Philly169: The Return...

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After taking best part of a year off from golf, due to birth of my little girl, now things have started to settle down and the weather is getting better I've finally found some time to get hitting balls again!

As some of you probably know, around September I was selected to have a fitting for a 917 D2 driver at Titleist. This was planned just after the HFH day at Hankley Common and although I was hitting driving well on the HFH day with my 910 D2, on the fitting day I was a bit all over the place. This was likely due to the fact i hadn't been playing golf much since May. After the fitting I'd planned to get out on to the range and the course for some testing, but never got round to it - days out with the family, baby swim and work all got in the way of golf, I didn't even find time to watch it on the TV or come back on to the forum very often. I had begun to lose the bug and the one time i managed to get to the driving range, I gave up after 20 minutes as nothing was getting off the ground and my hands were hurting from the vibrations of thinned shots. I also felt bad that GM had given me the fitting opportunity and I hadn't been able to give any feedback.

Anyway, fast forward to the now... Tiger Woods is back, I'm watching golf on TV, great! Yesterday, Mrs 169 gave told me to go to the driving range, i accepted the offer. I headed down to Direct Golf in St Ives and blasted 100 balls out into the range - it was like i'd never stopped. I focused mainly on short irons PW down to 7 iron, but everything was mostly straight, some slight deviations, but nothing major. I felt good. I was concentrating on posture and getting that feel back. I also tried to slow my swing down and work on my swing plane. I was pretty happy.

I then pulled out the big dog, the 917 D2.. a hit a few shots with it - wow.... I hadn't given it a proper chance after the fitting and didn't really think about it, but the feel of the ball coming off the face was so smooth and it just flew, it looked like it went long - i was in shock. I only hit about 10 shots with it, but they were all great strikes and pretty much straight.

I've now signed up for a golf society that is run at the holiday park my in-laws have a lodge in Great Yarmouth and am scheduled to play next weekend - so hopefully I can start getting back out on the course, not as a member, but will hopefully have the opportunity to get to some bucket list courses and weekends.

I'm pretty stoked about getting back into golf and I'm hoping to do a video review of the 917 D2 over the next few days/weeks!

TL;DR

Wife had my baby, I stopped playing golf
Got fitted for the 917D2 with GM, didn't have time to use it or test it after the fitting
Went to the driving range last night for the first time in 6 months, hit it like i never stopped
Got the bug again, can't wait to get out there..
Go Tiger....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Went to the driving range last night for the first time in 6 months, hit it like i never stopped

Hate to spoil it, but that's almost certainly the best you are going to hit it for the next 8-10 months!! Low/no expectations/pressure!

Welcome back!

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
After taking best part of a year off from golf, due to birth of my little girl, now things have started to settle down and the weather is getting better I've finally found some time to get hitting balls again!

As some of you probably know, around September I was selected to have a fitting for a 917 D2 driver at Titleist. This was planned just after the HFH day at Hankley Common and although I was hitting driving well on the HFH day with my 910 D2, on the fitting day I was a bit all over the place. This was likely due to the fact i hadn't been playing golf much since May. After the fitting I'd planned to get out on to the range and the course for some testing, but never got round to it - days out with the family, baby swim and work all got in the way of golf, I didn't even find time to watch it on the TV or come back on to the forum very often. I had begun to lose the bug and the one time i managed to get to the driving range, I gave up after 20 minutes as nothing was getting off the ground and my hands were hurting from the vibrations of thinned shots. I also felt bad that GM had given me the fitting opportunity and I hadn't been able to give any feedback.

Anyway, fast forward to the now... Tiger Woods is back, I'm watching golf on TV, great! Yesterday, Mrs 169 gave told me to go to the driving range, i accepted the offer. I headed down to Direct Golf in St Ives and blasted 100 balls out into the range - it was like i'd never stopped. I focused mainly on short irons PW down to 7 iron, but everything was mostly straight, some slight deviations, but nothing major. I felt good. I was concentrating on posture and getting that feel back. I also tried to slow my swing down and work on my swing plane. I was pretty happy.

I then pulled out the big dog, the 917 D2.. a hit a few shots with it - wow.... I hadn't given it a proper chance after the fitting and didn't really think about it, but the feel of the ball coming off the face was so smooth and it just flew, it looked like it went long - i was in shock. I only hit about 10 shots with it, but they were all great strikes and pretty much straight.

I've now signed up for a golf society that is run at the holiday park my in-laws have a lodge in Great Yarmouth and am scheduled to play next weekend - so hopefully I can start getting back out on the course, not as a member, but will hopefully have the opportunity to get to some bucket list courses and weekends.

I'm pretty stoked about getting back into golf and I'm hoping to do a video review of the 917 D2 over the next few days/weeks!

TL;DR

Wife had my baby, I stopped playing golf
Got fitted for the 917D2 with GM, didn't have time to use it or test it after the fitting
Went to the driving range last night for the first time in 6 months, hit it like i never stopped
Go Tiger....

welcome back very similar to me with the birth of my second child Ive had over a year lay off ,having my first round back today ,I'm currently using a titleist 915 driver I love titleist metals love the look of the 917

D

Deleted Member 1156

Did you enter for the fitting knowing you wouldn't be playing for a year?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I entered it thinking I'd have more time to play and that my driver needed an upgrade

Ah OK, just I thought one of the criteria for these fittings was a commitment to play a certain number of times and provide feedback.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This does make me feel bad.. our little girl is 9 Months in a week.. I’ve played 28 rounds.. not including range time.. par 3 course and lessons

Whoops

quick edit. on reflection I should add I get a lot of days off in the week for working 12 hour weekends.. so I never play at weekends thats family time.. but weekdays are a free for all lol

Last edited: