Why can't I hit it very far?

JSims

Visit site
How's it going for you? I managed to improve quite a bit by doing one specific thing, although the improvement was during summer so will be interesting to see how it goes in the winter. But interesting to hear if you managed to improve.
What other sports do/have you play/ed? A lot of technique becomes natural if there's a history of other swing sports like Softball, Tennis, Hockey Cricket etc. If not, then it has to be learnt from the beginning, which has both advantages and disadvantages, but mostly the latter in the early stages.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Setting my wrists at address rather than during backswing. Not sure how conventional it is but according to Garmin my average drive (during play) is now 200 yards.

I've done that for some while and it worked pretty well, the only problem came because I stopped turning the shoulders enough. Hopefully I've rectified that now and am hitting the ball as good as I've done for some while

Tommygun16

Visit site
I've done that for some while and it worked pretty well, the only problem came because I stopped turning the shoulders enough. Hopefully I've rectified that now and am hitting the ball as good as I've done for some while
Why didn't you say so?! ;)

This is actually relevant to another thread on here I started - no one can tell you what to feel and it's very hard to tell you how to swing.

Paulienash

Visit site
Have you been playing very long?

I've been playing for a couple of years (started in lockdown), I've improved my distance with the driver by 50/60 yards since I started. I've actively tried to stay a lot stiller through the swing (I used to sway quite a lot which is a killer for distance) I've got a much wider swing arc than when I started and I'm now taking a full swing. Not hitting it harder but a full swing, it wasn't until I took a video did I realise it was really only 3/4 most of the time and very inconsistent as to where the downswing started , whereas now I'm starting to 'feel' where a full swing is and its much more repetitive.

Tommygun16

Visit site
Have you been playing very long?

I've been playing for a couple of years (started in lockdown), I've improved my distance with the driver by 50/60 yards since I started. I've actively tried to stay a lot stiller through the swing (I used to sway quite a lot which is a killer for distance) I've got a much wider swing arc than when I started and I'm now taking a full swing. Not hitting it harder but a full swing, it wasn't until I took a video did I realise it was really only 3/4 most of the time and very inconsistent as to where the downswing started , whereas now I'm starting to 'feel' where a full swing is and its much more repetitive.
Playing the same amount of time as you by the sounds of it. I don't do a full swing (that will come) but I couldn't even connect with the ball at a 3/4 swing. I still can't guarantee it but it's better than it was.

Paulienash

Visit site
Practice worked for me, luckily I've enough space at work for me to swing a club, stuck a laser marker in an old club from a charity shop, straight line on the wall & floor and just practised trying to keep it straight and built up to full swings at speed, no ball, just a marker where the ball would be. 20 mins or so a day doing the same drill, start slowly, 1/4 swings, keep it straight, 1/2 swings, etc, etc. & when I do play (which isn't very often) when I duff it a couple of times in a row, it's not a confidence killer anymore, I know I can swing it straight & get something on it 18/20.