Petition: Make The Masters and The Open free-to-air

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely the whole point is growing (or maintaining) the game by maximising access to it and awareness of it. That's The Masters, The Open and The Ryder Cup.

No golfers in my family, I got interested watching Seve win in 84 at St Andrews and that was cemented by watch the 85 Ryder Cup.......... if those had been on Sky, I wouldn't have seen either.

Sky are paying the cash and doing a grand job, but they are only preaching to the converted!

One point that you mention here is one I think that is important. I think having the Ryder Cup on free to air would do more than having the open etc on. I know plenty of non golfers who can really get in to watching the ryder cup. The format is more exciting and easier to follow and the atmosphere is one that they are more appreciative of rather than the usual reverential silence.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I genuinely couldn't care less. Sky has killed golf in my eyes and I've lost interest. As I said in the other thread Mark Roe is a big enough reason to turn off and that's before you add in the constant add breaks and crap that is spouted.

When I was younger I used to love the Open from 0700 till 1900 - uninterrupted coverage.

Add break after add break is just monotonous.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
personally, i pref the Sky coverage, BBC is just terrible, trying to appeal to non golfers while forgetting its the no1 golf Tournament in the world and golfers want to watch it.

lets not also forget the BBC didn't bid for it and have little or no interest in golf anyway

D

Deleted member 23270

I don't understand why there is is an opposition to this. Free top quality golf, what's not to like?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I don't understand why there is is an opposition to this. Free top quality golf, what's not to like?

I presume Sky make more money of the majors and big events. Subsidising the lower return from lesser comps.

I’m much happier paying for the Open and getting golf every week (if I choose to watch) than them in theory losing a quarter of their budget and cutting events shown.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I understand the issue with The Open as it's a British event, but the Masters has nothing to do with the us, it's an American event with some British participation..

No actually it's a Scottish event that was hijacked by the English and rebranded as the British open, and yes the open should be free to air,

Where exactly is this "re-branding" you refer to?

I'd maybe go for, The Open Championship is held around the British Isles, whereas The Masters is held in the U.S.A.

Swango1980

Visit site
Personally, I prefer it on Sky. I'm willing to pay the Sky subscription to get, what I believe, top quality broadcasting on the golf. Even if the Open was to become free to air, every other golf tournament would still be on Sky, and I would still have to pay my Sky subscription (for that, the football and the Formula 1, all of which I watch). So, that would mean having to live with, very likely, a much poorer quality broadcast once The Open comes along. That is only an assumption, but I can't see a broadcaster such as BBC, ITV or Channel 4 having the same sort of money as Sky to invest in it.

Fair enough, a person who does not have Sky is very likely to have a desire for the free option. Not disputing that. However, if The Open is one of the so called flagship events on the calendar, either someone like the BBC are going to have to pay a massive amount to win the rights, or the people that own the rights are going to have to lose out on making a lot of money out of it because the likes of Sky are not throwing a lot of money at them (I think I've got that right?). So, would that not be like requesting that the biggest boxing fight of the year, such as Fury v Wilder, should be free to air, and the less popular fights can be on subscription TV?

Maybe, instead of The Open, another more minor event such as The Scottish or The Irish Open could be made free to air in the UK. After all, if that makes people enthusiastic, they may invest in watching The Open that is not long after. Even if you don't have Sky, can you not just get Now TV and spend something like £15 for a week pass to get the Sports? If so, it is not a huge amount of money.

I agree what others say about The Masters. Not sure how that can be made free to air in the UK when The Masters is not a UK event or owned by the UK. Not sure how much the rights are, but could the BBC or ITV afford to win the rights if competing against Sky?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I presume Sky make more money of the majors and big events. Subsidising the lower return from lesser comps.

I’m much happier paying for the Open and getting golf every week (if I choose to watch) than them in theory losing a quarter of their budget and cutting events shown.

I agree. If Sky lost the exclusivity, then their quality and weekly golf would suffer. I know Jacko doesn't agree ( re quality ?), but I remember BBC 's outstanding attribute was not seeing the thing through to the end, if it overran their schedule. Either change channel, or see it later. Whichever is a terrible way to present what should be live sport.
I enjoy Sky's thorough presentation of golf, much more than just the playing of the shots. And commentary is not something to get upset about. There are more than one employed doing it.
As for attracting new blood. I don't believe it influences as much as suggested by some.
People not interested in golf don't watch it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I agree. If Sky lost the exclusivity, then their quality and weekly golf would suffer. I know Jacko doesn't agree ( re quality ?), but I remember BBC 's outstanding attribute was not seeing the thing through to the end, if it overran their schedule. Either change channel, or see it later. Whichever is a terrible way to present what should be live sport.
I enjoy Sky's thorough presentation of golf, much more than just the playing of the shots. And commentary is not something to get upset about. There are more than one employed doing it.
As for attracting new blood. I don't believe it influences as much as suggested by some.
People not interested in golf don't watch it.

Totally agree re the influence of it being on TV. Wimbledon is plastered everywhere and realistically we've had two decent players come through that may have watched the BBC growing up.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Where exactly is this "re-branding" you refer to?

I'd maybe go for, The Open Championship is held around the British Isles, whereas The Masters is held in the U.S.A.
It was and should still be a Scottish event, now it's a British event, thats what i mean with rebranded

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nope keep it the way it is.

But you bash on with your silly petition I'm sure you know it's a wast of time anyway .

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
No actually it's a Scottish event that was hijacked by the English and rebranded as the British open, and yes the open should be free to air,
As far as I'm aware it's never been rebranded as the British open, it is just the open, it's the Americans who call it the British to distinguish it from the u.s open. I'm a scot aswell and agree that anything Scottish becomes british, andy murray is s prime example ?