Play with irons only?

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
Played two medals this season - scores of 99 and 101 posted. The 101 contained 6 gross pars, and 3 holes where I shot 5 over par :)

Putting has been relatively good. Problems are stemming from the tee it seems, where 3 off the tee is a regular occurrence (5 off the tee on one occasion). "ditch the driver" i hear you say.....i would support that, apart from the fact I was bombing them with laser like accuracy on the range before hand. But the final 9 holes of Saturdays medal I did play solely with irons off the tee. Yes I suffered distance, and couldn't reach some Par 4s in two. But I didn't lose any more balls (apart from the two I hit into a lake on a Par 3, but that was mother nature's fault I promise - she is a windy mare!)

Does anyone regularly ditch the driver and play 5-wood/hybrid/irons off the tee? If so, do you just accept the fact that you lose distance, but console yourself in the knowledge that you will probably not lose 7 balls during the round?!

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do it in practice rounds and it helps you get that good striking feeling. The trick is to swing normal and not try and smash your 3 iron to get the extra distance. I dont do it in medal rounds though as the driver is the most accurate club at the moment in my bag :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1147

No, the only time I ever drop down from the driver is when I will run out of fairway if I use it.
Personally I find it the easiest club to use.
But if, mid-round, you are really struggling then why not change club.
All that matters is the final score, or, how much you enjoyed the game.
If you are forever losing balls, playing from the trees or whatever else you probably won't enjoy it as much. So I would agree that you should do something about it.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I often find that when I try to smash a ball it actually doesn't go as far and is much less accurate than when I'm smooth and a bit slower.

I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that smooth, short and straight is much better than smashing it hard into the rough / trees / OOB.

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Biggest club I have in my bag is a Cleveland HiBore 2i Hybrid. I can hit it 235 yards and am pretty consistent with it.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I spent years playing nothing but a 3-iron off the tee as I didn't have a driver but once I started playing comps, especially in the winter, I just wasn't getting the distance.

I still do it now when I'm practicing so I get a feel for hitting longer irons into greens.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I think its always a good thing to do, it gives you a different look at the way you play and also makes you hit different clubs into the greens whilst practising etc. Whether its a good thing to do while playing in a comp would depend on how well you hit them, how long your course is and how much trouble your woods put you in.

A really nice 3 iron down the middle of an average par 4 is a smart play sometimes, a misshit 3 iron into the rough on a long par is never a good play.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
A typical round would see me using the driver 9 times , 3-wood 3 times and 3 iron twice (discounting the par 3's obviously). Theres no need to be thrashing the big stick on a lot of par 4/5's. Too many people think they've got to get it as close to the green as possible off the tee.

I use a 3 iron these days regularly on a par 5. So what , I position my second to give me a lovely wedge into the green and take it from there. If I went for it with the driver off the tee all the trouble is smack on my driving distance and its just not worth the risk. You play what you see in front of you within your own skill levels

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone regularly ditch the driver and play 5-wood/hybrid/irons off the tee? If so, do you just accept the fact that you lose distance, but console yourself in the knowledge that you will probably not lose 7 balls during the round?!

No, but you've got to do what you've go to do. Just take any "wood" club you feel most confident with and sort it out.

If things are this bad, practice with just this one club at the driving range the day before (in between your normal iron routine) and find some confidence.

Good luck. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd swap and use my 3 wood if it was going that badly off the tee. There are 12 par 4's and 5's on my course and I'd only use my 3 wood on two or three normally. On some of the holes there is a carry which my 3 wood won't be guaranteed to make. I did use the 3 wood a lot more at Sand Martins on Friday and did keep the ball in play so there is some method in the madness.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Although my driver can give me good distance, it's a little wild. So I tend to use the 3 wood for most of the time. Sometimes even the 5 wood if it's going that badly. However I've recently got an MP600 driver with a slightly stiffer shaft. It only arrived today, but it feels good in the net!

Sadly the new course doesn't really suit short tee shots. Hence the different driver.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If the driver is going pear shaped I get the 3 wood or the 19* hybrid out. On a long par 4 I'd rather hit a hybrid then long iron than risk the driver and get into trouble. Just remember a 400yard par 4 is reachable with 3 iron then 5 iron to the green with no great trouble. As is a 350yard par 4 with a steady 3iron then a 7 iron to the green. Play within yourself and hit comfortable irons than a wayward risky driver when it's not a necessity. Works for me when the hole allows which is generally the majority of the par 4's and 5's.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing irons off the tee can be a great option. There's a couple of holes at my course where I'm learning that its better to hit a full shot from further back than a pitch after a drive because it's harder to stop a pitch than a full shot.

The problem comes when the wind blows and you're playing a hole into the wind. It can make it impossible to get there in regulation.

But if you're spraying it all over the place with the driver, then go for it. I'd be tempted to try a 2/3 hybrid and see how you go. A bit more forgiving than a 3 iron.

Be interesting to see how you get on! Good luck.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Last year I started a Medal awfully. the driver was all over the place. After hitting 3 different directions in 3 holes I left it in the bag and used my 4 wood. Played really well from there on and ended up 2nd in the comp.
As Dave says - do what you gotta do.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Try it a few times in bounce games and see how it goes. Sometimes during winter i just take irons, depends how long your course is really. My home course has a few shortish par 4s so its no loss not to use the driver.
Try playing with just a 6 iron one day.