Playing Out Of A Divot

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
I was playing in a medal at the weekend and came across a problem lie on the 8th, I'd hit a great drive that had a slight draw and finally came to rest just to the middle right of the fairway that left me a nice easy 5 wood to the green, as i approached my ball it had come to rest in a deep divot that left just above half the ball showing, my question is what's the best way to play this?
All i could do was to try and get underneath with my 9 iron but because it was buried it only advanced about 50 yards as it was a topped shot.
I ended up with a par instead of a possible birdie or even an eagle.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally the only way I know or was ever shown is to place the ball back in the stance and try and drive down and through as though you were hitting a low punch shot into the wind and make sure you have a curtailed follow through.

It should come out low and running but won't travel as far as the normal yardage for the club used. Fortunately its a shot I only have to hit once in a blue moon. It probably comes off 50% of the time properly and the rest it comes out as a low squirting runner but still goes forward

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bend your knees a tad more and make sure that you take your own divot. Should come out a treat but as Homer says, you may possibly lose yardage.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had one yesterday , it was that big i nearly fell in it, you take an extra club and play back in your stance and punch it ,it will come out slighty lower but a good shot to be able to play.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There's nothing worse than hitting a stonking drive and find you end up in a deep divot.
I did this on the first hole at Bearwood Lakes the other Sunday. Best drive of the four, straight down the middle. Could only see the top of the ball sticking up above the fairway and proceeded to fat the bloody thing about 20 yards....
Managed to get on in three and two putt so salvaged a bogey, but from where I was I really should have had the chance to set myself up for par, maybe birdie.
I only let it upset me for about 4 or 5 holes though...

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't really complain as i came in as runner up by 2 points in the comp, but could have won if the divot had been replaced by the guilty culprit.