Plastic or wooden tees, caring or couldnt care less.

confuciussaid

Medal Winner
Banned
www.going4golf.co.uk
if i use plastic tee's i would use one a round and take it home with me whereas if i use wooden ones i can use one a hole as they continually snap, leaving the bottom end still in the grounjd.

which is more eco friendly? leaving nothing on the course or leaving 18 halves of wooden tee in the course?

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in the couldnt care less camp on this one. I use wooden tees for drives and odd bits of broken ones for irons or f/w woods and even have those little red plastic ones for hitting off mats in winter. I really dont think that what tee you use makes one bit of difference to the environment or the greenkeepers equipment.

I do like the sound of having a little "tee" bin on each tee though

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to say I do like the sound of Herbie's earlier reply on this subject. Compressed paper tees sound to me like a really good idea easily degradable and I think easy to make from recycled sources and after a bit of time they should just disappear leaving no trace.After all it's not rocket science, tees are there to suspend a ball for a second or two while we whack the heck out of it.Someone should look into this. :)

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to say I do like the sound of Herbie's earlier reply on this subject. Compressed paper tees sound to me like a really good idea easily degradable and I think easy to make from recycled sources and after a bit of time they should just disappear leaving no trace.After all it's not rocket science, tees are there to suspend a ball for a second or two while we whack the heck out of it.Someone should look into this. :)

I am bound to say your reply is a good one, but I think you are right, making anything from plastic has an eco effect no matter how small the tee may be, there are alternatives.
If plastic tees are so reuseable, why do they make so many, why do I find so many, why do golfers have so many and why are so many thrown in bins???? :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there an argument to say, that plastic tees break less often, and therefore are more reuseable?

Yes! Exactly.

I don't break them and don't lose them. Ergo....they are not costly to the environment.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ok, here we go...

Wooden tees, need forests to grow the wood, commercially managed, good for wild life, and yield. Down side, a waste of wood. Could use recycled wood. Once painted not so degradeable.

Plastic. Uses oil to produce. Doesn't damage mowers (it's only plastic for C sake). Lasts forever. Doesn't degrade. In future years (bearing in mind nearly all plastic comes from oil) people are going to wonder why we wasted such a wonderful resource burning it in cars. Think of every thing made of plastic, and imagine a world without it.

owalker

Medal Winner
Visit site
If someone could categorically say which was more environmentally friendly, that's what I'd choose. As it is, I just prefer wood, even though it annoys me how many I break.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a mixture depending on how high I tee up, wooden for the driver and usually plastic for the rest (usually because I'll also use a broken one or one that has 'thoughtfully' been left in place).

If the eco bit is really of concern to you why not carry a bag of sand?

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm a wooden tee user (preferably white), and I use broken ones on par 3s.
I don't really think about the environmental issues as it's only a drop in the ocean compared to the environmental effect of heavy industry. Although it's the sort of thing you could imagine the EU banning.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to remember when I first started playing in the 70's a lot of course still had the markers with sand in them for making the tee even though most golfers were using plastic tees by then. They tended to get used as glorifed ashtrays. Do any courses still have these types of tee marker or have they all gone now?