PGA Tour Player of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PGA Player of the Year

• Total voters

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes, the Majors are important but who cares who came 2nd or 3rd...?
If the Pros don't win the Major they're probably not that fussed where they come so it becomes less relevant.
BK won one of them and didn't win 3 of them.
For me, this award is a season long award.
One way to judge performances is to look at the world ranking points.
BK gained 380 points this year to Rory's 386 showing similar overall performance throughout the year.
Then it does come down to a popularity contest.
And Rory won that.

D

Deleted member 3432

Don’t be so narrow minded. If you think any pro golfer or “top guy” doesn’t care about the other events then you’re mistaken.

Feels like there’s gona be a lot of sour grapes in this thread.
No sour grapes from me, I think he is superb when he is 'on'.

Point is his legacy is going to be measured on number of major wins.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
He's already in the top 20 multiple major winners of all time....... not exactly slacking....

True, but in the future, will he really be heralded as an all time great, like he is now? Most of the true greats who are spoken about have more than 4 to their name. That doesn’t stop him being a great player, but to get to the next level. Be an icon, i feel he needs more.

Different sport, but take Andy Murray for example, on these shores people will big him up, but in the grand scheme of things in 20 years time his record won’t have him regarded anywhere near the greats.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
True, but in the future, will he really be heralded as an all time great, like he is now? Most of the true greats who are spoken about have more than 4 to their name. That doesn’t stop him being a great player, but to get to the next level. Be an icon, i feel he needs more.

Different sport, but take Andy Murray for example, on these shores people will big him up, but in the grand scheme of things in 20 years time his record won’t have him regarded anywhere near the greats.
Not if he doesn't get any more
But 3 more gets him above Faldo. He's 30..he's got loads of time.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As stated, it is a PGA Tour award. Makes sense for them to promote their brand and the results within.

Can we rename the poll so I can vote again?🙂😂

D

Deleted member 15344

His "but" is his recent record in majors!!
His major record shows 4 wins , that’s more than any other regular tour player beyond Woods and Mickleson- his career isn’t just the recent years and it’s got a long time to do yet. Plenty time to get more under his belt.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
His major record shows 4 wins , that’s more than any other regular tour player beyond Woods and Mickleson- his career isn’t just the recent years and it’s got a long time to do yet. Plenty time to get more under his belt.

Hopefully you are right but I think he's going to struggle to add to that tally.

D

Deleted member 1147

How I see it:
Koepka leads on wins, as despite winning the same number, his were bigger events
Koepka wins on major performance
Rory wins on regular season performance

So I’d have had BK as winner, but you could easily argue for RM as well

Congrats to both

User20204

Visit site
How many on here who have posted an opinion on Rory getting this award play on the PGA tour :unsure: thought so, your opinions are irrelevant (y)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
How many on here who have posted an opinion on Rory getting this award play on the PGA tour :unsure: thought so, your opinions are irrelevant (y)
🙄🙄🙄

Ah that good old line.

Guess we may as well just close this thread and any other that refers to the ability of professionals.

Whilst we're at it, close the political ones (not as bad idea) as none of us are mps.....

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
🙄🙄🙄

Ah that good old line.

Guess we may as well just close this thread and any other that refers to the ability of professionals.

Whilst we're at it, close the political ones (not as bad idea) as none of us are mps.....

PROROGUE THE INTERNETZ!

Springveldt

Visit site
Came up short in the only 4 comps that matter to the top guys.
I think you would be surprised how many would take the $15M over the PGA Championship.

Rory was a worthy winner imho. 14 top 10's in 19 starts is crazy and his strokes gained was a ridiculous number as well. Throw in that he won the Tour Championship while spotting Brooks 2 shots and JT 5 shots then I can see why the players voted for him.

Also, isn't the Players seen as the 5th biggest tournament of the year and only slightly behind the PGA Championship (which is the worse major imho).

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think you would be surprised how many would take the $15M over the PGA Championship.

Rory was a worthy winner imho. 14 top 10's in 19 starts is crazy and his strokes gained was a ridiculous number as well. Throw in that he would the Tour Championship while spotting Brooks 2 shots and JT 5 shots then I can see why the players voted for him.
I reckon a lot of the top 150 would swap. But not the top 10 who are looking to create legacy’s in the game.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Do these players actually care about it? Both have won big titles and lots of money, is the player of the year worth mentioning to them?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Rory was a worthy winner imho. 14 top 10's in 19 starts is crazy and his strokes gained was a ridiculous number as well. Throw in that he won the Tour Championship while spotting Brooks 2 shots and JT 5 shots then I can see why the players voted for him.

Also, isn't the Players seen as the 5th biggest tournament of the year and only slightly behind the PGA Championship (which is the worse major imho).

cant beat a ridiculous strokes gained stat over an actual Major championship lol. WALOFS

Springveldt

Visit site
cant beat a ridiculous strokes gained stat over an actual Major championship lol. WALOFS
I didn't say that? I'm saying his strokes gained proved he was the most consistent over the year. His Players win is a massive win and he won the Tour Championship against the top 29 players in the world, while spotting Brooks 2 shots and JT 5 shots.

I'm just saying I don't see the controversy in Rory winning it.