Ping Zings

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Still on the hunt for new irons and my budget is around £140 mark so ridiculously low. Decided to look back at retro irons with a touch of quality instead. Saw some Ping Zings on ebay with KT-M shafts looking in great nick for £99. I know they were a 91 model, anyone have any or use them in the past! look a bit weird but reviews were good and they are Ping after all. Other model I liked look of were Macgregor M455 irons which I took on range years ago at the local AG which felt very smooth. All thoughts welcome?

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Still on the hunt for new irons and my budget is around £140 mark so ridiculously low. Decided to look back at retro irons with a touch of quality instead. Saw some Ping Zings on ebay with KT-M shafts looking in great nick for £99. I know they were a 91 model, anyone have any or use them in the past! look a bit weird but reviews were good and they are Ping after all. Other model I liked look of were Macgregor M455 irons which I took on range years ago at the local AG which felt very smooth. All thoughts welcome?

I know a guy selling some Titleist Ap1 710s for around the £100 mark mate.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
You literally can never go wrong with a set of Ping Eye2's - buy a set and unless you want to buy another set, you will never need to again. I live in Phoenix, home of PING golf and as you can imagine they have a large fan base here but Eye2's are still considered very worthy clubs indeed. However get a set that has ZZ Lite Shafts. it was designed for the Eye2 and although on the stiffer side of regular it has an incredibly soft tip yet is used by scratch players and long handicap players who are improving.

Quite simply the best iron set ever made.

SXRORY

Medal Winner
Visit site
140 is not a terrible budget on eBay. if you had a bit of flexibility. Get on eBay look for stuff that finishes at random times. Use a sniper and think outside the box about what you are looking for. You should be able to get something decent

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 of the regular Monday crew use the ping zing 2s. Ugly as sin. Due to a number of factors, age, lofts, me being like Popeye 💪 😃 Distance wise are way down, often 2-3 clubs. Straight as an arrow though

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You literally can never go wrong with a set of Ping Eye2's - buy a set and unless you want to buy another set, you will never need to again. I live in Phoenix, home of PING golf and as you can imagine they have a large fan base here but Eye2's are still considered very worthy clubs indeed. However get a set that has ZZ Lite Shafts. it was designed for the Eye2 and although on the stiffer side of regular it has an incredibly soft tip yet is used by scratch players and long handicap players who are improving.

Quite simply the best iron set ever made.

Thanks for feedback, much appreciated. I have found a set on ebay (reliable seller) for £70 inc postage but without 7 iron. Really tempted after your comments, I play off 20 and my only consideration is would they offer the forgiveness I am looking for. Great price I know, I just want a set of clubs that will stay there until I pack game up

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for feedback, much appreciated. I have found a set on ebay (reliable seller) for £70 inc postage but without 7 iron. Really tempted after your comments, I play off 20 and my only consideration is would they offer the forgiveness I am looking for. Great price I know, I just want a set of clubs that will stay there until I pack game up

Don't underestimate the 7 iron....not an iron I would want to be without ie 7 8 & 9 need to be a match IMO preferably a P too but you can match the P to a G, S and L (if necessary) just as you can get a 4 5 & 6h.

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How about Ping i3 irons ? Not fugly, forgiving if you go for the oversize model, can be had very cheap now.

Failing that I use Maxfli Revolution midsize irons, current set I bought for £25 + P&P (3 to 9) and bagged the PW for around £12.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A pal of mine played with some pings that were 20 odd years old. Loved them and never got rid of them. Never played for a few years but never got rid of them. Started again and wanted to improve and went for a lesson. Turns up with his old Pings and the Pro said " do you know what year it is". Long story short he bought some Callaways. His handicap has not dropped.
Yup some of the Pings look fugly, inc those I bought in July but they go well. Not to sure that Ping have ever made a bad club. You may like these cheap uns which may lead into newer Pings. Good luck with it mah man.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Still playing with eye 2+. Love em but I am after a set of i20 just to have something a bit newer in the bag, and to see if I can get a bit more help with the off centre shots. Will never sell the eye 2's on though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How about Ping i3 irons ? Not fugly, forgiving if you go for the oversize model, can be had very cheap now.

Failing that I use Maxfli Revolution midsize irons, current set I bought for £25 + P&P (3 to 9) and bagged the PW for around £12.

Another 'forgotten classic'! Though I prefer the 'Black Dot' style over the 'Red Dot'.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all your thoughts guys, have just bought a set of Macgregor M455 vfoil irons for £68 inc postage. I remember trying them out in the old days when AG used to sell batches of used irons and loved the feel. Just looking for a touch of forgiveness and I am hoping these will be as I remember. Thanks again