Playing in rain

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Wondering who plays in the rain, not getting caught in a shower actually going out when its coming down heavy and playing, for us in the UK its common weather and something to get use to, I don't personally go out when its that bad but I'm thinking I might start

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I am committed to playing then I will go out. If not then I will give it a miss.

Best tip if you are going to start actively going out in the rain, apologies if this sounds patronising, is to get rain gloves. I didn't for a while, the clubs were slipping all over the place, but then bought some. Good waterproofs are an obvious one but rain gloves don't half help.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I am committed to playing then I will go out. If not then I will give it a miss.

Best tip if you are going to start actively going out in the rain, apologies if this sounds patronising, is to get rain gloves. I didn't for a while, the clubs were slipping all over the place, but then bought some. Good waterproofs are an obvious one but rain gloves don't half help.
I agree with the first part. If we've arranged to play and it's drizzling we'll still go and tee off. If it's an absolute downpour though, we'll probably ask to delay our tee time on the off chance it stops, and if it doesn't we'll sack it off. If it's torrential and we've not even left the house yet then we probably wouldn't go.

I also have a pair of Under Armour wet weather gloves. I only use the left one of the pair usually, but you don't have to worry about it getting ruined in the wet weather, plus the entire palm and fingers are kind of rubber coated so it grips better, as you say.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with the first part. If we've arranged to play and it's drizzling we'll still go and tee off. If it's an absolute downpour though, we'll probably ask to delay our tee time on the off chance it stops, and if it doesn't we'll sack it off. If it's torrential and we've not even left the house yet then we probably wouldn't go.

I also have a pair of Under Armour wet weather gloves. I only use the left one of the pair usually, but you don't have to worry about it getting ruined in the wet weather, plus the entire palm and fingers are kind of rubber coated so it grips better, as you say.

I originally bought a left hand only rain golf but found when it really chucked it down I felt my right hand slipping and I had no confidence. I ended up buying a pair shortly after. It is what suits of course.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Yup, like you I didn't bother for years but what a difference (even without going to the cost of macwets or whatever they're called) just Mizuno branded cheap ones are great at giving the confidence to use your 'dry' swing through a pretty big downpour
(actually saved a betterball score when other players fell away)

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Went out last night just as it started, thought it would be fine, it was miserable, not so keen to do it again.

D

Deleted member 21258

Started many a round with it chucking down in rain, when I only could play at a set time on a Sunday. I use to just get very wet, clubs used to fly off sometimes(nowdays own a set of wet gloves and they work, but hands get very cold over time as the glove/hand is wet). Used to find myself laughing a lot of the round as it was so bad, it is fun in a strange kind of way. Weird or what!

Nowdays if not a comp I would normally give it a miss, as can pick/chose when we play.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Absolutely I play!
I'm somewhat know for it at the Golf club I play at with certain people. I'll go out whatever the weather! I don't spend 5 days at work to miss my golf at the weekend :)!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Macwets are superb

I did have a pair of footjoy rain gloves and whilst they did provide amble grip, they also drenched my hands so that I ended up with wrinkled prune fingers.

My palms started to itch after a while also.

Macwets offer excellent grip but my hands never suffered.

I’d go as far to say that wet pair of macwets offers more grip than a standard leather glove in normal conditions.

Bargain value wise, even at 20 quid a pair.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of the guys I play with and I will not go out if it's already raining and it's forecast to continue.

I have quit a round many a time because of the rain. I play for fun and enjoyment neither of which are fulfilled by playing in the rain.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Well just back in there and as always happens in Scotland it started to bucket down just enought to soak all my equipment before I had a chance to get my umbrella up and waterproofs on then it stopped and sun came back out, think it had an effect as I played some terrible golf today, didn't notice the clubs slipping mind you but I'll get the rain gloves anyway

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Drizzle, yes. But if there is heavy rain, I will only play if I entered a comp. I hate playing in the rain. Not because I mind getting wet, but because I tend to play awful. Ball just drops out of the sky in heavy rain. All my distances are off, short game sucks as well (even more than usual), putts tend to be left woefully short ... all in all I'd rather not bother.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If it's a club match or competition and then I'll be out there. If it's a roll up, it depends on whether the forecast predicts it clearing up at some point. If not, chances are I'll head to a range and work on my game instead. If I do play I have ensured I've a couple of sets of waterproofs (been known to have played on a Saturday and going out in similar conditions on Sunday and they haven't fully dried). I have a great rain cape that sits over the bag and clubs and keeps everything nice and dry. I have rain gloves and will use these if the rain is heavy and persistent. If it's not going to be bad for long, I'll use a load of older (synthetic) gloves and rotate them every two-three holes

I have a waterproof cap which is another must for me as a glasses wearer and I keep a dry cloth in the bag to wipe the lenses if they get too wet. Finally, a positive attitude. It's the same for everyone and if you can go out and not let the conditions put you off, then I always feel I'm a shot up on most of the field. The latter is the hardest part of playing in the rain for me

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was a time when I'd play in pretty much anything but nowadays I'm far choosier so don't bother if it's too grim

I keep Macwets in the bag in case I get caught out in it and agree they're very worthwhile, even though the right hand feels alien with a glove on!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my gripes is that no glove manufacturer produces a truly water proof glove. Macwets are good for grip but the backs still let in water.

I have goretex mitts but when you keep taking them on and off the inside eventually gets wet