Ping weight missing.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Funny this has come up played 18 with a friend yesterday who plays ping g irons.He went home and washed them like always does this time of year and the weight in the cavity of the 5 iron fell out 2nd time this has happened apparently.Its really put me off the ping irons because this seems like a bit of a defect and they’re not exactly cheap .

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had a good natter at the club today with a guy who has had a visit to the Ping factory. Said they have a room that is set up solely for repairs to lost weights. He then said that " he had heard that the resin used in the USA is no good for the UK market " 🤔. He mentioned his weights had fallen out of his 6 and 9 iron, which incidentally is the clubs he uses on the range. However he then said that his weight had fallen out twice on the 6 iron. Wonder which resin they used then. Then had another natter with one of the guys who said Ping now incorporate the weights inside of the new clubs now so they cannot be lost. Heard a lot of stuff today which could well be toilet talk.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know I have been able to pull some shafts after just soaking the head in very hot water. Just shows the 'melting point' of some glues but probably a bad epoxy mix in reality.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a good natter at the club today with a guy who has had a visit to the Ping factory. Said they have a room that is set up solely for repairs to lost weights. He then said that " he had heard that the resin used in the USA is no good for the UK market " 🤔. He mentioned his weights had fallen out of his 6 and 9 iron, which incidentally is the clubs he uses on the range. However he then said that his weight had fallen out twice on the 6 iron. Wonder which resin they used then. Then had another natter with one of the guys who said Ping now incorporate the weights inside of the new clubs now so they cannot be lost. Heard a lot of stuff today which could well be toilet talk.

Weights inside the head.... who would have thunk it haha

Tashyboy

Visit site
Weights inside the head.... who would have thunk it haha

It is something i was told and something i will have a look at some time. When i had a look at one of the heads it looked like there was an allan key type screw in the side of the club head. Thought it a bit odd, but the club i looked at looked more like a blade rather than a cavity back with the wobbly weights in. 😁👍

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
My G15 7i and 5i are away for repair at the moment due to the back weights falling out. They have been well used and are six years old.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Guess what I found on my drive today. A ping weight 😳 When I think back, I changed my clubs from my cart bag to my carry bag. Did um on the drive in front of the garage. Then gave said clubs a clean and noticed said weight missing. Yesterday I changed over from carry bag to cart bag as my knee and back have been thrashing after a round. Anyway went to garage to give trolley a clean and guess what was winking at me. To be honest my heart skipped a beat coz I thought " Balls not another" . Anyway had a look at it and the resin is still on the back of the weight. It/resin was not even across the weight with a few bubble spots. Has water got under. Don't know. But I do know my wedge has come back, " yesterday as it happens", and the weight on this has a bit more resin on it as it looks like it is standing a little more prouder than the others.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Guess what I found on my drive today. A ping weight 😳 When I think back, I changed my clubs from my cart bag to my carry bag. Did um on the drive in front of the garage. Then gave said clubs a clean and noticed said weight missing. Yesterday I changed over from carry bag to cart bag as my knee and back have been thrashing after a round. Anyway went to garage to give trolley a clean and guess what was winking at me. To be honest my heart skipped a beat coz I thought " Balls not another" . Anyway had a look at it and the resin is still on the back of the weight. It/resin was not even across the weight with a few bubble spots. Has water got under. Don't know. But I do know my wedge has come back, " yesterday as it happens", and the weight on this has a bit more resin on it as it looks like it is standing a little more prouder than the others.

For me it is an "inconvenience" and nothing more. It's rectified and will be rectified for life.

I understand that some are going to moan and groan but any dealings I have had with Ping CS have been mainly positive with a quick resolution.

fj747

Visit site
For me it is an "inconvenience" and nothing more. It's rectified and will be rectified for life.

I understand that some are going to moan and groan but any dealings I have had with Ping CS have been mainly positive with a quick resolution.

Regarding Ping Customer service, is it best to contact them directly about the CTP weights falling out or do you have to do it via a professional?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Regarding Ping Customer service, is it best to contact them directly about the CTP weights falling out or do you have to do it via a professional?

Return via a PGA professional. Ping arrange the uplift and return themselves.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The head came off my Nike driver once (Nike fixed it), and my Cally Rogue 5w shaft split (had a new one fitted by a friend). I have played golf for 30 plus years, and apart from this, have never had any quality issues with any golf club. Not sure why anyone would need repeated dealings with a manufacturers customer service, unless the company just make shoddy kit.

Yep, I am not a Ping fan, but I would apply this to any product I buy, from cookers to cars.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The head came off my Nike driver once (Nike fixed it), and my Cally Rogue 5w shaft split (had a new one fitted by a friend). I have played golf for 30 plus years, and apart from this, have never had any quality issues with any golf club. Not sure why anyone would need repeated dealings with a manufacturers customer service, unless the company just make shoddy kit.

Yep, I am not a Ping fan, but I would apply this to any product I buy, from cookers to cars.

Murph in another anti Ping shocker.

😂😂😂

Coyote Guy

Visit site
I also had the problem with my Ping G's. Not that I'm that great of a golfer, I have been using my wedge and gap wedge without weights, really not sure how much of a difference it makes.

My question (gripe) is why can't Ping just send me the two weights, instead of having to go to UPS and mail them in and wait 1 - 2 weeks for the return. I'm able to glue them
in with super glue as well as ping.

I've had to send in my 6 and 9 in the past, and called Ping today 4/30/20 for my wedge and gap wedge, and the recording said they "...open 4/30/20 because of the corona virus..." :-(

Coyote Guy

Visit site
Yes, an annoyance that they point blank refuse to post them out so you can epoxy them in yourself.

Thanks Ken, thought it was just me! I've got it down to call them tomorrow, and if they don't pay the shipping costs to them and back, its irritating enough that I would consider buying a difference manufacturers' clubs. I think last time I paid to ship them to Ping in. Phoenix and it was around $55.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There is a reason why Ping cant send you the weights.
What weight would they send you?

Each ping club has to be a certain total weight
Just say an 8 iron is 400g*
Each club has a shaft, a head and a grip.
They are all made within a certain tolerance.
Not all shafts weigh exactly the same or the grips or 8 iron heads.
So when a club is assembled in the factory it is weighed.
Just say it weighs 395 g, then a 4g weight will be glued to the head
395 + 4 +1 for the weight of the glue used makes the club 400g in total
If the club weighs less, say 393g, then they will use a 6g weight+1 for the glue =400
So the weight that is glued to the back of the club varies depending on the weight of the rest of the parts added together.
Bottom line is each weight in Ping clubs is different.
Hope that makes sense.
And yes, the weight of the glue is accounted for.

*Disclaimer......numbers quoted may not be accurate.