PGA Tour Player of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PGA Player of the Year

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

If it's a "players" vote then it's already in the bag for Brooks.

Why would you even consider voting for anyone who hasn't won a major this year? That is the bread and butter for all top golfers. Majors won column.

Top guys win majors. Players of the year win majors.

2009 - Woods won it without winning a major

2010 - Furyk won it without winning a major

2011 - Donald won it without winning a major

2013 - Woods won it without winning a major

Plus a few other years with woods winning it without a major

Seems it not a given

D

Deleted member 1147

If it's a "players" vote then it's already in the bag for Brooks.

Why would you even consider voting for anyone who hasn't won a major this year? That is the bread and butter for all top golfers. Majors won column.

I agree that I’d choose Koepka this year.
But, to go to an extreme; if one player won, say, 10 tour events but no major, and another player won a major but did little else (no other wins, no top 10’s, lots of missed cuts).

Would you still go for the major winner as that season’s best player?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Seems it not a given

Does anyone have a straw I could borrow? I only need the one but someone seems to have stolen them all...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree that I’d choose Koepka this year.
But, to go to an extreme; if one player won, say, 10 tour events but no major, and another player won a major but did little else (no other wins, no top 10’s, lots of missed cuts).

Would you still go for the major winner as that season’s best player?

Majors are the pinnacle. I vote for guys that get to the pinnacle.

Can't argue that guys like Monty and Westy are phenomenal talented players but they didn't hit the peak, and both will.look back with regrets and "what it's".

D

Deleted member 1147

Majors are the pinnacle. I vote for guys that get to the pinnacle.

Can't argue that guys like Monty and Westy are phenomenal talented players but they didn't hit the peak, and both will.look back with regrets and "what it's".

What about 2003, Micheel won the PGA, but Tiger got player of the year.
1 man won a major plus 3 other top 10’s, the other won 5 events, 2 x 2nds and 5 other top 10’s (and no missed cuts).
Imho Micheel ain’t best player that year, Despite the major (his one and only victory).

Would you choose Shaun Micheel?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What about 2003, Micheel won the PGA, but Tiger got player of the year.
1 man won a major plus 3 other top 10’s, the other won 5 events, 2 x 2nds and 5 other top 10’s (and no missed cuts).
Imho Micheel ain’t best player that year, Despite the major (his one and only victory).

Would you choose Shaun Micheel?

I've already answered that. If you choose not to believe me that's fair enough.

Not going to explain my thinking for every situation you choose. You aim for the pinnacle, if you achieve that you deserve recognition and respect.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Seems it not a given

Would you put Tiger as the GOAT?
Or at least put him above Nicholas?
Or would you then bring majors into it because it suits?

D

Deleted member 1147

I've already answered that. If you choose not to believe me that's fair enough.

Not going to explain my thinking for every situation you choose. You aim for the pinnacle, if you achieve that you deserve recognition and respect.
I believe you 👍.
I was Just enquiring as to extent you’d stick to your position, or if you’d change in extreme situations.

I understand your position as you have a set basis for your ranking. I don’t agree, but that’s no issue and you at least a logical reasoning, backed up by facts.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I believe you 👍.
I was Just enquiring as to extent you’d stick to your position, or if you’d change in extreme situations.

I understand your position as you have a set basis for your ranking. I don’t agree, but that’s no issue and you at least a logical reasoning, backed up by facts.

Jumping in here, personally I think there has to be some flexibility in the face of extremity. Don't give PoTY to the guy who had the week of his life in the good half of the draw who putted his lights out for the sake of it, over a 2003 Tiger. However, there were 3other majors that year and one of them may have challenged TW, and with the weight that should be placed on majors done enough to win it.

Its also worth remembering that no player in the history of golf has given a flying fish about this award or lists it as an achievement, yet here us hackers are 50 posts deep!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If you're going top 12 of all time then perhaps more challenging but still already close. When you stand out like Jack and Tiger then you don't consider Ryder Cup record but then you come down to the likes of Seve and it's a big element for example. Even Faldo with points scored.

On this season, expect Brooks to take it, I just think it's strange that a season long award we're saying is basically who won a major. So for example if Brooks wasn't in it, people would say Tiger should win it not Rory as he's got the major but that seems a false narrative.

I don’t think people are arguing like that at all. They’re using it as a differentiating factor. If Brook had only won the major then I would have likely gone Rory, albeit I expect the best in the game would still choose a major over 3 events.

But when they’ve both one 3, the major is the extra. The rest of the stats etc, whilst very impressive aren’t how players are judged. Nobody every recalls tales of a superstar and the year they’re were best tee to green. The only player who’s missed cuts stats I can ever truly recall being mentioned in the past were TW and that was only when a
L the other superstars were missing more cuts without a year or 2 of playing than he had in his whole career (pre return from injuries).

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Seems it not a given

Ye Yang won the USPGA and nothing else. Gonna guess woods got a few trophies that year.
Kaymer won USPGA whilst effectively being a European tour member, Furyk won 2 events.
Kegan Bradley won the pga along with 1 other event. Donald won 2. I’m guessing him getting to World number 1 was the clincher.
Jason dufner won uspga, his only win of the year, Woods won 5 events.

for me, Donald the only one where it could be debated that he shouldn’t have won it and that the USPGA winner could have. The rest, the winner had a better record. This year, Rory has an equal record. So logic would suggest Brooks gets it.

As to the other years woods won, I’m gonna gues she had more wins each year than the pga winner.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
44 majors played , 20 top 10’s.
Including 4 wins, 1 x 2nd, 3 x 3rd and 4 other top 5’s.

Average?
Aside from the 2nd in the 2018 Open (and I recognise the 4th and 5th in the preceding two years in the same event) I'd say recent majors since 2014 hasn't been as strong as Koepka and indeed the number of missed cuts make in the US Open and US PGA make it poor compared to a number of the others in the world top 10 in the same events over the same period. It is really the Open record that has any consistency to it (not counting this year of course)

It is AN OPINION

D

Deleted member 1147

Aside from the 2nd in the 2018 Open (and I recognise the 4th and 5th in the preceding two years in the same event) I'd say recent majors since 2014 hasn't been as strong as Koepka and indeed the number of missed cuts make in the US Open and US PGA make it poor compared to a number of the others in the world top 10 in the same events over the same period. It is really the Open record that has any consistency to it (not counting this year of course)

It is AN OPINION
It may be an opinion, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t wrong!

No one is arguing that Koepka hasn’t been the most successful player in the majors in the last few years.

But to describe Rory’s career as average is rubbish. Just look at the numbers, they’re above average, in terms of majors and tour events.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

It is AN OPINION

Do you understand how averages work?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's Brooks, no contest for me. Rory's had a great year, but Brooks finishing T2, 1, 2 and T4 in the Majors is an absolutely insane run. Add to that a WGC win, the win at the CJ Cup which counts as part of the 2019 season, 9 top 10s, 1 missed cut, he's POTY.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Ye Yang won the USPGA and nothing else. Gonna guess woods got a few trophies that year.
Kaymer won USPGA whilst effectively being a European tour member, Furyk won 2 events.
Kegan Bradley won the pga along with 1 other event. Donald won 2. I’m guessing him getting to World number 1 was the clincher.
Jason dufner won uspga, his only win of the year, Woods won 5 events.

for me, Donald the only one where it could be debated that he shouldn’t have won it and that the USPGA winner could have. The rest, the winner had a better record. This year, Rory has an equal record. So logic would suggest Brooks gets it.

As to the other years woods won, I’m gonna gues she had more wins each year than the pga winner.

I agree with you - you cant just look at the Majors as the sole reason hence why i posted above in response to

Got to look beyond just winning a major hence why non major winners have won the POTY before and will in the Future

Koepka and Rory have both had outstanding years - both broken records and their performances have been superb - for me they both are worthy winners if their peers vote for them , and for me the best part is they are both young and we could have some great battles ahead between two great guys as well

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I agree with you - you cant just look at the Majors as the sole reason hence why i posted above in response to

Got to look beyond just winning a major hence why non major winners have won the POTY before and will in the Future

Koepka and Rory have both had outstanding years - both broken records and their performances have been superb - for me they both are worthy winners if their peers vote for them , and for me the best part is they are both young and we could have some great battles ahead between two great guys as well

I agree just winning the major doesn't guarantee it. But for me. Any time two players have great seasons. The one with the major has had the better one.

I think as has been said by a few of us it simply boils down to who would swapt their season.

I reckon including the previous mentioned examples. All the POTY winners would.