Pitching on soggy turf

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
More chance of a birdie in Winter using a wedge. Throw it all the way and it should stop quicker. Bump and runs tend to be a bit harder to judge as the greens are not as good. I just open the face of a wedge (54 or 58) slightly and try to land it just short of the pin for a once bounce and bounce and stop type of shot. Good practice for Summer too.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
More chance of a birdie in Winter using a wedge. Throw it all the way and it should stop quicker. Bump and runs tend to be a bit harder to judge as the greens are not as good. I just open the face of a wedge (54 or 58) slightly and try to land it just short of the pin for a once bounce and bounce and stop type of shot. Good practice for Summer too.

you will be hitting down on the ball though to generate the spin. so the chance to catch it a bit heavy

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You can also shallow out your strike by having the hands move upwards as the club head goes down. Class wee move I've used this last year or two. requires some practice but such a handy tool to have in the locker.