People watching

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've had the opportunity to do a fair amount of it recently and things aren't getting any better, certainly in conversations.
My dad taught me if someone is talking, listen, you might learn something to your advantage.
Then, think about what you've just learned, formulate an opinion and then and only then, reply.

It's basically not possible to do that when the other person is still talking and you interupt them.
Tv interviewers, I'm looking at you.
Ask your questions one at a time and shut the hell up.
My dad was wise

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I've had the opportunity to do a fair amount of it recently and things aren't getting any better, certainly in conversations.
My dad taught me if someone is talking, listen, you might learn something to your advantage.
Then, think about what you've just learned, formulate an opinion and then and only then, reply.

It's basically not possible to do that when the other person is still talking and you interupt them.
Tv interviewers, I'm looking at you.
Ask your questions one at a time and shut the hell up.
My dad was wise

There are certain TV presenters who have me reaching for the remote when they get going. Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty on BBC Breakfast are both just downright rude. Never, ever let the interviewee have their say, always interrupting, especially when they are working to an agenda.

But the worst? Rachel Burden. I absolutely cannot abide the woman. I remember she was once interviewing a cop on 5 Live, the topic being assaults on emergency workers. The cop was explaining the impact of serious assaults on colleagues when Burden interrupted and, with barely concealed contempt, said “Well, you do get to retire relatively young on a generous pension, don’t you?” Like police officers should accept being punched, kicked and spat at because of the retirement benefits.

To say I was fuming was an understatement. It just typified how certain sections of the media will turn any situation to their advantage agenda wise, regardless of how stupid it makes them look.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have interviewed a few celebrities in recent years at the British par 3 and if I look at the very first ones (2017 or 2018) to the last lot I did I can see I improved (still not great) and at least let them speak. It isn't an easy thing to do although I would expect news journalists doing it every day (and probably with training) to be better than they are in some cases

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you watch the great classic interviewers like Parkinson it was one of their great skills, the celebs were there to tell their own stories not to listen to them

unlike some of the modern ones like Graham Norton who wants celebs to listen to him.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can sympathise a bit with people conducting interviews when the person doesn't answer the question or continues to ramble on, not an easy job all the time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you watch the great classic interviewers like Parkinson it was one of their great skills, the celebs were there to tell their own stories not to listen to them

unlike some of the modern ones like Graham Norton who wants celebs to listen to him.
Parky was brilliant, especially with the likes of Billy Connolly, Parky couldn't get a word in edgeways.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There are certain TV presenters who have me reaching for the remote when they get going. Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty on BBC Breakfast are both just downright rude. Never, ever let the interviewee have their say, always interrupting, especially when they are working to an agenda.

But the worst? Rachel Burden. I absolutely cannot abide the woman. I remember she was once interviewing a cop on 5 Live, the topic being assaults on emergency workers. The cop was explaining the impact of serious assaults on colleagues when Burden interrupted and, with barely concealed contempt, said “Well, you do get to retire relatively young on a generous pension, don’t you?” Like police officers should accept being punched, kicked and spat at because of the retirement benefits.

To say I was fuming was an understatement. It just typified how certain sections of the media will turn any situation to their advantage agenda wise, regardless of how stupid it makes them look.
This this and this, they are pig ignorant. Yes sometimes, esp politicians don’t answer the specific question. But if you don’t get the answer you want to your chosen question. Tough luck. Don’t be rude and try push an agenda. At times watching and hearing them two is like being on the forum 😉

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Think the counter is to ask the journalists if they were investigated by HMRC would all of their expenses stand up to the scrutiny… as they love a free lunch 🤣

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Not sure Meg Ryan would agree with you about Parkinson.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm not overly nostalgic about Parky, different era, different demands, but she was awful that day. She just didn't want to be there, didn't hide it. It was nothing he did, she was unprofessional.
He later said they were both in the wrong.
Rewatch it see what you think.

Personally I thought he was awful with her.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He later said they were both in the wrong.
Rewatch it see what you think.

Personally I thought he was awful with her.
She wasn't as bad as I remember but I'm still with Parky on this 🤷‍♂️. Interviews and media, promotion etc are part of the job. I don't think he hit her with any hard or awkward questions, not until she made it clear she didn't want to be there.

I remember hearing Nick Frost talking about promoting a film. He said there were 3 clear parts of making a film. Pre production, filming, promoting the film. All 3 aspects are equally important. He felt that his job wasn't finished until the promotional tour was over. Stopping after doing 2 of the 3 was not acceptable. That has stuck with me.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
She wasn't as bad as I remember but I'm still with Parky on this 🤷‍♂️. Interviews and media, promotion etc are part of the job. I don't think he hit her with any hard or awkward questions, not until she made it clear she didn't want to be there.

I remember hearing Nick Frost talking about promoting a film. He said there were 3 clear parts of making a film. Pre production, filming, promoting the film. All 3 aspects are equally important. He felt that his job wasn't finished until the promotional tour was over. Stopping after doing 2 of the 3 was not acceptable. That has stuck with me.
Yeah,suppose some aren’t as good at it.
He probably felt like it was like getting blood from a stone.
But they’re not all going to be like Tom Cruise.
Parkinson handled it terribly imo tho.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the issue can also be aimed at those not listening to the question but rather wanting to answer based on their own agenda….maybe that’s why there are premature interruptions.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the issue can also be aimed at those not listening to the question but rather wanting to answer based on their own agenda….maybe that’s why there are premature interruptions.
Exactly, they're not listening to word the other person is saying, they're just waiting for their turn to talk.

What makes me smile sometimes is when someone asks a question and then asks the same question in about 3 different ways, maybe even giving multiple choice answers. In the meantime, the first person has already answered the question.
''do you think he enjoyed coming home''? Yes ''bearing in mind he's been away for so long so might not like the changes he sees because some people don't like change and keep them away for weeks, months or even years. So do you think he's missed it a bit, not a lot or missed it loads''? Yes

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Billyboots: "Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty on BBC Breakfast are both just downright rude."
I saw them once as guests on Saturday Kitchen. You missed out " arrogant, condescending, self centred and obnoxious". They constantly interrupted and saw themselves as the "star guests". They were embarrassing but thought they were so, so clever with their heckling and exchanged looks and laughter.
Pair of asterisks!