Playing without a glove...

gazrow

Club Champion
Visit site
Just out of interest, does anybody play without a glove?

I was just checking my grip setup whilst the kids eat lunch and it got me wondering about why I wear a glove. I just blindly wear one because it’s the norm.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I once wondered why I was wearing a glove so I didn’t and have never worn one since. (10 years). I do wear macwets when it rains though.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm similar and feel odd playing any shot (other than putting) without a glove on.

I guess I'm so used to it now I'd find it difficult to do away with. I'd imagine there is a performance advantage, but probably marginal unless you generate a fair amount of speed, especially with modern grips. Certainly no disadvantage, other than being out a few quid every few months.

D

Deleted member 18588

Never seemed to bother Fred Couples, make of that what you will.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear one, similar to the OP it's when you start playing golf you just get one and put it on because that's what people do. It's probably saved me a few blisters if nothing else. I take it off for putting, and I've also this year started taking it off for short chips around the green, because I want them to have the same sort of feel as putting in my mind where I'm really trying to get it close (and you obviously don't need a glove when it's only a really short swing like that).

Maybe I don't need a glove for full shots, but to stop wearing one would probably require an adjustment period, and wearing one doesn't cause me any problems so I'll probably carry on wearing it!

With 99.9% of pros wearing a glove there must be some merit in it?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 gloves if it's cold or wet. No glove otherwise. There really isn't any point in one glove. Either you need gloves for extra grip on both hands, or you don't.

Some on here quite openly tell about putting the glove on is part of their pre-shot routine ???????? Talk about reasons for slow play. (no, second thoughts - please don't)

And how do the custom fitting devotees deal with the number of tape layers required under the left and right hand parts of the grip? A glove must be the equivalent of at least 2 or 3 layers of tape.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
2 gloves if it's cold or wet. No glove otherwise. There really isn't any point in one glove. Either you need gloves for extra grip on both hands, or you don't.

Some on here quite openly tell about putting the glove on is part of their pre-shot routine ???????? Talk about reasons for slow play. (no, second thoughts - please don't)

And how do the custom fitting devotees deal with the number of tape layers required under the left and right hand parts of the grip? A glove must be the equivalent of at least 2 or 3 layers of tape.

There are a few pros who would argue with that! A firm left hand grip is essential & a glove definitely helps a lot. We used to have an Irish pro who said "the right hand just goes for a ride on the club until impact". It's definitely not as important to grip firmly with the right. In fact, I think that the right hand has to move during impact, that's why I feel anyway.

I know we shouldn't just blindly follow what the pros do but, when most of them are doing it, there's likely to be a good reason.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I once wondered why I was wearing a glove so I didn’t and have never worn one since. (10 years). I do wear macwets when it rains though.

Ditto, except I've never worn one. I'm not even sure there was such a thing as a golf glove when I started playing.

carldudley

Visit site
I learned in my second lesson why golfers wore gloves, swung club, didn't catch it right, club twisted and took a couple of layers of skin off the bottom of my left thumb.

Never been without since.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I wear one on everything apart from putting and chipping if very close to the green. If I don't, I find the skin on my hands gets shredded by the grips.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I learned in my second lesson why golfers wore gloves, swung club, didn't catch it right, club twisted and took a couple of layers of skin off the bottom of my left thumb.

Never been without since.
I wear one on everything apart from putting and chipping if very close to the green. If I don't, I find the skin on my hands gets shredded by the grips.

I've never had a problem with blisters, the hands get hardened & calloused with two hours at the range most days & three or four rounds a week. ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wear a glove on all full shots but take it off for short game shots and putting. Always have since my junior days and just feels uncomfy without it and as a result I don't feel comfortable over the shot