Course/Club Recommendations Near Ampthill (Bedfordshire)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Manor course. The other, longer one is members only I think.

ah ok, they must have changed it to that when it changed ownership? castle course is the better layout if memory serves me right, not sure whether they keep it in better condition too now if members only?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
ah ok, they must have changed it to that when it changed ownership? castle course is the better layout if memory serves me right, not sure whether they keep it in better condition too now if members only?
Not sure, I think they told my dad they'd give him a round on there if he was thinking of joining but he's decided to delay that decision for now anyway. Yes I think the other course is longer and probably considered the primary course, the greens might be better on there, who knows.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure, I think they told my dad they'd give him a round on there if he was thinking of joining but he's decided to delay that decision for now anyway. Yes I think the other course is longer and probably considered the primary course, the greens might be better on there, who knows.

many years since i played it, albeit its only round the corner now, greens were never the strong point, often seemed like they needed a proper cut! layouts decent enough if they get the conditioning right and seem to be spending some money

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
many years since i played it, albeit its only round the corner now, greens were never the strong point, often seemed like they needed a proper cut! layouts decent enough if they get the conditioning right and seem to be spending some money
The weirdest part of the manor course was the very 1st tee which sees you tee off directly over the 9th green so you have to wait for it to clear! Daft way to start proceedings.

AAC

Visit site
I played it many years ago when it was Beadlow Manor, then the greens were the worst I had ever played on, truly awful. Hopefully things have improved, the course was OK, scant praise I know but it was very average.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played it many years ago when it was Beadlow Manor, then the greens were the worst I had ever played on, truly awful. Hopefully things have improved, the course was OK, scant praise I know but it was very average.
Although they've changed the name, the teebox signs still said 'Beadlow Manor' on them. Haven't updated them yet.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The weirdest part of the manor course was the very 1st tee which sees you tee off directly over the 9th green so you have to wait for it to clear! Daft way to start proceedings.
The original 1st tee was down the path so it was in direct line down the fairway to the green. When I played it last year it was a really rough tee in amongst some trees behind the ninth green, I thought it was only temporary. From the old tee the green was reachable for a rubbish player like me, with a favourable wind.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The original 1st tee was down the path so it was in direct line down the fairway to the green. When I played it last year it was a really rough tee in amongst some trees behind the ninth green, I thought it was only temporary. From the old tee the green was reachable for a rubbish player like me, with a favourable wind.
The red tee was over on the right, so not over the 9th green but beyond it. Just the yellows and whites were hitting over it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Beadlow Manor /Cainoe Wood - unfortunately had to play it twice in scratch and mid handicap match , place was a mess , course awful , greens were shocking , more empty beer cans in the bunker than sand

D

Deleted member 15344

any of them this year Phil? had heard they spent some money and it was improving

Yep - best way to improve it would be to dig it up and sell for houses

We played in March and it wasn’t great - they have got a fair bit of money behind it but it needs a lot of work

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep - best way to improve it would be to dig it up and sell for houses

We played in March and it wasn’t great - they have got a fair bit of money behind it but it needs a lot of work

be no courses left in the area soon if they do that lol

yeah was always going to need decent investment but the layout of the main course at least gives them some hope, had heard better things, shame :(

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
great thanks Orikoru, the smell doesn't sound good, will have to keep a nose out for that. But seems like it could be a decent enough track if I get some free time