2013 - Year of the Putter - a story so far

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s Friday, it’s a long day at work, so I have begun a tedious account of my golfing year. Please feel free to follow my procrastinations and lunacy if you, like me, are bored out of your skull this morning.

2013 The story so far…

Summary

Having joined my first club in January (as a proper grown up) I’m 9 months in to my golfing struggle and the season is coming to a close. Thus far, my expectations have been exceeded.

In the beginning, there were trees, lots of trees. I spent that much time in trees I was awarded membership of the National Trust. But then, like a flushed 5 iron, I emerged from the trees and found the velvet green carpeted fairway. Or, strike that, like a shanked PW, I stumbled from the trees and found the first cut of rough. Significant progress.
Having submitted my first scorecards early in the year (a solid batting average) I was awarded (burdened) with a handicap of 23. Initially I struggled, with low Stableford scores (my first being 22) and ton-up medal scores. But I persevered, and come Spring, I was in danger of looking like an amateur golfer, shooting PBs, winning a comp and lowering my handicap.

Those were heady heights, but I have steadily improved in the time since, and as the season (PGA Tour, I think I’m on it) draws to a close, I am delighted to have lowered my handicap by 4 shots, won a competition, and unexpectedly represented the Rabbits Team.

Bag

Let’s start with the obvious. My bag has seen more putters than John Daly has seen pies. I’ve lost count of the number since January and the latest incumbent only arrived yesterday. This part of the bag is a revolving door and there is no sign of it closing soon. Unless Chuck Norris shows up, he can slam a revolving door you know.
The rest of the bag has been relatively stable. The G20 irons I was fitted for in January have really helped and iron play is arguably the strongest part of my game. I flirted with the G20 hybrids early on, but they were quickly usurped by my old V Steel 5W, undoubtedly my favourite club in the bag.

Comps

As above, my early competition form was disastrous. I remember the first tee shot of my first comp – brown trousers. I can’t remember being so physically nervous about anything before, shaking like the proverbial dog. But the nerves didn’t last and I now look forward to comps with relish and seem to play a lot better in them than friendly games. In friendly games I often ponder what’s for tea, or whether or not a putter of the tee is a sensible option.
I’ve had a couple of podium finishes this year, and in the team comps I’ve also managed some good results, winning enough coin to buy another putter. And another…
The pinnacle (not the ball) came in May, when I amassed 45pts and won the Club Stableford comp (name on a board – ooooh controversial from a Stableford!), receiving a 2 shot cut as a result.

Handicap

Wow, this is a longer diatribe than I set out for. I am killing time at work though. So, I started out with 23, soon found myself up to 23.4, then smashed it down to 21. Stayed there for a while but now down to a career low 18.5. My target for the year was to get to 20, so very pleased. Outside my office window there is a man talking to a Pigeon. All sorts around here.

Strengths

Finding bunkers
Slicing on request
Woodland navigation

Weaknesses

Putting
Buying Putters
Selling Putters

Memorable Moment

5 down in the opening round of our Rabbit Match play comp (my first experience of the format) after 10 holes, but then rising like Lazarus to win the match 1UP on the last. As it stands, I’m in the semi-final!

Next Season Goals

Lower my handicap to 15 and try not to take 4 shots escaping the captains bunker on the 18th.

If you have made it this far, I applaud and thank you for your dedication and/or boredom.

p.s. The man outside our office has moved on, but the Pigeon remains and looks suitably offended.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
your 9 mths into your 'journey' and you post this, dread to think what it will be like when your a vet:eek:

P.S Pigeons are called Doo's up here.....no idea why, just thought I'd share

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
For all those who are concerned, the offended and the disappointed pigeon have now left. Whether or not this was the same pigeon will never now be known. Should he/she/they return, I will judge his/her/their mood and inform you all accordingly.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to help anyone out there that struggles reading the body language of pigeons, i have found some pictures that may help.

Happy pigeon

happy.jpg

Angry Pigeon

mad.jpg

Really Angry Pigeon

rage.jpg

Sad Pigeon

sad.jpg

Mafia Pigeon

gangster.jpg

Gay Pigeon

gay.jpg

Dead Pigeon

dead.jpg

Hopefully that clears a few things up for people.