Ping - A Potential Problem

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went for a try of the I25 irons today. Indoor bay and trackman given the weather was so bad. Hit some balls and some base line figures with my TM Tour Preferred, 78mph with 7 iron and 139 average carry. G25 gave 79mph and 141 so minimal difference. Dispersion similar.

Hit the I25 with the standard CFs shaft http://www.ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=16359 which had the same average speed of 78mph but was getting the ball out to 146 yards so a definite improvement. And then the curve ball. My pro gave me the CFS Distance. It's has exactly the same step pattern as the standard shaft but should only be offered as part of the Karsten set up (according to Ping later). Only a gramme difference in weight so more or less the same as the stock offering. http://www.ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=16428

Ball speed rose to 83mph and distance went out to 151 with a tighter dispersion. On paper the ideal shaft. My teaching pro calls Ping and apparently according to their technical guys there is no difference in the shafts except when inserted into the Karsten it is 1/4 longer because of the hosel on that club compared to the I25 and apart from the fact he shouldn't have offered me that shaft as an I25 option they didn't believe him. He read the trackman numbers and I think ended up mailing them. I clearly have a shaft that works for my swing and yet Ping aren't happy to offer me the CFS Distance as an option.

I could go with the lesser option and the stock option but why should I and would it really hurt Ping to sell me the other option even if the pro made an error with giving me the option. I left them discussing the in and outs and Rhys (my teaching pro) was going through the data again. I'm hoping common sense prevails but not holding my breath

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
With all due respect homie you bought clubs based on trackman last year....just buy the ones you think are prettiest, the data is pretty much irrelevant :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sigh. You'd rather I stood on an open range in lashing rain and gale force winds to get numbers that would be wildly inaccuarate. My issue isn't with the numbers but Ping's reluctance to sell me the I25 in the best performing shaft.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
strange. I see no reason why they couldn't just stick the shaft in for you and let you pay for it.

why not have a bash with the karsten irons with this shaft. the extra 1/4 inch might even get you a few more yards.

D

Deleted member 15344

With all due respect homie you bought clubs based on trackman last year....just buy the ones you think are prettiest, the data is pretty much irrelevant :thup:

Look at it in a positive way - 6 month old I25's for sale soon :D

:thup:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer did you have a hit of the Karsten irons? They are due out today and I heard the hybrids in the sets are awesome.

I tried a Karsten iron last week and thought it was bloody awful. Just hope when I'm back again for my CF that they don't give me the best numbers:eek:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How about a (further) 1/4" longer with the standard shaft?

What did Ping suggest?

Btw. Are you comparing like for like? I know I25s are slightly lower loft 7i is 33* than current TM TP MCs (34*), so probably a bit lower again (and potentially a bit longer) than yours.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer did you have a hit of the Karsten irons? They are due out today and I heard the hybrids in the sets are awesome.

I tried a Karsten iron last week and thought it was bloody awful. Just hope when I'm back again for my CF that they don't give me the best numbers:eek:

Only the I25 and to be honest I'm not biting. The I25's were excellent and I just need Ping to do the right thing. Maybe it was just a mix up in communications and they can get it sorted.

D

Deleted member 15344

FC took a I25 7 Iron today to test - had a go with it , felt nice of the club but distance was reduced compared to my current clubs.

The bottom just feels a bit too big.

Certainly hardly see the difference between them and the I20's

Nothing compared to the new TMTP's though - they are lovely and come of the face with a lovely feel and sound

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only the I25 and to be honest I'm not biting. The I25's were excellent and I just need Ping to do the right thing. Maybe it was just a mix up in communications and they can get it sorted.

I hope they do the right thing and offer you the option. But make sure that when they do that you go and have another hit.

If you find you aren't getting the numbers as well as the LOVE then hit up another brand.

D

Deleted member 18588

I must be missing the point.

Ping assemble clubs at Gainsborough, don't they? So what is preventing them inserting the shafts you want into the head that you have chosen.

What can be their problem. I would push them if I were you Homer.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I must be missing the point.

Ping assemble clubs at Gainsborough, don't they? So what is preventing them inserting the shafts you want into the head that you have chosen.

What can be their problem. I would push them if I were you Homer.

Pretty much how I see it as well. Seems very strange.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sigh. You'd rather I stood on an open range in lashing rain and gale force winds to get numbers that would be wildly inaccuarate. My issue isn't with the numbers but Ping's reluctance to sell me the I25 in the best performing shaft.

You can sigh all you like homie, maybe even hurrumph!!.. You live your life on social media but don't welcome any dissenting comment.:rolleyes: rolley rolley eyes.

Something smells fishy... I feel homergate 3 coming on.....there is absolutely no way you're carrying a 7 iron 151 :whoo:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If attributes of Hosel in I25 and Karsten models aren't the same, then it becomes a 'hybrid' build, so probably not guaranteed etc.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Homer

In the 'olde days' people used to go to the practice range with a selection of clubs and make a decision based on looks, confidence, feel and performance. Today people hit a load of balls into a screen and pick the club that gives the best 'numbers' regardless of the feel or confidence the club gives them. Confidence is a major part of golf, I couldn't live with a club that didn't inspire confidence or feel good through the ball regardless of the numbers it produces in a net.

From reading your posts on here, confidence seems to be a pretty big part of your game. Forget the 'technically best' clubs and find one that makes you feel good and lets you hit decent shots. You'll feel a lot happier with them out on the course :thup:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
You can sigh all you like homie, maybe even hurrumph!!.. You live your life on social media but don't welcome any dissenting comment.:rolleyes: rolley rolley eyes.

Something smells fishy... I feel homergate 3 coming on.....there is absolutely no way you're carrying a 7 iron 151 :whoo:

Was Homer supposed to welcome, as you say, dissenting comments.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
. You live your life on social media but don't welcome any dissenting comment

:

Tend to agree Homer, you seem a bit precious for someone who puts themselves "out there" so much on t'interweb.....

Anyway, I can't understand why Ping wouldn't just fit the shafts, its not clear if you've pushed for that to happen? If you did what was their response?

Could you get an independent club fitter to order the components separately and put them together?