Playing Multiple Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For sure it will make you score worse but also make you better at the same time.

I’ve got away and shot the lights out mostly due to not being complacent. Also had my rear handed to me due to not knowing the course.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you find that you have to change your chipping/putting quite a bit between the different style of courses.

I ask, as am finding that the short game is the hardest to transition between different style of courses, links is super tight & easy/light lies near the green and parkland is super lush thicker 'deeper' rough near greens, as a result needing more speed in the chip to get it to go the same distance and what with the different type of greens grass and speeds, it is playing havoc with my up and down percentage(read as distance control on chips and long putts is were I am suffering). Up and down ratios must be on average 25% from within 3-4 yards of the green edge.

As with any course on any given day its all about recognising the conditions and selecting your style of play or technique to the challenge ahead. the first thing I do is always head to the chipping green and hit some 15 yard chip/ pitches with a little bit of check on them to see how the greens are reacting. Is it checking up at all or is it a firm day and mostly running out. this sets the tone for how I tend to play my short game shots for the day.
I have changed my chipping style quite a bit these days. Opting for the running chip as much as possible. I will also get the putter on the ball if I can from around the green.
Chipping from really lush thick rough around the green can be difficult at times. Distance control can be a problem. You just have to adapt as quick as you can given the green conditions.

I find the more I play and in different conditions and situations, I have faced similar shots before therefore my shot selection gets better. Its not always perfect but I feel it gets better year on year.

Just last week I played a 9 hole course and came across a situation that I would adjust my play to suit the shot the second time around and in turn learn to spot this situation in future and adapt my style of play. I made a video at the time for my friend and for my own benefit. I will post it here to explain what I mean.
Then first time I played the shot, the wind was off the left to a raised green. I sprayed my shot out to the right and left myself in no mans land. That was just aiming and trying to fly the ball to the hole. As I walked to my ball I thought using a ground game would be a much better idea and decided to give it a go on the 2nd time around. Every day is a school day. Lol

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As with any course on any given day its all about recognising the conditions and selecting your style of play or technique to the challenge ahead. the first thing I do is always head to the chipping green and hit some 15 yard chip/ pitches with a little bit of check on them to see how the greens are reacting. Is it checking up at all or is it a firm day and mostly running out. this sets the tone for how I tend to play my short game shots for the day.
I have changed my chipping style quite a bit these days. Opting for the running chip as much as possible. I will also get the putter on the ball if I can from around the green.
Chipping from really lush thick rough around the green can be difficult at times. Distance control can be a problem. You just have to adapt as quick as you can given the green conditions.

I find the more I play and in different conditions and situations, I have faced similar shots before therefore my shot selection gets better. Its not always perfect but I feel it gets better year on year.

Just last week I played a 9 hole course and came across a situation that I would adjust my play to suit the shot the second time around and in turn learn to spot this situation in future and adapt my style of play. I made a video at the time for my friend and for my own benefit. I will post it here to explain what I mean.
Then first time I played the shot, the wind was off the left to a raised green. I sprayed my shot out to the right and left myself in no mans land. That was just aiming and trying to fly the ball to the hole. As I walked to my ball I thought using a ground game would be a much better idea and decided to give it a go on the 2nd time around. Every day is a school day. Lol
only problem with this is, ive yet to play anywhere the practice putting green and chipping area (members courses anyway) are usually either much quicker or slower than the main greens on courses.

my clubs illustrates this perfectly, practice putting green is a good foot faster than the main greens and thats not taking into consideration our 1st green is new and miles slower that the 2nd.

when i have guests, its the same every time they get to the first green after putting for 10 mins of the practice green which is very fast and very undulating, and leave the first putt 10 ft or more short, mind you its always good for me mind;)

D

Deleted member 25172

I find it strange that most on here seem to be playing better away from home. I'm a one course pony. I can shoot a decent score away from home, but most of the time I play like I've never been on a golf course before.

But with the above said, I do think it is making you a better player in the long term by gaining experience from other tracks than your own one.