Ping - A Potential Problem

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unashamedly lifted (with permission) from another site. Never having experienced hitting a ball with it I was interested in learning more especially from those that have. Can you really feel a difference. I assume it isn't the same as the stiff (or no point in doing it I guess). Again, I have no idea if Ping just put a 5 iron shaft in a 6 iron etc or if its' something the pro has to make up
Fair enough, but if you've had to order them, 'hard stepped', isn't that a risk??

And doesn't that defeat the purpose of custom fitting??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And don't worry about the process (which you have backwards btw:whistle:).

Just consider Flex as R+ or S- or 5.3 rather than 5.0 (a guess on numbers).

Fair enough, but if you've had to order them, 'hard stepped', isn't that a risk??

Why a risk? There's a hard-stepped shaft heading to be tested.

And this is actually what 'custom fitting' is about! Albeit a very long slow one. Had it been done at Gainsborough, it would have been much simpler, just like any Fitting Studio.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

From my first post tonight....The pro has suggested we go with the stock CFS but get it hard stepped. He's going to arrange for me to hit a hard stepped version as I had never heard of hard stepping and I'm a little dubious.

No risk as I simply won't part with the cash if I don't get on with it and would rather go with the standard shaft in regular. He's away until Saturday so won't get to try it until then

D

Deleted member 15344

This thread has completely lost me.:confused: I can understand Pros's wanting the exact right shaft, and being able to tell the difference, but as an 11 handicapper I can only just tell the difference between stiff and regular. I do know that my swing is getting slower, and on the basis of keeping my irons for more than six months, I would go for regular over stiff when on the borderline.

I hope my ignorance is not ruining my enjoyment of the game.:mmm:

Very good post

Never seen a 12 handicapper have so many club fittings yet still not buy them - even pros don't act like this. !

At our level it's amusing to read

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This thread has completely lost me.:confused: I can understand Pros's wanting the exact right shaft, and being able to tell the difference, but as an 11 handicapper I can only just tell the difference between stiff and regular.

And that is your problem Rich. Get to know the difference and you will be a single figure golfer before you know it.
And your Pro will be holidaying in the Caribbean twice a year.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Went back on Friday. The pro had got a new CFS standard delivered. We did a blind test and I had no idea whether I was hitting the new CFS or the CFS Distance. First 10 balls came out with a swing speed of 79mph and an average carry of 148. Second 10 were 80 mph and 149 yards. Turns out the first one was the new CFS and the second was the Distance. The new shaft felt more alive. I didn't realise shafts could go off. I am right on the cusp between regular and stiff. Tried the CFS in a stiff but hated it. The pro has suggested we go with the stock CFS but get it hard stepped. He's going to arrange for me to hit a hard stepped version as I had never heard of hard stepping and I'm a little dubious.

It seems the anomaly was simply down to a shaft that wasn't working properly. Interested to get a hard stepped shaft now and see how it feels compared to the CFS stock shaft which definitely had a more responsive feel even on off centre hits.

What happened to the 83pmh and 151 yards from your opening post or could it be that there are twenty other things that'll affect your speed/distance far more than the minor differences in these shafts, i.e whether you've eaten or not, what the temperature is, what your temp is, how old your glove is, are your 'Y' fronts a little tighter, even your mood & state of mind

Sorry I realise that's getting flippant now but when you are talking about these differences its not even a variable for this game and you must just buy whatever you like the look/feel of best... and then stop trying other stuff for a wee while

Your commitment is admirable but somehow I admire your pro's commitment more :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

And that is your problem Rich. Get to know the difference and you will be a single figure golfer before you know it.
And your Pro will be holidaying in the Caribbean twice a year.

Yeah.....I wondered why Homer 's pro seemed to be away so often...... :whistle:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There was me, thinking that every time I played crap it was my fault. If only I'd know it was the shaft that wasn't working properly.
The things you learn!!

According to a pro I saw on Sky, if it's long or short it's the caddie's fault, if it's left or right it's the coach's fault. Since I don't have either, I have to assume it's my fault (unless I'm playing a pairs match with Homer, then it is ALWAYS his fault :D)

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
I hope you get what you're after in the end Homer, if only to quell any niggling doubts that might reside at the back of your mind without 'the perfect shaft'.

Can you IMAGINE if it was all a huge practical joke and your pro had actually been giving you the exact same club/shaft each time. Would be hilarious.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What happened to the 83pmh and 151 yards from your opening post or could it be that there are twenty other things that'll affect your speed/distance far more than the minor differences in these shafts, i.e whether you've eaten or not, what the temperature is, what your temp is, how old your glove is, are your 'Y' fronts a little tighter, even your mood & state of mind

Sorry I realise that's getting flippant now but when you are talking about these differences its not even a variable for this game and you must just buy whatever you like the look/feel of best... and then stop trying other stuff for a wee while

he gets paid:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

The clubs have been ordered though - the saga is coming to an end !

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Flippant it may be, but also pretty valid.

Custom Fit can only provide recommendation from the results on the day.

However, Homer is surprisingly consistent (at least in averages) and the comparisons that are being made are with 'today's swing' whatever that may be. So comparing shafts in a session is fine, but comparing today's best shaft with the results from a previous session is a bit iffy. Comparing 'bests' from separate sessions side by side is valid though! So the next session should use the stock Reg CFS against the hard-stepped one.

Can't wait to read the next exciting episode!:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

Wrong, as you usually are but then you never let the facts get in the way of a smart arse comment. I was going to get the guy to order Monday but that's on hold until I hit a hard stepped demo.

The deal has been done and the clubs are on order. I25 heads with a CFS standard shaft, hard stepped in a green dot with a standard size grip. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

:confused: