the characters etc. Worthwhile reading though?

I would say it's worth a read even if you have a mental image of it. I still read the book every couple of years, just to enjoy how well its written even though I know all the outcomes and imagery in it. If you have kids, it's an incredibly powerful and emotional read.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Lzr-1143 was enjoyable. Available on Amazon and I think infection is the first one.
Can second the Frank Tyall surviving series mentioned above although I have up after six or seven of them.
If you want a left-field option, the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan is epic and they're making a TV series about it. It's more fantasy but post apocalyptic if that makes sense. Be warned though it took me 20 years to finish it.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
The World Without Us - Alan Weisman
If you want something a bit different as this is effectively non fiction, albeit well founded theories of what might happen if humans suddenly disappeared. its a fascinating read describing how long buildings would last, what might happen to flora and fauna etc. Really interesting stuff showing the extent of mans control of the environment and why there could be disasters without us here to stop fires, power stations overheating, cities flooding etc etc.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
On the Beach by Nevil Shute. From the guff on the back cover...

Following the devastation of a nuclear world war, Europe, America and most of the northern hemisphere is annihilated. Only a few remote pockets of the earth remain habitable, and the area around Melbourne is one of these.

Agreed, I found a copy of that on holiday once, a stark and chilling read.