Petition: Make The Masters and The Open free-to-air

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Masters no, Open yes.

I think it would be better to put another prominent British golfing event as free to air with the open, trilby tour maybe?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do people think that the BBC (or other free channel) would do a decent job presenting a sport that they. Don’t usually deal with? Would they get the calibration of experts and presenters ( irrespective of what you think of the Sky ones)? Would they bother with, or be able to use, top tracer and all the rest of the expensive gadgets that are available?
My thoughts are that we should leave the coverage to the regular providers and not have a cheap, budget version on free to air.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think including The Masters is blurring the issue for me. I would also agree that the Ryder Cup would being shown on free-to-air would be good for the game. Real theatre which is what people like.

Interesting article here. I know it's 5 years old but on it the R&A made a commitment to
Britain's top sports commit to free-to-air television
It looks like they've pulled away from that totally now.
The thing is, if other sports can have some of their blue chip events on Free-to-Air, why can't the R&A.

There is a breakdown of how it's all worked out here.
Ofcom Code on Sports and Other Listed and Designated Events
In which The Open and the Ryder Cup are listed as Category B - events can be shown on pay television, provided sufficient secondary coverage (highlights, delayed broadcast, etc.) is made to free-to-air broadcasters

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The constant ad breaks on the PGA Tour are down to the host broadcaster and not Sky. assume that’s what your talking about as Roe does the commentary. There are far fewer breaks during tournaments held in the UK where Sky are the host.

How so? You reckon the lads at sky just sit on their thumbs when a pga event goes on an ad break and are powerless ;)
If sky chose to have zero ad breaks on a feed from a US broadcaster then they can (they won't and why should they) but it doesn't change that sky can have as many or as few breaks as they want

The host broadcaster does not mandate when a UK channel goes to an ad break

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
How so? You reckon the lads at sky just sit on their thumbs when a pga event goes on an ad break and are powerless ;)
If sky chose to have zero ad breaks on a feed from a US broadcaster then they can (they won't and why should they) but it doesn't change that sky can have as many or as few breaks as they want

The host broadcaster does not mandate when a UK channel goes to an ad break

I think when sky host you can see they have less ads. When they don't control it, they have no idea how long a break will be, or when it will occur. So they can't plan little segments.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think when sky host you can see they have less ads. When they don't control it, they have no idea how long a break will be, or when it will occur. So they can't plan little segments.

In comparison we know there are fewer ads on UK TV, but still doesn't mean sky are forced into an ad break, they don't have to invent filler material either, they just have to choose to continue to show the live feed that they still receive even when a US broadcast goes to a break

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
In comparison we know there are fewer ads on UK TV, but still doesn't mean sky are forced into an ad break, they don't have to invent filler material either, they just have to choose to continue to show the live feed that they still receive even when a US broadcast goes to a break

I’m not sure they get a constant live feed, there are lots of times when they stop,showing any live golf and go to the studios when broadcasters are switching. So it may well be they do get the exact same feed as the us shows and they simply go To breaks as and when they are shown.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the same goes for the viewer (on Sky) just press the pause button when an add break occurs and make a cup of tea/whatever then flick through to the next segment when required.

You don't have to stay in sync with the host broadcaster, the repackager or anyone!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
TV licence - charged because of the BBC. So we're paying for coverage in one way or another. The difference is with Sky we can choose to pay for their services or not. Scrap the BBC and the licence.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK. For the millionth time. Broadcast television is dying out. This is a backwards looking discussion, the next generation of golfers are not watching free to air channels like we used to 30 years ago. They’re not watching any live sport like we used to.

This petition is bizarre frankly.

I think you could actually delete the word golfers from that statement.

Both of my children and their friends and family virtually never watch free to air channels.