Playing Golf in Strong Winds?

golfsaint

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As the title says after playing Sunday in strong winds and the winds we are getting now.The stableford scores being very low , max 34 points .(I Had 30 by the way 4nr)

Do you find it too difficult / fun / challenging or other to play in those conditions??

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a great challenge that people should try and enjoy. If you want to be a good all round golfer you need to be able to play in all conditions.

I like the challenge and love playing on links courses. Doesnt mean im good at it mind :D

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ball striking and course management are in play big time and the ability to hit the ball low , so is a good short game as you will have to get up and down a lot more ..................EYG

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As big ernie says. "it sorts the men from the boys" !

I enjoy the challenge but couldn't deal with it EVERY time I played. Its nice to play this game in different conditions! I had a good game with liverbirdie last sunday at leasow. it was a 3 club wind at times. I hit 5 iron to a 135 yard par 3! sunk the birdie putt. great feeling!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play pretty much all my golf in windy conditions as im a members of a links course. We have 7 holes running right on the sea edge and living in the north of Scotland, But there are times its just too windy. Just enjoy the game.
Best performance ive seen in very windy conditions was a Golspie in an Open 5 years ago. I was drawn with a guy off +3 who shot level par, the CSS was 78 RO and i don't think anyone else broke 80. he didn't hit the ball far or that low, just got up and down every time.

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have to agree with Patrick, you have to get used to playing in the wind up here or you wouldn't get a game. Isn't as windy as some links at Lanark but it's certainly a lot stronger and exposed compared to my previous parkland course. I think it makes you better player when you can deal with those conditions

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Didn't used to like it at all and my socres went out the window but after a windy winter/spring a year or so ago I decided that I had to adapt my game so I could cope with it.

Now I relish the challenge of a windy day and can usually put a respectanle score together.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's windy and there's WINDY.....

I don't see any fun in hitting 5 irons 100 yards......or 250 going the other way......

G

guest100718

There's windy and there's WINDY.....

I don't see any fun in hitting 5 irons 100 yards......or 250 going the other way......

indeed, clobbering a 3 wood from 170 is not what I signed up for!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a fan of playing in the wind. I will if its dry but howling gales and heavy showers like today down here and I'm not playing unless its a comp and have to go out in it. Never enjoyed "the challenge"

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Having played quite a bit on Links, wind doesn't bother me too much though I prefer without!

Have played a couple of times when the wind is just ridiculous - Great Drive going 110! Not a day to remember the score, but one to remember! Elsewhere a 'best' 3-wood in one direction 115, Driver 2 holes later 400 exactly! And the difference on 2 days can be incredible too - Saturday, short with a Driver; Sunday through the back with an 8 iron! Wouldn't want it those strengths constantly, but a little breeze certainly adds to the challenge.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strong wind on its own I can cope with but combine that with heavy rain and it becomes distinctly unpleasant. For the last 3 weekends if you wanted to get out on the course you had to be prepared for those conditions. The good thing though is that if you stick it out you have a better chance of winning as there are far fewer players.

r11john

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play pretty much all my golf in windy conditions as im a members of a links course. We have 7 holes running right on the sea edge and living in the north of Scotland, But there are times its just too windy. Just enjoy the game.
Best performance ive seen in very windy conditions was a Golspie in an Open 5 years ago. I was drawn with a guy off +3 who shot level par, the CSS was 78 RO and i don't think anyone else broke 80. he didn't hit the ball far or that low, just got up and down every time.
Sounds Like lovely golf.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love it. I have never played links golf but would love to. There are not too many days a year there is not wind at AVGC and it's been very windy this year. I have had some of my best scores in the worst of it. I think I just hit the shot I need to rather than the one I want to. I feel like a different golfer in high winds.