Playing the wrong ball.

salfordlad

Visit site
This is an old thread but just to check on a related scenario yesterday - a common one I am sure and one I know has been discussed but I can’t find the thread - so apologies for the repeat question.

I play my shot wide and it is likely going to be in the rough separating hole I’m playing and another hole. I go looking for my ball. I find a ball but it isn’t mine - though it’s same make. I ask group on the adjacent fairway if anyone is playing such a ball and one of them says that yes he is and comes to check. Turns out he is sure the ball I have found is his and similarly sure he has played my ball - which is now 175yds away. I’m not bothered about what penalty he takes - he can sort that out. I can ask him to go get my ball, or can I agree that I take his, and then I put what is now ‘my‘ ball back to where he tells me mine was - dropping in the rough or placing if on the fairway?
Steven has correctly guided on the 'place' v 'drop' issue, but there is another issue with your post that needs to be explored. You haven't yet provided definitive information that allows you to identify your ball, you've only told us this other player played one of the same make from the rough and he believes it is yours. But unless you have more facts not yet shared, you have no certainty that the ball incorrectly played is your ball. Likely you are going to need to see that ball to identify it as it could be a different ball completely played from the rough that just happens to be the same make.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Steven has correctly guided on the 'place' v 'drop' issue, but there is another issue with your post that needs to be explored. You haven't yet provided definitive information that allows you to identify your ball, you've only told us this other player played one of the same make from the rough and he believes it is yours. But unless you have more facts not yet shared, you have no certainty that the ball incorrectly played is your ball. Likely you are going to need to see that ball to identify it as it could be a different ball completely played from the rough that just happens to be the same make.
This is true.