Playing Golf in Strong Winds?

D

Deleted member 17920

I don't mind the 1 or 2 club wind as I am used to that from playing an open 9 hole course over the years, what I hate and I find it just ruins the round is the 35-60 mph winds we are having. I hit a lovely drive Sunday and the wind just took it ob and I watched the ball travel 450 yards down the road, luckily their was no cars coming down the road or I may have had a claim to deal with. Just find the wind boring after a while.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's fun and a different challenge - possible could help your game as well ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me its what makes every round different. I don't like it when it just blows you off your feet, I am 15 1/2 stone, so blowing me around takes a bit! But I learnt my game on the links, people don't realise that more distance can be had by dropping your swing speed, you reduce spin and the ball stays lower, so 3/4 5 irons are still going to travel sensible distances.
At the weekend I did not take my driver out and just used my strong 3 wood, I was reckoning that 200 yards was good into the 30mph headwind but I surprised myself with a couple of big ones. Downwind was another story, yardages were crazy long.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ive really enjoyed playing in the wind lately. Played in 30mph + winds the weekend and its like playing a different course. I seem to concentrate more and think more about club selection rather than the same clubs week in week out. I played one of my best shots ever last weekend that i would never of got the opportunity to play if it wasnt so windy.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The OGN outing to Machrihanish last Sunday was played in horrendous winds. Great fun, but certainly wouldn;t like to play in those conditions every week.

Last edited by a moderator:

EuanRoss

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's usually pretty windy at Newburgh and I've seen myself hit sand wedges 180 yds and 4 irons 120yds there but I do love it. I hit the ball with a natural low penetrating ball flight so can usually do ok in the wind.

Hack-Man-Hob

Club Champion
Visit site
front 9 (12pts) hated it..... back nine (18pts) figured it out and loved it. Punching 4 irons all the way up a par 5 / chipping a 6 iron 30 yards left over the trees from 100 yards and stiffing it. Putting was crackers but even that was fun. I'm usually a do or die golfer and I do love playing to play not to win so it was a a whole new game being so strategic and thinking alot more. All that practice hacking out low from the bushes finally came in handy. :)

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I always rub my hands together with delight as I know 90% of the field will not be able to hack it, and if I can keep myself in the 10% that can I've a super chance of sneaking the silverware. People don't seem to realise that a few over par/handicap can still be pretty good scoring.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't really mind but if I'm honest my preference is always calm conditions. Hardest part for me is recalibrating any expectations of score; for example 6-7 over your handicap might actually be a decent performance. Naturally hit the ball low so the only real issue is between the ears.

Oddly, the round I'm probably most proud of was a 6 over par at Royal Birkdale in an absolute hoolie complete with nice sideways rain. Didn't think about it much, just stood over every shot and tried to hit it vaguely forwards...

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will be praying for high winds on Saturday. Giving 15 shots in the winter knockout 1/4 final.

There is always a 1 or 2 club wind at our place and its a fun challenge when it really blows - definitely would get wearing if that was the norm though.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some of my best wins were in strong winds.
I set realistic scoring targets with a sensible game plan knowing that 75% of the field would give up.
I do find it much harder to control the ball with modern clubs/balls though. [or maybees I'm just rubbish these days]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
worst part about high winds is being 15 yards away from your playing partner and them not having a clue you have even said anything!

they just walk along blissfully unaware! :rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As the title says after playing Sunday in strong winds and the winds we are getting now.The stableford scores being very low , max 34 points .(I Had 30 by the way 4nr)

Do you find it too difficult / fun / challenging or other to play in those conditions??

Great fun. Against the wind - close the club face down- hands well ahead for me - punch under the wind with nice draw. With wind - just contain yourself - use the wind intelligently - I often play a fade with the wind.

My best knock last year was in strong wind. Was 8 under CSS (6-under par) and won monthly medal by 4 shots.

Last edited:

EuanRoss

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd say two of the rounds of golf tht I'm not proud of have come in woeful conditions. Shot 78-8-70 at Newburgh last year (par72) in dreadful weather. And shot 78-8-70 (par69) at Strathlene in the first round of their 4-day-open 3 years ago. Probably some of the worst weather I've ever played in. Was the 8th best scratch score in a field of about 150.