PGA Player of the Year

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
4 Majors, 4 Ryder cup wins (competed in 5 already), former world number 1, Order of merit/Fedex for both Euro and US tours multiple times - even if he retired today he'd be a legend of the game.

I voted Rory, if you remove Open and US Open from stats as they don't count for this then their wins are relatively similar in profile (although I agree the major stands out for Brooks). But for me, these player of the year awards has to look at consistency rather than one of events where they already get a trophy. Rory's stats are superb and I think it may be strokes gained tee to green has only ever been bettered by Tiger in his pomp.

I can defo see an argument for both. But consider it from a player POV, start of the season. For the top players, not those hoping to scratch a living. Do they target the FedEx or the majors?

They ALL talk about peaking for the majors.

As to his place in the history books. When Jack and Tiger are spoke about. Do we mention either Ryder Cup record. For me, legends of any sport are the greatest dozen or so. Atm, he doesn’t get in my top 12 golfers of all time.

Of course there is time for that to change, and I also accept others will have a different criteria to judge than myself. 👍

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
D

Deleted member 1147

Brooks all day. Major winner and Rory's record looking very average as the years pass. Surely that is what the top players look at and stats can tell a host of stories.
Honestly...look at the details in Phil’s opening post - how is any of that average?
...and that’s only this season, he’s already won more majors & regular pga tour events than a lot of so called greats, and he’s only 30!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No offence Homer, but take a second to think what you write, Rory’s record looking very average as the years pass, wow 🤣🤣
When was the last time he won a major? Three missed US open cuts before this year. Cut and low finishes before this years US PGA. As I said his Open record stands up until this year but not always been in contention at Augusta. If the hallmark of a top player is the number of majors and look at Koepka's dominance in winning at least one since 2017 and I think the point is valid

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Its clear most think Brooks is going to win ( have a sneaky feeling they will go Rory )

But for anyone to suggest Rory’s record is very average is laughable beyond belief

4 majors

2 Fed Ex

2 WGC

11 PGA Tour wins

7 European Tour wins

I guess beyond Woods and Mickleson no one else comes close to him ? Out of the new breed his record sits at the top - yet it’s “very average” 😂😂😂😂😂
Surely Spieth is up there with him?

3 majors
11 pga tour wins

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So Brooks won a major a WGC and finished top 4 in all 4 majors, total wins 3

Rory won no majors, no WGCs and one of his wins there was less than 10 realistic winners, total wins 3

You really have to change how you view golf and success on the PGA tour if you think Rorys had a better year, Rory wouldnt even claim that himself just because he won the end of season jamboree for a boat load of cash! He even admitted in his interview his target for the week was to shoot the lowest 4 round score not win the handicap comp (rory knows its the gross club champs that matters :) )

D

Deleted member 1147

I can defo see an argument for both. But consider it from a player POV, start of the season. For the top players, not those hoping to scratch a living. Do they target the FedEx or the majors?

As to his place in the history books. When Jack and Tiger are spoke about. Do we mention either Ryder Cup record. For me, legends of any sport are the greatest dozen or so. Atm, he doesn’t get in my top 12 golfers of all time.

Of course there is time for that to change, and I also accept others will have a different criteria to judge than myself. 👍
For this season alone, which was what the OP was about, it’s very close.
Rory has been consistent in top 10’s and if course has 3 wins (players, Canada and tour champs) all of which are biggies.
But Koepka had 3 wins as well, though his included a major and a wgc, plus he was top 4 in all the majors.
Hence Koepka wins for me.
But Rory also had one hell of a good season (certainly not average)!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
For this season alone, which was what the OP was about, it’s very close.
Rory has been consistent in top 10’s and if course has 3 wins (players, Canada and tour champs) all of which are biggies.
But Koepka had 3 wins as well, though his included a major and a wgc, plus he was top 4 in all the majors.
Hence Koepka wins for me.
But Rory also had one hell of a good season (certainly not average)!
Oh I agree he hasn’t had an average season, nor do I think he’s an average player.

My response earlier was in regards to homers post, where it could be argued he is only an average great of the game (if that makes sense). It’s easy and relevant now for us to quite all his other achievements. But over time, the only one that’ll count will be the 4 majors. Of course he still has a lot of years to move further up the rankings.

D

Deleted member 15344

So Brooks won a major a WGC and finished top 4 in all 4 majors, total wins 3

Rory won no majors, no WGCs and one of his wins there was less than 10 realistic winners, total wins 3

You really have to change how you view golf and success on the PGA tour if you think Rorys had a better year, Rory wouldnt even claim that himself just because he won the end of season jamboree for a boat load of cash! He even admitted in his interview his target for the week was to shoot the lowest 4 round score not win the handicap comp (rory knows its the gross club champs that matters :) )

It’s an award voted by the Players and there is no doubt that people will have Rory as their player of the year even if it may not be the right result - he has had an outstanding year on the PGA Tour and it would surprise if they gave him the award

D

Deleted member 1147

Oh I agree he hasn’t had an average season, nor do I think he’s an average player.

My response earlier was in regards to homers post, where it could be argued he is only an average great of the game (if that makes sense). It’s easy and relevant now for us to quite all his other achievements. But over time, the only one that’ll count will be the 4 majors. Of course he still has a lot of years to move further up the rankings.
An “average great”, I like that...not enough for Homer though🤣

Of course. there are a lot more people who’ve won fewer majors than Rory, than have won more!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

My point was in regards to his major record which in my opinion has been very average n recent years, bar perhaps the Open but even then his last effort was a missed cut. He is clearly still capable of going low and winning events but as others have said surely it is the final tally of majors most players will value a career on.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

If you're going top 12 of all time then perhaps more challenging but still already close. When you stand out like Jack and Tiger then you don't consider Ryder Cup record but then you come down to the likes of Seve and it's a big element for example. Even Faldo with points scored.

On this season, expect Brooks to take it, I just think it's strange that a season long award we're saying is basically who won a major. So for example if Brooks wasn't in it, people would say Tiger should win it not Rory as he's got the major but that seems a false narrative.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s an award voted by the Players and there is no doubt that people will have Rory as their player of the year even if it may not be the right result - he has had an outstanding year on the PGA Tour and it would surprise if they gave him the award

so youre saying its a popularity award? ah on that basis then sure give it to Rory (ill still be a Brooks backer when Augusta comes back around and it counts :) )

D

Deleted member 1147

My point was in regards to his major record which in my opinion has been very average n recent years, bar perhaps the Open but even then his last effort was a missed cut. He is clearly still capable of going low and winning events but as others have said surely it is the final tally of majors most players will value a career on.
2 top 10’s in majors in each of the last 6 years.

Average, or a lot better than most manage?

D

Deleted member 1147

44 majors played , 20 top 10’s.
Including 4 wins, 1 x 2nd, 3 x 3rd and 4 other top 5’s.

Average?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If it's a "players" vote then it's already in the bag for Brooks.

Why would you even consider voting for anyone who hasn't won a major this year? That is the bread and butter for all top golfers. Majors won column.

Top guys win majors. Players of the year win majors.